pre wire for future tv

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I would like to pre wire a new room for a new tv
I would assume that I would be adding a joey to this tv and want to run new cable from my HWS.
I presently have a wireless access point & wireless joey connected to this HWS.
Would RF^ cabling be ok to run to the new tv location. I am also going to run a cat 6 cable from
my router/modem to this same location.

You need to run RG-6 cable from the node or whatever "splitter" is included with your Hopper system to the new room plus the Cat 6 internet cable. Preferably put it in at least a 1 inch inside diameter PVC pipe and leave a cord in there so you can pull other communications wire in the future. Also avoid 90 degree bends instead use two 45 degree bends fairly close to each other, this will ease the pulling of more wire.

• Love
Reactions: navychop
thanks for the response
I was just going to run the coax & cat 6 & connect them to a wall plate until the room is complete
Just wanted to make sure RF6 was the correct coax

Would a wireless joey be able to acquire the signal thru a brick wall from the adjoining room.
That is where the access point is located

********* whoops.......I misread your response **********
If I added another Joey, the cable would have to come from the node & not from the HWS or access point?
If that is the case, that is another problem all together.
Wouldn't that mean the node had to changed as well?

There is a device called a tap (190506) that can be placed between the node and the Host (H3) to add a client (Joey), but either way there is a bit of work to be done in the attic or wherever the node is. Either replace a single node with a dual or insert a tap between the Hopper and the node. Replacing the single node with a dual requires no cable splicing.
20220816_095831.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've had a wireless Joey on my deck for three years and got tired of the dropouts (the access point was 10 feet away on the other side of the wall) so I ran RG 6 and Cat 6 to the deck.
I use the Cat 6 to feed the Joey even though Dish doesn't support it. It works great and the dropouts have stopped. A bonus is that I have ethernet to my Apple TV. I don't use the coax but I was running wire anyway so...
By the way, and you may already know this but, don't run the coax and ethernet too close to power it can cause interference in the signal.

There is a device called a tap (190506) that can be placed between the node and the Host (H3) to add a client (Joey), but either way there is a bit of work to be done in the attic or wherever the node is. Either replace a single node with a dual or insert a tap between the Hopper and the node. Replacing the single node with a dual requires no cable splicing.View attachment 158006
I already have a dual node as it feed 2 HWS
The node is mounted to the dish on the roof of the house
how does that change what needs to be done
I am trying to do as much of this as I can

I've had a wireless Joey on my deck for three years and got tired of the dropouts (the access point was 10 feet away on the other side of the wall) so I ran RG 6 and Cat 6 to the deck.
I use the Cat 6 to feed the Joey even though Dish doesn't support it. It works great and the dropouts have stopped. A bonus is that I have ethernet to my Apple TV. I don't use the coax but I was running wire anyway so...
By the way, and you may already know this but, don't run the coax and ethernet too close to power it can cause interference in the signal.
This sounds pretty simple, how do I connect everything to accomplish this?

This sounds pretty simple, how do I connect everything to accomplish this?
I just connected the Hopper and the Joey via Ethernet to the network switch. I think it creates its own moca path so they don’t interfere with the other computers and Wi-Fi network plugged into the switch. I did have to restart the Joey a couple of times for it to connect to the Hopper but after that everything has been stable. Almost a year now.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
There is a device called a tap (190506) that can be placed between the node and the Host (H3) to add a client (Joey), but either way there is a bit of work to be done in the attic or wherever the node is. Either replace a single node with a dual or insert a tap between the Hopper and the node. Replacing the single node with a dual requires no cable splicing.

View attachment 158006
Just don't use this particular tap, It doesn't work with Hybrid Systems.

This is the correct Tap that works across both DPP and XIP Systems

1660735986983.png

bnewt
Your terms are all messed up here. If you're running coax from the Hopper, Jim is right, use a Tap. If you're using Wireless, the access point connects to the Hopper via Ethernet and sends out a wireless signal to the Wireless Joey and a brick wall between rooms will not impede the signal. Wireless Joeys are more convenient, but do not have the performance of a wired Joey. You're way behind in technology with a Duo Node and DPP system. Not to mention paying a lot more money than you would with a hopper 3 and a Joey3 replacing the 2nd Hopper and other Joeys.

yes, I know about the Hopper 3, but really wouldn't be saving that much over 2 HWS, would I?
Wouldn't I have to run new cabling to replace the 2nd HWS with a 4K Joey?
What would happen to the cable from the satellite dish to the HWS being replaced?

Reactions: HipKat
IIRC for the third wired Joey you use a tap anywhere between the Hopper and the node.
so I could remove the coax to the HWS, insert the tap and the add a RF6 coax from the tap to the HWS & connect
the coax to the new room to the other side of the tap.
Could I terminate the new room coax to a wall plate & when the room is ready, add a cable from the face plate to the joey?

yes, I know about the Hopper 3, but really wouldn't be saving that much over 2 HWS, would I?
Wouldn't I have to run new cabling to replace the 2nd HWS with a 4K Joey?
What would happen to the cable from the satellite dish to the HWS being replaced?
I don’t know if you have any deals for being grandfathered in but a Hopper sling is typically $15 a month, a Joey is $7 so there’s eight dollars a month right there. Also, by doing an upgrade you could quite probably get them to lower your bill overall to a new customers rate if not close to that.

I don’t really like the idea of a solo node or any kind of connector being mounted to the dish. Of course I don’t know where your dishes installed at your house so quite possibly it just made better sense but I’ve seen technicians do that because of laziness, in Lou of running cable to a better location but with a hopper three you only need one cable coming out of the dish, not three and that great big duo note would become a hub.

The real advantage though, in my opinion, is now you have a cutting edge system that should you decide to go with the hopper plus, my belief is that it will work better than a hopper sling. It’s a 4K receiver, you can probably get the Joey fours installed either way, which are 4K and the performance is much better than what you’re getting with your older equipment now. not to mention the huge increase in recording capabilities.

Reactions: charlesrshell
my dish and dual node are mounted on the chimney
I do intend to upgrade when there is something in 4k to watch
Right now there isn't really anything, except maybe streaming & unfortunately I don't have very fast internet service.
Supposedly in a few months, we are supposed to have fiber optic with up to 1 gb.......if it happens
as far as the hopper plus, not really sure what that is supposed to accomplish and I don't like to be in the group to try new things.
I like to wait till all of the bugs are worked out

In my Spec home that I bought when it was just a frame, I wired in CAT6 and RG6 cable into every room where there's a possibility of a TV going in. Then of course after several years of living in the house I only have 2 rooms with a TV, and I ended up putting my network and cable connection on the wrong side in my home office so I ended up just getting a wireless Joey w/access point But the network outlets come in handy for my home network.

something I read about recently
If I had a 4K joey to a 4k tv, connected to HWS, the tv with the 4K joey can receive 4K programming.
Is that correct?

Suggest that you consider getting a couple of the Dishnet MOCA adapters instead of the Ethernet cables. These seem to work very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts