Price increase while in one year contract?

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
I signed up for DISH back in September under a lease including a 522 and Top120 with locals. My contract states that I have to maintain service for a period of at least 12 months. I rec'd the letter regarding the rate increase. My question is whether they can do this while I am under a 12 month contract? If so, what could stop them from increasing the monthly rate to $100, $200 or whatever they felt like?

Thanks

cpa4u said:
I signed up for DISH back in September under a lease including a 522 and Top120 with locals. My contract states that I have to maintain service for a period of at least 12 months. I rec'd the letter regarding the rate increase. My question is whether they can do this while I am under a 12 month contract? If so, what could stop them from increasing the monthly rate to $100, $200 or whatever they felt like?

Thanks

If you'll read in the fine print, it will say something to the effect of "Prices subject to change without notice." By the signing the contract, you agree to that clause (which, as you said, could mean an outrageous increase). Their argument would be: "If you didn't like that clause, you shouldn't have signed the contract" (OR) "If you didn't read the fine print, that's your fault." So, yes, they can do that.

They told dealers that those under a contract will not see the price increase until the contract is over. Check your february bill and it should be the same price (mine is)

The DHA agreement has no price protection on the subscription price so, yeah, your obligated to eat the $2 or $3 increase...for now.

And, yes, next month it's going up $100 or $200 depending on the package.

DISH Network knows we will all keep paying whatever they want because there's no competition and they have got us all addicted to TV.

They don't care about attracting new customers any more because with their current subscriber base paying whatever they want to charge they are home free from now on.

Bastards!!!!

Dudes, again. This is a normal price increasing so kwitchurbitchin ;)

E* is going up, D* is going up. Call your cable company and ask for new rates and they'll be going up. Everyone is going up. If you don't like watching subcription TV cancel it and just put up an antenna, but like it or not the prices are going up...

BFG said:
They told dealers that those under a contract will not see the price increase until the contract is over. Check your february bill and it should be the same price (mine is)
No, the old DHP subscribers had the subscription price protection for their 12-month commitment. DHA subscribers do not. cpa4u is obviously DHA because he got his system in Sept. with a DVR522.

But you are right about minor price increases due to increases from the program providers. It's no different than other utility price increases. Most working and professional people receive annual or biannual raises in salary or wages to keep up with this kind of inflation. Self-employed people generally learn how to increase their earnings to keep up.

Those that don't learn to cut back on luxuries to compensate. They might reduce their venti to a grande at Starbucks® a few days a month. If they are educated people in a petite bourgeoise profession such as me they might buy an expresso machine for $29 at Target® instead of going to Starbucks®.

Of course cpu4ua might be the guy who stocked the shelf at Target® with expresso machines, in which case I'd bet he wishes he finished junior college. He might be very extended financially. But even he could compensate by going to the water cooler in the break room in a few days a month instead of feeding his quarters into the Coke® machine.

That would be until the big $100-$200 price increase hits, of course. By then that sucker will be stuck working a 2nd job just to pay for the TV he watches on the few hours he has off!

Thanks for all the input. I assumed that the increase to my monthly fee would happen, but just wanted to check on here. Now if only I could get my clients to sign a year's contract with a clause saying that I can raise their fees to whatever I feel like at any time and they are obligated to stay for the term of the contract........... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts