PQ on 6000 vs. 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cameron119

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
What are your opinions regarding the picture quality via component on the 6000 vs. the 811? It seems to me that the 6000 picture is a bit grainier and a bit brighter...I had to adjust contrast and brightness to a lower level to compensate and that eliminated some of the excessive grain.

The 6000 is definitely stable and can lock onto OTA stations that the 811 can only dream of locking onto.

I purchased the 6000 for my Component-only (no DVI) set in the living room and will be moving my 811 to a DVI and Component LCD.

cameron119 said:
What are your opinions regarding the picture quality via component on the 6000 vs. the 811? It seems to me that the 6000 picture is a bit grainier and a bit brighter...I had to adjust contrast and brightness to a lower level to compensate and that eliminated some of the excessive grain.

The 6000 is definitely stable and can lock onto OTA stations that the 811 can only dream of locking onto.

I purchased the 6000 for my Component-only (no DVI) set in the living room and will be moving my 811 to a DVI and Component LCD.

My experience on locking in on OTA was a bit different. My 811 got more channels than my 6000 and its OTA picture has been rock solid. I know that the 811 is more finicky and picky about signal but in my case the OTA is more solid. PQ on the 811 I find is a tad better with most content. Dark content the 6000 did a better job.

As for reliability. My experience has been that the my 811 has not been reboot since the last update. I still get the aquiring signal like the 6000, but the guide features and the themes rock compared to the 6000.

OH... and I am sure you will get wide varying reponses with this question... PQ is subject to say the least and it is different depending on TV, input etc. And for future opinions we all know the Svideo and composite sucks so might be good to keep it to component/RGB vs. component/DVI

Hi guys can you help me decide which is the better deal? I can get a 811 from E* for 199.00 if I use credit card auto pay if not it is 229.00 I believe that is right. Or I can find a 6000 for around 200.00 I think. So I'm assuming that E* will get the software issues fixed on the 811 and if they do fix it do you think it will be the better unit and has anyone had trouble getting one from E* because they told me to hurry up and order it if I was going to due to the fact that they are going very fast. Thanks

It's always best to begin a new thread with a new question.

However, I believe the 6000 is an excellent product if you don't need DVI. The 811 is still a great product, and I do own one and can recommend it as well.

Whatever you can get for the cheapest. Although the 811's inability to reject multipath with the current software is causing the 49% issue IMO.

Well cameron that brings me to another question. How much better is the DVI compared to the component. Is there really that big of difference especially when you use high dollar Monster cables? I have no experience with either way although my TV utilizes both form factors. Thanks

Just do a search on these forums. It's a question that is answered quite often.

If you have a CRT-based RPTV or direct-view, there is no reason to use DVI-I. You aren't likely to see any improvement (unless the component outputs are particularly poor, which they aren't on the 6000 and 811).

A DVI-I cable need not be expensive. It's carrying a digital stream of data that will either make it or it won't make it, period.

With Component, an ultra-cheap cable vs. a reasonably priced good quality cable can/will make a difference since component is analog.

I'd like to hear more from 811 and 6000 owners regarding differences in PQ.

What Caneron says about using good analog cable is true. He didn't complete it though - Monster Cable is WAY overpriced (this has been discussed at length elsewhere). There's lots of reasonably priced cable out there that's just as good.

Thanks Guys I appreciate the info. I already bought the Monster Cable so I just as well use it. Your point is well taken about searching and from now on I'll try to use it. I just got caught up in the moment and wanted to be a part of the thread hee hee hee :)

cameron119 said:
Just do a search on these forums. It's a question that is answered quite often.

If you have a CRT-based RPTV or direct-view, there is no reason to use DVI-I. You aren't likely to see any improvement (unless the component outputs are particularly poor, which they aren't on the 6000 and 811).

A DVI-I cable need not be expensive. It's carrying a digital stream of data that will either make it or it won't make it, period.

With Component, an ultra-cheap cable vs. a reasonably priced good quality cable can/will make a difference since component is analog.

I'd like to hear more from 811 and 6000 owners regarding differences in PQ.

Like I said earlier. With by Sony GWII RP LCD the 811 with DVI gave me a slightly better picture than my 6000 did. Both were excellent on HD and average with SD. Did not expect a lot stretching the picture to 60". The bit streams are optimized for a 27" TV if I recall. So I expect a bit of fuzz on this configuration. WHat pushes me to the 811 is that the 6000 is end of life and is really processor contraint. You can feel it and the IR bug last year shows how constraint it is. The 811 is not there yet so they have room to work with and add features. If I was getting one and making a choice for the first time, there would be no choice.. 811 and deal with the quirks. Even with the dark video issue. (I am hoping this gets fully addressed)

The one thing that really improved my PQ was a power conditionar. This did better than anything else I tried. Maybe AC is dirty here and I am sure mileage may vary, but that did improve things.

On the Monstor cables, I echo Simon and Camerons opinions. Thought I tend to go high end on the cables when Analog, I usually go with the high end AR(AcousticResearch). They are cheaper than monstor and I have had good luck with them.

Do a search on Monstor and you will see a lot o threads discussing this issue....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)