primefocus

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"There are 2 main design disadvantages on Prime focus antennas....... the feedhorn and feed support structure block part of the reflector surface and the feedhorn must look back at the dish at such an angle that it can also intercept noise from the "hot" earth located directly behind the reflector. The feedhorn's illumination of the antenna must be attenuated or tapered to minimize noise contribution from the perimeter of the dish. This design necessity acts to reduce the antenna's efficiency.
Prime focus antennas use two different types of feedhorn support bracket. A three or four-legged support provides a rigid support structure for the feedhorn and LNB over the center of the dish and at the distance specified by the manufacturer. The main disadvantage of this structural approach is that it may be difficult to make minor variations in the focal length, that is the distance from reflector center to the lip of the feed opening. The buttonhook structural design uses a single support member to position the LNB and feedhorn. This tubular leg can usually be slid in and out of a clamp or bracket at the center of the dish, allowing the installer to fine-tune the focal length. However, the buttonhook support may not always position the feed at the precise center of the dish, especially when the feedhorn is weighted down by multiple LNBs.
Motorized dishes may experience feedhorn movement when the antenna is moved from one satellite to the next...... strong winds can also temporarily move the feedhorn away from the antenna's focus. Guy wire kits are available which the installer can use to provide additional structural rigidity to the "buttonhook" support if required at the installation."

I had a 1.2m aluminium prime focus dish that worked great, I like them!

PSB brings up a good point about the arm on a offset dish. They can move around more. They do make offset dishs that have the main arm and then have two smaller pieces of metal that go to the sides of the dish to help stabilize the LNBF. I believe this is on the higher end dishs. You can add your own if are good with working with metal.

PSB said:
"There are 2 main design disadvantages on Prime focus antennas....... the feedhorn and feed support structure block part of the reflector surface and the feedhorn must look back at the dish at such an angle that it can also intercept noise from the "hot" earth located directly behind the reflector. The feedhorn's illumination of the antenna must be attenuated or tapered to minimize noise contribution from the perimeter of the dish. This design necessity acts to reduce the antenna's efficiency.
Prime focus antennas use two different types of feedhorn support bracket. A three or four-legged support provides a rigid support structure for the feedhorn and LNB over the center of the dish and at the distance specified by the manufacturer. The main disadvantage of this structural approach is that it may be difficult to make minor variations in the focal length, that is the distance from reflector center to the lip of the feed opening. The buttonhook structural design uses a single support member to position the LNB and feedhorn. This tubular leg can usually be slid in and out of a clamp or bracket at the center of the dish, allowing the installer to fine-tune the focal length. However, the buttonhook support may not always position the feed at the precise center of the dish, especially when the feedhorn is weighted down by multiple LNBs.
Motorized dishes may experience feedhorn movement when the antenna is moved from one satellite to the next...... strong winds can also temporarily move the feedhorn away from the antenna's focus. Guy wire kits are available which the installer can use to provide additional structural rigidity to the "buttonhook" support if required at the installation."

I had a 1.2m aluminium prime focus dish that worked great, I like them!

Ok, Pete.. I assume that was a quote from someone else.. But you say you like them. I will take that as "this must be a good dish." :) So a motor should be no problem?

I do not think a SG2100 will work, on the second version shown on your link it looks like you will need a HH120 or any motor where the mounting tube sticks up.
I would ask the dealer at time of purchase I am sure someone will have tried it before, it looks a nice dish very similar to the one I had in the UK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts