Praise for the Wally

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I have had a Hopper w/Sling, then a 211k, now I have 2 Wally's. Now that I've had a couple of weeks to experiment, I have to say I am tremendously impressed. For a single tuner receiver + optional external hard drive and a broadband connection, this thing opens up whole new worlds for our household. I find the search and guide functions to be very intuitive, and the Netflix integration is helpful.

Previously, my 13-year-old daughter would never switch to the Dish receiver and watch anything. She would always fire up the Roku and watch Netflix. Now, since the Wally has a "Home" screen that integrates the DVR and the apps, she always goes to Dish first, and then decides between movies on the DVR or Netflix.

While I still believe that IP is the future of TV delivery, I think these new receivers will help carry Dish for a long time to come before satellite delivery fades away.

A job well done, IMO. Now I'm just waiting for the dual tuner functionality in the OTA adapter.

I've had a Wally since almost its inception. Thank goodness they've finally worked out most of the bugs.

My new OTA adapter isn't working well. I want to delete channels and there isn't any obvious way to "Save" changes made to the list

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My new OTA adapter isn't working well. I want to delete channels and there isn't any obvious way to "Save" changes made to the list

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
You simply check the channels you want to delete, press Delete annd then exit out. The deletes channel should be gone. There is auto save. I just proved that by deleting a channel I never watch and it is gone.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
You simply check the channels you want to delete, press Delete annd then exit out. The deletes channel should be gone. There is auto save. I just proved that by deleting a channel I never watch and it is gone.

That worked. Thanks. Now the issue is that some of the guide data is on the wrong channels. Very odd and buggy!

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

One other thing I haven't yet figured out; why doesn't the Wally 52.0 remote control have a REC button? Or a STOP button? I find myself fumbling to figure out how to do either.

The CUI is designed differently although you can still use a 40 remote and use those buttons. In order to simplify the 50 and 52 remotes by having less buttons you have to things a bit differently. In order to record, in the same fashion as the 40 remote, on the 50 remote, press the back button. This will bring up a window that will include a 'record' button. If you are presently recording, press the back button and you will see a 'stop' button...

The CUI is designed differently although you can still use a 40 remote and use those buttons. In order to simplify the 50 and 52 remotes by having less buttons you have to things a bit differently. In order to record, in the same fashion as the 40 remote, on the 50 remote, press the back button. This will bring up a window that will include a 'record' button. If you are presently recording, press the back button and you will see a 'stop' button...

Is the 40 remote UHF like the 52? Or is it infrared?

That's likely not the receiver's fault. It's likely a guide issue on Dish's end. If it's that type of issue, it affects all Dish receivers, not just Wally models.
No it happens to mine also. It's not an info issue its just that the info aligns improperly on the ota channels but it fixes itself overnight with the new info. All of the ota info is incorrectly lowered a channel sometimes.

I thought thread was about THE Wally.

thumb.aspx

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've had a Wally since almost its inception. Thank goodness they've finally worked out most of the bugs.

Does this include fixing the "needing all three satellites" bug? Can anyone say for sure if it will work with only 1 or 2 satellites? I get different answers depending on who I ask.

I really want to buy one for my RV, but if this issue still exists I'll have to get a '211z.

Does this include fixing the "needing all three satellites" bug? Can anyone say for sure if it will work with only 1 or 2 satellites? I get different answers depending on who I ask.

I really want to buy one for my RV, but if this issue still exists I'll have to get a '211z.

I'm using it on an Eastern Arc dish with only 61.5 and 72. Never had an issue.

Thanks. The complaints I've been seeing posted since late summer 2016 have all referenced problems with WA, with a fix promised "soon". I haven't been able to find anyone who is using it on WA with only 1 or 2 satts. I'd assume it's been fixed by now, but two vendors on Amazon have told me within the last month it was not.

I'm not 100 percent sure I know what you mean by the "needing all three satellites" bug, but I'll tell you what I know. I had to move my dish the other day because a limb started blocking the 129 satellite. For several weeks I had all my flex pack channels on the wally including locals, but without hd. So based on that I would say I did not have to have all three satellites (129 was missing) to watch tv.

Thanks 77TA. That's exactly what I meant - I'll be in campgrounds and will be very lucky to always "see" 110/119/129. I carry a 1000.2 & TV4RV tripod, but one of the replacement RVs I've been looking at had a manual single-LNB antenna that I'd probably aim at 110. Even with quirks (like my Hopper 3 doesn't have any?) the size and RF remote make the Wally a good choice for an RV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)