Prewiring for Dish 811/510/522 combo

jrapps

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
I am considering ordering DISH but my house is prewired for cable. The configuration that I am thinking of is an 811 in one room, a 510 in the second room, and a 522 for the TVs in the 3rd and 4th room. I know my existing cable wire runs won't work, but I'm unsure how to modify it to be ready for the satellite feeds. Do I run all the wires to a central point in my attic and let the installer connect them to the dish in the attic or on the roof? I am assuming I need to run one coax from the attic to room 1 (for the 811), one coax to the 510 in room 2, and 2 coax lines to the 522 in room 3. Do I also run a coax from room 3 into room 4 for the second output of the 522?

Also, different question...I am going to get the HDTV in a rew months, but I won't have it in time for the install. Will Dish still give me the 811 or will they make me wait until After I buy the HDTV?

Thanks!

Jason

Sounds like you have everything worked out pretty good. That wiring situation will work. I would bring all the wires back to a centralized location in that attic. I always go to the attic entrance that way if there is a problem that is as far as you have to go to try and find a solution, unless it is a cable problem in the middle of the attic somewhere. You can get that 811 receiver without a HDTV, but I believe that you have to sign up with the HD Pak for a year to get it. So you will have to wait to take full advantage of the HD when you get your new TV.

Note about attic installs: if a switch is being put there, make CERTAIN it does not get too hot - and that it has ventilation - don't let it sit in the insulation!

Next, how do you know your existing wiring is not suitable? Sometimes, some of it can be used to save the extra work - it depends on cable type, splitters, etc. At the very least, you should be able to use it to feed the 522's TV2 output from room to room.

SimpleSimon said:
Note about attic installs: if a switch is being put there, make CERTAIN it does not get too hot - and that it has ventilation - don't let it sit in the insulation!

For sure - lets put that switch in the attic!
Hotttest place in the summer and the coolest in winter months.

Next, how do you know your existing wiring is not suitable? Sometimes, some of it can be used to save the extra work - it depends on cable type, splitters, etc. At the very least, you should be able to use it to feed the 522's TV2 output from room to room.
And for sure we want to use some old coax thats been her a while.
We can just sort it all out when we have our first set of problems.

What will I need a switch for? I thought the dish had 4 wires coming from it, one for each tuner.

I can run all 4 wires for the tuners into a closet instead of the attic if I need a switch and if heat is really a concern...but then don't I have to also run coax wires from the closet into the attic near where the dish will be mounted to the roof? How many wires run from the dish to this "switch" ?

Also, I don't remember reading anywhere on the web site that you have to sign up for the HD pack for a year to get the 811 box. One of the main reasons I am choosing Dish over Directv is that I don't have a 1-year commitment!!!!

Thanks for the help guys!

Jason

As long as you are signed up under DHA, you shouldn't have to commit to a year. That is the whole point of DHA.

jrapps said:
What will I need a switch for? I thought the dish had 4 wires coming from it, one for each tuner.

I can run all 4 wires for the tuners into a closet instead of the attic if I need a switch and if heat is really a concern...but then don't I have to also run coax wires from the closet into the attic near where the dish will be mounted to the roof? How many wires run from the dish to this "switch" ? ...
It depends.

If we're talking about a basic D500 for only the 110 & 119 satellites, a Quad LNBF is the answer - 4 wires from the one dish that sees two satellites.

If we're talking about a SuperDish or a core-plus-wing setup, either of which might be required for your chosen programming, then we're talking about something like a DP34 - or even a DPP44 switch.

Well I was going to order the America's Top 120 with Locals, plus HBO and Cinemax. I live in the S. FL area. What programming requires a superdish?

Jason

Forgot to mention the HDTV package as well. So it's America's Top 120 with Locals, plus HDPack, HBO and Cinemax.

Jason

:no Sorry, it's not my job to know what "S. FL" is. :no

Florida has several DMAs. I know at least 2 of the following can be considered "S. FL", maybe more:
W. Palm Beach & Miami are on 119
Panama City is on 105
Talahassee, Jacksonville & Ft. Myers are on 110
Tampa & Orlando are both split on 110 & 61.5
CBS-HD (if you qualify for it) requires 61.5
source: http://www.dishchannelchart.com

105 requires a SuperDish and 61.5 requires a wing dish.

Thank you Simon. For god's sake folks, be specific. S. Florida is a big area. If you're paranoid about giving your real location, at least give us the next town.

For future purposes and to avoid confusion, "South Florida" now means "Chongqing, China."

Sorry about that. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Growing up down here, people who live in Florida generally call the whole Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area "South Florida". Tampa and Ft. Myers are "South West FL", Orlando is in "Central" FL, and Tallahassee and Jacksonville are "North" FL. :)

I know it's weird...but hey, it's Florida! We're weird down here.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion and thanks for the info.

Jason

jrapps said:
Sorry about that. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Growing up down here, people who live in Florida generally call the whole Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area "South Florida". Tampa and Ft. Myers are "South West FL", Orlando is in "Central" FL, and Tallahassee and Jacksonville are "North" FL. :)

I know it's weird...but hey, it's Florida! We're weird down here.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion and thanks for the info.

Jason
It's not just you, a lot of people do that. Regional terms don't fly on international forums, tho. ;)

For example, "everyone" tells me I live in Southern Colorado even though I live 10 miles ENE of the absolute center of the state. The "common wisdom" is that anyone south of the Denver metro area is "southern" even though Denver is well north of center.

P.S. I have family in Miami, Boca, etc. and have heard that area called the "Gold Coast". Considering how wealthy they are, I guess it's true. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts