Prewire question

RickVitzthum

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Tenino, Washington
We are getting ready to build a new home and I need to plan my prewire.

First, I will be using QS 3GHz RG6 coax through out the house.

I will have the 4 individual room runs (1-622, 1-211, 2-510s). I think I have the room runs down but I am unsure on the coax runs from the dish to the switch. I will be adding HD content to my E* subscription plus I have sky angel programming from 61.5. I am in Western Washington and have subscriptions to local channels in my E* package.

Which dish(s) and switch do I need to bring this all together? How many coax will I need to run from the dish(s) to the switch?

Hopefully I given enough info. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

You'll probably get a D1000 for the sats. at 110/119/129 slots and a lesser dish (D500?) for the sat. at 61.5. That will require 4 down leads from the dish location to the input ports on your switch which will probably be a DPP44, then 4 runs from the output ports to your receivers. Output port 1 will also have the power inserter in that line - that can be at the switch or at the receiver location. The run to the 622 will be split with the separator that comes with the receiver to feed both sat. inputs. You should plan on extra cables to each location if at all possible, especially to the 622 since it can feed TV2 in another location (or your whole-house system).

Also - you didn't mention if you will add an OTA antenna. Even tho' you'll be getting your locals from E*, if you have the option to receive those channels OTA you're well advised to do so for many reasons including: 1) that may be your only source for your HD locals for some time; 2) the OTA HD picture quality is (usually) superior to that of the HD LiLs; 3) you can take advantage of that 3rd tuner in the 622 to allow you to record up to 3 HD programs at the same time, and; 4) even if you can get your local SD/HD channels from E*, you won't get any of the other digital subchannels via the sat. Having OTA capability also gives you a back-up in case you lose your sat. signal(s) for some reason, but that's rare. If you're planning OTA then it's highly advisable to run separate cables for that altho' you can diplex the OTA signals into/out of the same cables carrying the sat. signals.

Also - it always pays to run extra cables beyond what you can ever imagine needing, for future expandability. Don't forget to run phone cables (cat. 5?) to your tuner locations (at least the 622) to be able to make the phone connection and save the $5/mo. "additional tuner fee". You might also want to consider additional wiring for your home network and HT capabilities if that matters to you. If I were doing it, I'd run the basic stuff now and an empty 1" conduit for future needs, all "home run" to my central equipment center.

Good luck with your installation. I believe you will really like the results!

Welcome, BTW...!

Last edited:
Thanks bhelms!

You nailed all then other wiring I am planning on doing except for the OTA. I live 100+ miles south of Seattle so OTA is pretty poor on standard tv and from I have read, never tried, HD OTA is a no go at that distance.

I appreciate your insight. Again Thanks!!

RickVitzthum said:
We are getting ready to build a new home and I need to plan my prewire.

First, I will be using QS 3GHz RG6 coax through out the house.

I will have the 4 individual room runs (1-622, 1-211, 2-510s). I think I have the room runs down but I am unsure on the coax runs from the dish to the switch. I will be adding HD content to my E* subscription plus I have sky angel programming from 61.5. I am in Western Washington and have subscriptions to local channels in my E* package.

Which dish(s) and switch do I need to bring this all together? How many coax will I need to run from the dish(s) to the switch?

Hopefully I given enough info. Thanks, in advance, for your help.
depends on your budget....
If it was my home I would do the following....Two runs rg-6 to each location....One run cat 5e to each location........For your 622, run one coax to the the room where the seondary (TV 2) will be located..Then for flexibilty, run aditional lines ot rooms you may want to realocate a tv to OR have tv 2 off the 622 to more than one room..
The reason for extra runs is two fold...In case one ever fails or if you ever upgrade to a dual tuner in that location.....
The dish array is ok...A dish 1000 is apporpriate.....I assume 61.5 is a bit low in the sky for you but since you have Sky Angel you can also get HD programiojng off the 61.5 ,..That takes away the need for the D-1000..I have found the HD sigs off 61.5 to be much stronger here..But I am on the East coast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts