Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

I'll bet you one way or another, their new billing rates will be quite similar in increase to Dish's.

I can see the $5 programming increase or even a little more but do you think there will be a $7 increase for genie customers too?

I'm pretty shocked with Dish's $12 increase. I would be pretty amazed if both companies think they can get away with that kind of jump.

I can see the $5 programming increase or even a little more but do you think there will be a $7 increase for genie customers too?

I'm pretty shocked with Dish's $12 increase. I would be pretty amazed if both companies think they can get away with that kind of jump.

Iceberg can say for sure, but isn't Direct TV's whole home cost higher than DISH now? Doesn't change that DISH should not be changing the fees for those Grandfathered to now.

Iceberg can say for sure, but isn't Direct TV's whole home cost higher than DISH now? Doesn't change that DISH should not be changing the fees for those Grandfathered to now.

I don't know about standard prices but I can say that I bought my first house in April and was able to get new customer pricing from either service. If I remember correctly 1 Hopper and 1 Joey with AT200 was actually $2 or $3 more than 1 genie and 1 client with a comparable package. In the end I went with Dish because I preferred the HWS equipment but there was no real difference in pricing between the two companies at least in your first 2 years.

Not much life left in them, I'll wager, as Fish drops MPEG-2.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just got a letter today from my local cableco, Service Electric, and they are going to offer a 6 tuner whole home package in 2014, but no info yet on the hardware. The missus and I love our Hoppers and the $5/18 discount will reduce our increase to $7 for the near future so we're planning on riding it out for now, but I will be keeping an eye on the SECTV setup just in case.

I just got a letter today from my local cableco, Service Electric, and they are going to offer a 6 tuner whole home package in 2014, but no info yet on the hardware. The missus and I love our Hoppers and the $5/18 discount will reduce our increase to $7 for the near future so we're planning on riding it out for now, but I will be keeping an eye on the SECTV setup just in case.

I live in Columbus Ohio and we have a lot of choices. WOW cable offers a 6 tuner whole home DVR. It's better than TWC's DVR's but it pales in comparison to HWS. I know a lot of people don't have many choices and that sucks. I'm not one to do the every two year switch for promo pricing but if Dish keeps adding $5 to $12 a year I might just do that. Either that or drop pay TV.

As soon as I got that email I came on here and as usual great info and great conversation. So thanks again guys!

The question will be how different Dish's prices and DIRECTV's prices differ after February. It would be interesting if Dish edges past DIRECTV. But, I speculate Dish has its spies and will be in line with DIRECTV's pricing.

Over the years it has been quite a shift. It used to be Dish was hands down cheaper than cable. In my area (every town has different cable pricing) Dish is now more expensive than cable for package rates. For equipment Dish still wins as TWC charges an absurd amount for their DVRs. With TiVo in the mix though, Dish is more expensive than TWC and TiVo in my market (again every cable market is different). I switched to TWC, with just the smart pack on Dish until I finish watching my DVR (and using up my credit on Dish).

With the new customer bundled discount it was just too good to pass up, but even when incentives are over, the net price of internet and cable over just internet is $30. Dish can just not compete with $30 for the equivalent of AT250. The normal 2 service price is reduced by TWC (in my town again) to the point that even new customer deals on Dish cannot compete.

Just FYI...

The info posted by Angel M "may not" be accurate. Not saying that its not accurate and I am not saying it is accurate.

As I mentioned earlier I have been working all day with the folks from DISH to obtain the new pricing and at last contact things were not finalized as of yet.

I am still working on this. :)

Angel M could be a.k.a CE. You never know, either way someone with some inside info.

While DISH did not confirm or deny the information posted by Angel M, they did send us the following statement.

As the entire pay-TV industry experiences significant increases in programming costs, well above the rate of inflation, DISH will be making moderate price adjustments effective February 1, 2014. Customers will begin receiving bills in mid-January for February service.

DISH is bearing the burden of these programmer rate increases with our customers, holding price increases below those of our primary competitors over the past two years. The average percentage change that DISH customers will see with this increase is lower than the rate at which DISH’s programming costs will grow in 2014.

DISH is proactively communicating with customers about what is happening:

· Customers currently receiving promotional rates will continue to pay the same rates through their promotional period, typically one year.

· Customers paying the everyday package price will see an increase of $3 to $5 per month on core English programming packages. [Customers paying standard rates will see an increase of $3-$6 per month for Spanish language packages.]

· For existing customers, the Hopper DVR and Receiver fees will be $12 each, when applicable. Existing customers with a second Hopper will receive credits for 18 months to offset the Hopper Receiver fee increase.

We will continue to work on behalf of our customers by negotiating hard and seeking congressional help to modify outdated laws.

While DISH did not confirm or deny the information posted by Angel M, they did send us the following statement.

Thanks for the info, kind of thought that second Hopper lower fee would not be forever, 18 months is a nice credit adjustment. As I mentioned earlier, would be great to see the Disney/ABC channels that are not in HD light up

Last edited:
With everything else, I forgot to even comment on the price increase on the premiums. I have several on going promotions at 1/2 off for 6 months or free for 3 months. They are all close to expiring. At current rates, I'm not sure the premiums are worth half their price; and yet they seem to think that they are worth another dollar each. Does anyone else find it insane that HBO is almost at $20?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Ok so let me get this straight, we get a rate increase but no ESPNU in HD, no WatchESPN, no Disney channels and so on in HD... AND those that have hoppers will pay $12 each, what where they before as I'm not sure as I don't have them yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)