Prewiring for new construction

jarrodk said:
I purchase 2 500-ft boxes of CAT6 and a 12-point patch panel for $147 delivered. Didn't seem like a bad price at the time.

So I now have five (5) RG-6 cables run from the basement to the location where the dish will be. But I only have one (1) RG-6 cable in each room. I'm assuming I should put a second cable (at the minimum) in each room where a receiver will be located. But Dish mention a DP-34 of DPP-44 switch to be used depending on which dish I use.

Any easy way to explain how to push the signal out from a central location in the basement to each TV location in the house? My current plan is to run 2 cables to each receiver, using one in and one out (which will go back to the basement, and run out to the other connected TV).

Thanks,
Jarrod

This is the 3X8 video distribution panel I'm using from Smarthome but you could just try some splitters first to see how they work. Also Lowe's & Home Depot carry some to try out and return if you don't like the results. Got by with splitters (1X2, 1X3, 1X4) with CRT 13" TVs but when I upgraded and replaced all CRT TV's in house to LCDs had to go back to this powered unit. I have now had this unit for five years and bought it when I built this home and installed the video cabinet with powered outlets. Really surprised that this is still a good part number after so many years, but it works great. If you use something like this and not use all the outlets you should use terminators (caps) on any of the powered outlets to cut any possible interference to other cables. Again I have something like 24 cables and just use a $25 toner (link below)if I want to change my set-up. I have used inputs and outputs all over the house in five years and marking the cables just have not worked for me.

http://www.smarthome.com/7712r.html

http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catID=296&p=2&s=6

http://www.smarthome.com/90405.HTML Toner

http://www.smarthome.com/7808-1.HTML Terminators

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Been a lot of good info passed around on this thread, but don't remember anything about the quality of the RG-6.

Using DishPro Plus technology (bandstacking), you can run a single cable from the DPP-44 switch to a dual tuner receiver, which will then feed into a DPP Separator, and then into each tuner input of the receiver.

However, the RG-6 cable must be capable of operating from 950 - 2150 MHz instead of 950 - 1450 MHz as required on original (legacy) systems. This will allow you to have a maximum run of 200 ft.

Although that is one of the requirement to use DishPro Plus technology, it appears that many have had satisfactory results with regular RG-6. However, I think since you can control it, you should use RG-6 rated for at least 2150 MHz (2150, 2300, or 3000 MHz). It is normally printed on the cable next to the RG-6 stamp. Quad shield is better than regular.

And as previously said, where you have the 1 cable going to the other rooms, I would have at least 2, you never know when you might desire to have both E* and D* in the same room, or maybe a direct cable feed, or maybe a DVD feed, etc...

Lagniappe:
......Original systems uses 950 - 1450 MHz for both Odd and Even transponders.
......DP Plus systems uses 950 - 1450 MHz for Odd and 1650 = 2150 MHz for Even transponders.
......Odd = Right Hand Circular Polarity
......Even = Left Hand Circular Polarity

Last edited:
Note that your CAT-6 cable is for phone and Ethernet, NOT satellite feed. Make sure you've got oe at EVERY location that you have RG-6 - just because.

Five RG-6 from outside to "central" is good. Two RG-6 to each receiver location.

Finally, any new RG-6 you can buy now will be tested to 2150MHz or higher.

personally, if they did active the ethernet port on the receiver, and I did not have cat5 run, i wouldn't tear down sheetrock...
i'd just go with wireless networking.... done

osu1991 seems to have the set up i want. currently i have 2 rg6 lines running from basement distrution panel to every room. i have a 622 with tv1 hooked up to a plasma and tv2 backfed thru one coax line to each room. i have a 721 in another room and backfed thru the other coax lines to all all rooms.

i have two issues. i only have two viewers in the house so i guess the 721 is now redundant since i replace an 811 with the 622. second i d like to get hi def to two other rooms.

i can switch out the 721 for a 211-but that only puts hd in one other room and i pay 5 dollars a month for an extra receiver that i don t need for two viewers.i suppose i can run 3 more rg6 lines to the two rooms that i want to feed hi def from tv1 of the 622 but thats a lot of work as my walls and ceilings are all sheetrocked in. running a single cat5 line to these two rooms would be a little easier but i still have to do a lot of fishing.

is there an easier way? by the way will the activation of ethernet port on the 622 do anything for this issue ie will it allow for wireles distribution of hi def ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)