Preference for home use: Desktop or Laptop

If you were to purchase a new computer today for home use only, would you...

• Buy the old faithful desktop

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • Buy a Laptop

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm just curious what the latest trends are leaning towards now with the large popularity of laptops. If you went today and purchased a new computer that would only be used in your home. Would you still buy the old faithful desktop or would you go with a laptop? And why?

I said desktop because usually for the same $'s you can get more bang for the buck. You mentioned video, if you have any thoughs about doing any editing of HD videos (HD camcorder prices coming down) you'll need that horsepower for that.

I went Mac about a year ago and love my MacBook. As a Windows systems admin and Linux dabbler, I wanted a computer that was not susceptible to malware and portable. My MacBook has a place in the living room, dining room, garage and so on.

That said, desktops are a better value period. You get the most processing power for the least amount of money. Usually signifantly more storage and other bells and whistles. Most people don't really "use" computers as they used to, even my personal usage is about 95% web and e-mail. You can do that on a good 486 still. For what you are looking to do, you could just get a Netbook too. Those are cheap and portable.

I said desktop because usually for the same $'s you can get more bang for the buck. You mentioned video, if you have any thoughs about doing any editing of HD videos (HD camcorder prices coming down) you'll need that horsepower for that.

Mostly agree. You can get laptops with pretty good graphics and processing power these days, but what is the point unless you have a need to be protable? If it is just going to sit on a desk, get the desktop.

Mostly agree. You can get laptops with pretty good graphics and processing power these days, but what is the point unless you have a need to be protable? If it is just going to sit on a desk, get the desktop.

I agree with this. I personally would go with a laptop though as I like taking my laptop to different rooms in the house to use.

Again, I agree with those who say it depends on the task needed.

I have 4 cpu's at my work station with a KVM switch. 3 are for video editing and one is for my business applications, accounting and web surfing.

I also keep my laptop at my desk. This is primarily for e-mail and I take it with me when I travel. My wife has a laptop in the kitchen she uses daily.

Why do you have to choose one? Computers are cheap, buy both. Desktop in the home office, laptop in the living room, netbook in the bathroom - oops, is that too much information.

I find using an Pod Touch for casual web browsing and checking on my e-mail, weather, etc., replaces the need for a notebook. For serious computer use, it's a desktop box. If you can live with a 3.5" screen, for $150 (8 GB Refurb) it can give a netbook a run for the money.

However, if you had nothing at home and you wanted something for home and travel, getting a laptop makes sense. You might add a USB keyboard and mouse so long-term typing is more comfortable.

I use both at home. I have a big screen on my desktop, and use the laptop mainly when I am on the couch or bedroom.

I like my big and super fast desktop monster.

My laptop goes pretty much unused until I go on a trip.

The only thing I use my cell phone for is calls and games.I tried to view the web but that was just totally annoying on that small a screen. And after this apple, I will never buy another touch screen device again.

My wife Carol uses a laptop most of the time and I use the new desktop. She loves the mobility. I like the power of the desktop. The next computer purchase will be a more powerful bigger screen laptop for her. If we had to settle on one I would want the desktop and she would want the laptop. And that's the way it goes! :rolleyes: lol

I voted laptop. I use computer all the time and all over the house. A single desktop would not be practical for me.

However, for the price of a good laptop I can buy a desktop and a netbook these days - that might be a good alternative to consider.

I voted Desktop if I can only have one or the other for the fact that if video editing ever came into the picture for you, You do not want to do that on a laptop. It will be hotter than fire when you get done reencoding the video, believe me I have done it and that is why I built me a powerhouse desktop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)