Problem Connecting Internet to New Hopper Install

Itzli

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Oklahoma
Last Friday the hardrive went out on my 722k, so I decided to upgrade to a Hopper/Joey system. The tech asked me about connecting it to the internet, so I ran an ethernet line from my router to the Hopper in the living room. I assumed everything was fine, but after the tech left, I realized that the Hopper is unable to connect to the internet. I would guess a possible problem would be that the WEP code for the router needs to be entered on the Hopper, but I haven't had any luck finding where to enter that information. Or maybe I'm completely off base on the problem one would have connecting with ethernet. Also, I previously had a 722k for living room and master bedroom, and a 222k for the other two bedrooms. It was my understanding that I would receive a Hopper and 3 Joeys, however, the tech installed a Hopper in the living room, paired with a Joey in the master bedroom and another Hopper in one bedroom with a Joey paired to it. I asked him about getting the two Hoppers to communicate (mostly so my daughters can occasionally access their recordings in the living room) but he was unaware of the ability. What is needed in order to let the hoppers "see" each other? Any help would be appreciated. I'm normally pretty good with tech, but I think I tried rushing a bit too much trying to get back to work. As is I'm going to have to fix the bedroom Joey that can't access live tv (I believe I somehow unpaired it from the Hopper the tech connected it to and only halfway connected it to the living room in my attempt to fix the internet issue).

On a normal network, running ethernet from the router to your hopper should work to get internet to that hopper. What does it show when you press "Yellow - 8 - 1" on the remote?

on the DVR recording list there should be a drop down near the top where you can flip back and forth between either hoppers.

Home Network Connection Status: Broadband Not Connected
Location Name: Hopper, Living Room 1
Connection Type: N/A
DHCP Acquired: OK
Server Connection: Failed
Internet Connection: Failed
IP Address: 192.168.1.71
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254
MAC Address: 00:0D:C5:0D:BD:24
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
TX Packets: 3956
RX Packets: 14259

You shouldn't have to enter an encryption key with a direct ethernet connection. It seems like the hopper is seing your lan but not getting internet access. Try resetting your modem and/or router.

Both hoppers need to be connected to your network in order for them to see each other. The HIC is the preferred way but you could put a wifi adapter on the 2nd hopper as well.

Both hoppers need to be connected to your network in order for them to see each other. The HIC is the preferred way but you could put a wifi adapter on the 2nd hopper as well.

Or just use Hopper bridging.

OP, if it's asking for an encryption key, then you must have a WiFi adapter connected?

Hoppers see each other and their recordings over the coax (MoCA), a network connection is not needed. For the other Hopper and Joeys to access the network from the Hopper with the Ethernet connection, turn on bridging on that Hopper to add the home network to the MoCA network. Go to network setup, select MoCA with red button, press blue button twice and enable bridging.

I would figure out why the router is not giving internet access to the Hopper before enabling bridging, could just be a poor connection. Joeys only use the network for DLNA if coax is connected.

Last edited:
Hoppers see each other and their recordings over the coax (MoCA), a network connection is not needed. For the other Hopper and Joeys to access the network from the Hopper with the Ethernet connection, turn on bridging on that Hopper to add the home network to the MoCA network. Go to network setup, select MoCA with red button, press blue button twice and enable bridging.

I would figure out why the router is not giving internet access to the Hopper before enabling bridging, could just be a poor connection. Joeys only use the network for DLNA if coax is connected.

What is bridging? What is it supposed to do? "John"

What is bridging? What is it supposed to do? "John"

Bridging puts your home network on the coax cables that connects to Hoppers and Joeys so they can be home network/Internet connected. The Hoppers can bridge or you can use a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) to do it.

Last edited:
Issue Resolved

As suggested, last night I tried resetting my router, but nothing changed. I logged into the router from my computer to see if I noticed anything suspicious. The router showed the Hopper (nice touch that it identifies itself by name) and nothing odd jumped out at me. So I gave up for the night, woke up, checked and now the Hopper is connected to broadband. Not sure how it happened, but I'm not complaining.

With regards to the Hoppers being able to "see" each other, that was quickly resolved once I slowed down and realized that the tech named the Hoppers and Joeys in a different way than I would have, thus it wasn't obvious in the DVR menu.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts