PQ observation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
I recorded the seasons of "Last Resort" and Revolution". All episodes of "Last Resort" were measured at around 1500mb and all episodes of "Revolution" measured around 6500mb. I switched back and forth several times comparing PQ and I could see no differences. Anybody tech savey enough to explain this?

First off, it isn't possible to compare the difference in PQ using two different shows. You need to consider the difference between OTA and what DISH delivers as that's the only comparison than can realistically be made.

The shooting style of Last Resort is relatively dark and as such, it probably compresses pretty well.

I can't fathom that anything in MPEG4 could require 6.5GB for a one hour show. That's rising to near the level of Blu-ray.

Both shows were stored and watched from my EHD which does not show time but bites. Every episode of "Last Resort is in the 1500 range And every episode of "Revolution" is 6500 or above. I'm watching them right now. One may have been recorded via OTA which is my preference whenever possible. That's a 5,000 difference. I was quite surprised when I saw this. You can tell that the numbers are accurate when you see how much longer the 6500 takes to delete. That just seems like a pretty big difference between OTA and sat even considering the 1080i vs 720P comparison.Could the specific shooting studio make a difference?

If sounds like the Revolution recordings were OTA and Last Resort was Dish locals and there would be a large difference between mpeg 2 OTA and mpeg 4 satellite locals

I have noted in the "Has Dish changed its OTA rebroadcasts?" thread that the size of Local-into-local" broadcasts for ABQ has gone up on at least some shows. It is getting near the OTA level of 5500 to 6500MB/hr instead of the normal Dish MPEG-4 level of 1500 to 2000MB/hr. Noted for PBS and NBC. The best suggestion was that they shifted transponder and reduced the compression--we have 2 it seems. This pleases viewers but not my archiving self--limited disk space.

-Ken

My experience with Albuquerque satellite locals looks like approximately 1500MB on average for Last Resort, and 2200MB for Revolution. OTA can make a big difference so any recording of 6500MB must have been OTA. I have a 1 Hr 4Min recording OTA from KRQE (1080i and no sub channels so it is the best looking local) that used up 8231MB.

If sounds like the Revolution recordings were OTA and Last Resort was Dish locals and there would be a large difference between mpeg 2 OTA and mpeg 4 satellite locals

Picture quality has really come down. Too many channels per TP. Too bad they don't have a high picture quality package and a low HD PQ package. Being with DISH for 16 years I can tell you it's down. If you have a 19" HDTV it will look great, but when you get to 50" plus, forget it.:fencing:

Picture quality has really come down. Too many channels per TP. Too bad they don't have a high picture quality package and a low HD PQ package. Being with DISH for 16 years I can tell you it's down. If you have a 19" HDTV it will look great, but when you get to 50" plus, forget it.:fencing:

It's ok, but not great for the amount of money I pay each month. I watch on 65, 60, 50 and 37 inch lcd and plasma's. I am still amazed how much better HD episodes from the BBC thru my vpn and my Hulu + account look now when compared to Dish, Directv, OTA and cable.

Compression has it's place, but I am still of the opinion about 50-60 niche channels of repeats, looped programming and infomercials need to go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)