Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

My magic 8 ball sees a lot of churn in Dish's future.

Between this and canceling HD Free for Life for new customers they are giving up a lot of the value they once offered. New customers will have a $10 increase for HD after their first two years going forward in addition to their new customer promos wearing off at the same time. They are almost forcing people to switch when their contract runs out by hitting them with that much of an increase at once. HD is not a premium feature anymore. It's been around for years and they should just start treating it like the standard. 4k is around the corner and Dish decides to start charging $10 for HD again. They are going backwards.

A contract roll off will not cause $10 HD fee,HD Free for Life is not removed in a customer account with autopay and paperless bill

Unless I have lost my mind there was a thread not to long ago saying that Dish was no longer offering HD free for life for new customers. From my understanding, new customers would get free HD for the first 2 years and after that it would be $10. Existing customers get to keep their HD free for life.

Between this and canceling HD Free for Life for new customers they are giving up a lot of the value they once offered. New customers will have a $10 increase for HD after their first two years going forward in addition to their new customer promos wearing off at the same time. They are almost forcing people to switch when their contract runs out by hitting them with that much of an increase at once. HD is not a premium feature anymore. It's been around for years and they should just start treating it like the standard. 4k is around the corner and Dish decides to start charging $10 for HD again. They are going backwards.

I have to think that Dish has something major up their sleeves right now for their future plans. I just can't imagine that Dish thinks this is a great move. From my experience, whenever I've seen Dish do something that I think is incredibly stupid they usually follow it up with some kind of awesome product or promotion. It's almost like they are using one promotion period to bolster their income so they can cover the expenses of their project. I hope this is the case again.

That sums it up very well.I have been a longtime Dish supporter over the last 10-15 years,they are making it very difficult to continue to be.Don't get me wrong for the most part they have been very good to me as a customer but,when they continually raise rates take away things like free hd for life,still don't have ST or MLB EI,it makes DTV look pretty appealing.I just don't see how you can charge premium prices when you don't have the premium content.Dish has always tried to sell the low price leader in the past,that isn't the case now.

On to the Hopper,besides some of the cool features,where is the incentive to upgrade?The pricing makes the Hopper worthless to my family.We'll stick with the (old) Vip receivers.

I'm sorry Charlie but,my confidence in you is definitely waning.

.I just don't see how you can charge premium prices when you don't have the premium content.Dish has always tried to sell the low price leader in the past,that isn't the case now.

And yet the commercials will continue to portray DirecTV as the evil ogre, socking people with massive rate increases year after year.

Yeah... :rolleyes:

One time payment of $99 for HD free for life was removed as offer to get hd free
Now only HDFFL with autopay and paperless bill is available for existing customers with upgrade equipment contract or new customers with DHA Elite,plus plan, flex tv or flex tv24 new accounts not qualify for this offer at the begining

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/326049-Retailer-Chat-Recap-12-12-13?p=3326083#post3326083

Not according to the retailer recap thread. Scherman and Scott both posted that it was gone for new customers.

Unless I have lost my mind there was a thread not to long ago saying that Dish was no longer offering HD free for life for new customers. From my understanding, new customers would get free HD for the first 2 years and after that it would be $10. Existing customers get to keep their HD free for life.

You're not crazy. Starting with Dish's new promotion new customers will get HD Free for the first two years and then have to pay $10 a month for it.

Does downgrading your equipment add a two year contract like upgrading does?

That's a tricky question.In some cases it could,I would say it depends on how your account is rated.In other cases you may have to purchase the equipment to avoid extending the contract.

That sums it up very well.I have been a longtime Dish supporter over the last 10-15 years,they are making it very difficult to continue to be.Don't get me wrong for the most part they have been very good to me as a customer but,when they continually raise rates take away things like free hd for life,still don't have ST or MLB EI,it makes DTV look pretty appealing.I just don't see how you can charge premium prices when you don't have the premium content.Dish has always tried to sell the low price leader in the past,that isn't the case now.

On to the Hopper,besides some of the cool features,where is the incentive to upgrade?The pricing makes the Hopper worthless to my family.We'll stick with the (old) Vip receivers.

I'm sorry Charlie but,my confidence in you is definitely waning.

The only benefits I see to DirecTV are new customer promotions and Sunday Ticket. After that all I see is a similar product that costs just as much or more.

Until they decide to end THAT grandfathering, too. If they can. Interesting that some paid $99 for that, others paperless etc, so it wasn't something for nothing, there was an exchange of value.

Does downgrading your equipment add a two year contract like upgrading does?

Well there is no promotion for downgrading equipment. You are allowed to take extra receivers off your account but to downgrade from something like the Hopper to a 722, you would would have to pay some kind of fee for that.

I have to think that Dish has something major up their sleeves right now for their future plans. I just can't imagine that Dish thinks this is a great move. From my experience, whenever I've seen Dish do something that I think is incredibly stupid they usually follow it up with some kind of awesome product or promotion. It's almost like they are using one promotion period to bolster their income so they can cover the expenses of their project. I hope this is the case again.

Quite possibly. But wouldn't it soften the blow to make the announcements together?

Until they decide to end THAT grandfathering, too. If they can. Interesting that some paid $99 for that, others paperless etc, so it wasn't something for nothing, there was an exchange of value.

I'm a paperless billing and auto pay customer anyway so I didn't give them anything more for HD. To me it was free.

The only benefits I see to DirecTV are new customer promotions and Sunday Ticket. After that all I see is a similar product that costs just as much or more.

You forget MLB EI,DTV offers it Dish doesn't.And,at least for the moment DTV has all the Disney ESPN channels in HD.I suppose you could counter with Dish has Pac 12,DTV doesn't,but still.With a $5 increase,an anticipated $2-$3 DTV increase,the pricing is going to be very close,if not a wash.

You forget MLB EI,DTV offers it Dish doesn't.And,at least for the moment DTV has all the Disney ESPN channels in HD.I suppose you could counter with Dish has Pac 12,DTV doesn't,but still.With a $5 increase,an anticipated $2-$3 DTV increase,the pricing is going to be very close,if not a wash.

That's true but those aren't things that I care about. I've been able to watch all the sports I want on Dish. I just don't the grass being greener on the DirecTV side. I have been using and selling Dish for years. I know a lot of their equipment and programming by heart. I would hate to give up my Hopper system and learn something all over again. I know I could do it but it's not worth it to me.... YET.

When you factor in that many Hopper customers will see a $12 increase I doubt Dish will have any price advantage. Of course Directv could announce an outrageous increase that changes that. Either way Directv and Cable's new customer pricing will probably look pretty great to people staring a $12 increase without new customer pricing in the eye.

When you factor in that many Hopper customers will see a $12 increase I doubt Dish will have any price advantage. Of course Directv could announce an outrageous increase that changes that. Either way Directv and Cable's new customer pricing will probably look pretty great to people staring a $12 increase without new customer pricing in the eye.

I'll bet you one way or another, their new billing rates will be quite similar in increase to Dish's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)