Price difference between a two Hopper config and a Hopper-Joey config?

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
Is there a large price difference between using a two Hoppers configuration and using a Hopper-Joey configuration? This assumes that the roof dish antenna can have more than one Hopper? Is that true?

The reason I ask is that the two TVs in our house are 90 feet apart, on each end of the house. I'm hoping that the wireless Joey will work for that distance. But if not, the coax cables for our current MPEG2 config are already laid for our two soon-to-be-obsolete receivers and could easily be used for two Hoppers.

The Hopper 2000 (original Hopper - H1) is quite slow by comparison, is capable of recording three satellite signals at one time and It does not have DishAnywhere capabilities nor (I believe) does it stream many if any apps like Netflix, etc. It does have Prime Time Anytime (PTAT) (capable of recording programs from all four major networks on one tuner thus allowing you to record 6 satellite channels on 2+1 tuners) and an OTA adapter can be added to be able to record two more OTA channels. Additional TV's can share programming via adding Joeys to the system. The Hopper 2000 has a monthly $15 DVR fee, and the Joeys have a $7 monthly lease fee. Stay away from Joeys except the Joey3's and 4's. A Super Joey can be added to this to add 2 more tuners if absolutely needed and I'm not sure of the monthly fee for the Super Joey, probably $7 or $10.

The Hopper With Sling (H2) improves on the Hopper 2000 system being faster OS for quicker total response and it has Sling capability built in so you can remotely watch programming and recordings from the H2 with a smart Phone, computer or web appliance like a FireTVStick. It also has streaming capabilities to some extent. It too can work with the Super Joey, Hopper and Joey fees are the same as for the H1.

The Hopper3 is a BIG leap in capability and performance, it has 16 tuners (never worry about recording conflicts), PTAT, Sling, streaming capability in and out, It is quite fast changing channels and menu response. Again the monthly fees are about if not exactly the same here.

As for Joeys, the Joey 1 is a dog, the Joey 2 is a faster dog and the Joey 3 is a good performer. The Super Joey adds 2 tuners to either an H1 or an H2 but not the H3. The Joey4K is a 4K Joey it is fast but since Dish went to 4KHDR it is useless for 4K except in streaming circumstances. The new Joey 4 IS 4KHDR capable but it only comes with the add-on Hopper+ that plugs into the Hopper 2 or Hopper3 and runs on the Android OS bringing more streaming apps to the system. The Hopper + software is frankly Beta right now but improving.

The wireless Joey can be hit or miss and if a wired connection is at all possible, go that way. There are wireless Joey 3's and Wireless Joey 4's (4KHDR capable).

I'd guess I've left something out, like the Hopper Duo which is just a ViP722 with the graphical menu system, no sling.