Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

lucky86, you are spot on.

I've got the equipment to do all this stuff myself. AppleTV, BluRay player that does internet streaming and a few computers fully capable of doing it too. But yet, when I want to watch TV, I select 'watch Satellite' on my Harmony 1 and I'm good to go! :)
My Harmony has a button that says "Watch Roku!" :)

People just need good computers that have an output that is HDMI. I have a PC that is has dual output that I send one to the A/V receiver via HDMI. Even many laptops have HDMI out.

Those do work great but I don't need a new laptop right now. I am the type of guy that would buy a new one just for that purpose too but most people are not. If I knew my internet would always be fast enough to handle streaming video without any hiccups I would be fine with it. I enjoy it now but I at least know that if it isn't working I still have my antenna and satellite.

I can do all of that with my Macbook Pro but as of right now I love the convenience of Dish. Sit down grab the remote and everything is right there. No navigating to different sites and so on. As long as the price is in our ballpark I'll pay for the convenience. I will steal an Apple saying..... Turn on Dish and it just works!! Not a fan of their iPhone though.

i can do it with my iPad and AppleTV. Start it on the iPad and mirror over to the AppleTV and on the TV it goes. But I don't do that often... :)

I could do it with the MacBook Pro, but i seldom have it on my lap. My Chromebook is the favorite when sitting in the recliner and it won't do it, or at least I don't think it will.

HBO is Commercial-Free and la carte
The format preferred by most posters here.
The pricing is what we will see if we a skip auto and pick only the channels we want.
I could live with three or four channels. In fact, one channel is the reason why I'm still sub'd at all. I'm above my comfort range with the pricing.

HBO is so high now days, half off isn't cheap enough of a deal for me.

Have internet with Comcast and just got the new prices for 2014. I find Dish prices more than reasonable. Presumably, Comcast is offering Internet service with HBO, but that is apparently not happening in my area as yet. It does present some interesting possibilities.

I can't see who is going to pay $19 a month for HBO.

I see a lot of folks who will be sharing HBO Passwords as the price is getting way too high.

I 'll never pay full price for HBO ever again. In fact I haven't paid full price for most of last year and some of this year too: between 3 months for FREE and 6 months 1/2 price TWICE. At most I will pay for one day and watch a marathon of all my True Blood shows in one day and then drop them again. $19.00 a month is ridiculous and I don't see how they can price themselves $5.00 more than the rest of the premium channel packs. Neflix streaming charges $7.99 a month and they have 30 million subs to HBO's 20 million. At this $19.00 price I see even more 1/2 price promos in order to attract any new subs.

Have internet with Comcast and just got the new prices for 2014. I find Dish prices more than reasonable. Presumably, Comcast is offering Internet service with HBO, but that is apparently not happening in my area as yet. It does present some interesting possibilities.

They also throw in lifeline cable too. Its an option here in Minneapolis for $40 (1st 12 months...no contract)

What's included in your Lifeline cable? How many channels.
Here, TWC has a super basic which is the locals and a few other channels and it's around $15/mo.

looking at the Comcast lineup its as follows (SW suburbs of Minneapolis)
34 SD channels (10 nets, 8 subchannels, CNN, TBS, WGN, shopping/religious/PI)
15 HD channels (the 10 Nets, CNN, WGN, TBS, QVC, HSN)
45 of the audio only channels
pricing shows 21.08 (18.58 for programing + 2.50 for a receiver...required as they scrambled everything)

so as you can see if you get internet they are basically throwing in the TV as you get HBO too

That's quiet a bit more than the super basic here. All cable companies are required to have a super basic package that is basically just locals and is in the $15/mo range. The companies don't advertise the fact.

pre digital it was just 2-23 which is basically the locals, public access and the 3 basic cable channels. CNN has been on 3 and TBS have been on 7 for probably 20 years. WGN is on 22.
With digital (and having subchannels here) it does expand a little bit. The music one is new to me as you didnt need a box until recently (lifeline was in QAM until a month ago...sans the music only channels)

Comcast advertises it here (lifeline) and now with the new "Internet Plus" program (Internet + lifeline + HBO) its really advertised on the site

Those things may work for those people who love technology and know how to use it etc. But for people like my grand parents or even my parents for example, no chance they would be able to figure out how to stream using an Apple TV or Chrome Cast. They want to come home and grab the clicker and push ON and bam, they have TV. Not to mention the fact that the Apple TV is what, $99? It may pay off in the long run, but I'm not sure that many people are excited about shelling out $100.

I guess we'll see what the future holds and to each their own.
My first hand experience is different.

My 74 year old mom just cut the cord. It was her request. She knew that I had done it, like the alternative so we went ahead.

I installed a HBU 33 antenna & Tivo Roameo DVR. This bought in 32 digital channels, covering all the broadcast networks, a dozen or so speciality channels, and some local weather/info channels. All of the HD channels are unmatched in PQ. She was already had a Roku and was watching Netflix & Amazon. Best of all, we took her DVR back to TWC and the bill dropped by $105/month. It was a ridiculous amount of money. In return she is paying $14.99 for the Tivo and $7.99 for Netflix. Shows on Amazon are al-la cart.

They couldn't be happier with their new setup. There is more to watch and all her friends want to do the same now. I could start a side business installing antennas if I liked but fortunately I don't have a need to climb on people's roofs for work.

The thing about the elderly. They don't like 99% of the crap that is on pay TV now, they don't trust the cable news as it's all opinion given as news, and many don't really care about the expensive sports saturation. So they are a perfect demographic to cut the cord especially since many are on fixed incomes and can't take these ever increasing fees.

---------------

In my case I dropped Dish when my bill hit $115/month. When I started with them in 1999 it was only $29.99. That is a substantial increase all while the quality of the programming has declined greatly. Don't be afraid to make a change. The ~$2500 I've not sent to Dish in the last 21 months buys a hell of a lot of entertainment.

I 'll never pay full price for HBO ever again. In fact I haven't paid full price for most of last year and some of this year too: between 3 months for FREE and 6 months 1/2 price TWICE. At most I will pay for one day and watch a marathon of all my True Blood shows in one day and then drop them again. $19.00 a month is ridiculous and I don't see how they can price themselves $5.00 more than the rest of the premium channel packs. Neflix streaming charges $7.99 a month and they have 30 million subs to HBO's 20 million. At this $19.00 price I see even more 1/2 price promos in order to attract any new subs.
HBO , in my opinion, is unfortunately not the attractive premium service it was for many years. $19.00 is unreal; I was shocked when $18.00 appeared.

I think the fact that "Showtime Anytime" is still not offered as a part of the Showtime subscription for a Dish customer. My inquiries to CS about this have been numerous. When I go to that page and the dropdown menu of participating carriers do not include Dish, I don't know what to think. I know about the CBS excuse but I am assuming that the only means to have this as part of your Showtime pkg is leave Dish and become a customer of another provider which is very inconvenient.

If you drop it using the My Programming page at My Dish, it will offer BB@H for $5/mo (50% off) for six months.
Help me with the meaning of your post if you do not mind; are you referring to a customer who is currently paying the full price of $10 for this package and unchecks the box which would discontinue the subscription to BB@H - or, are you saying that if I currently have the $5 mo. discount for BB@H which would be located within the My Offers selection of the customer's programming and decide not to renew the $5 price under My Offers? Thanks in advance if you would clarify this for me.

I know that Dish has incurred increases in its operation of doing business just like most other businesses in this modern age. However, things have apparently drastically changed; case in point - I became a customer around 1999. At that point in time and for many subsequent years, the most expensive package offered by Dish (not the Everything package - not sure that existed) which would be at this stage, the AT250 seemed very affordable to me along with the Superstation package, Dish Protection Plan, Monthly Programming Magazine subscription and maybe one or two premium channels. I don't think I gave it a second thought about affordability back then and it remained that way for what seemed to be a good many years. Now, I think I would like to have that same lineup of service and etc from Dish but I don't think my budget will allow me to come even close - I have the AT200 but constantly have concerns about continuing with it simply as a matter of economics. I may have to discipline my spending with the AT120 permanently. So I guess I miss those days and I truly don't know if it has been necessary for pricing to increase to the level now in existence but it feels excessive as an old customer.

Help me with the meaning of your post if you do not mind; are you referring to a customer who is currently paying the full price of $10 for this package and unchecks the box which would discontinue the subscription to BB@H - or, are you saying that if I currently have the $5 mo. discount for BB@H which would be located within the My Offers selection of the customer's programming and decide not to renew the $5 price under My Offers? Thanks in advance if you would clarify this for me.

I took it as to mean that if I currently have BB@H (which I do, and he was addressing me. Also, YES I do pay $10 a month for it), I'd log into my Dish account and uncheck the BB@H, and it would automatically pop up a choice for the $5 discount.

I'm going to try this, BUT, I'm going to wait until my bill gets jacked-up $5 for the yearly customer mugging. If it works, I want to at least think they'd realize I might be dropping it because they raised my bill higher than I'm willing to pay. If it doesn't offer it, I'll just drop it completely and save the whole $10. I own my system completely, I installed it, and I maintain it. I only have a single owned receiver, and I still pay $7 a month for dvr service. A Dish person has never set foot on my property, and they still feel the need to stick a gun in my side cost-wise. If it wasn't for my wife being technologically challenged, I'd drop down to the "Welcome pack" or dump it completely. I have a smart tv, a WDTV Live, and an FTA system, and I can get nearly everything I want by alternates that would cost me 1/5th the cost of what my Dish is going up to in price.

I'll also NEVER forgive Charlie for killing VOOM, and especially the MonstersHD channel, which was the biggest reason I subbed in the first place. Before anybody picks out this single comment about Voom from this and starts picking on me, don't bother even trying. Charlie killed Voom single-handedly, and he's the only person to blame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts