Problems aiming Dish 1000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

larsh74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 14, 2006
I am having trouble receiving signals on a Dish 1000 and am wondering if anyone can help. The system has two receivers, a 622 and a 625. I am using a DPP Twin LNB with seperators on each reciever. When I run the switch test it says I am receiving sat 110 on input 1, nothing on input 2 and sat 119 on input 3. This does not seem right and obviously missing sat 129 is not normal. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your elevation is set too high and your azimuth a bit too far south. If it was me, I would try notching the EL settings down about 4 degrees and sloooowwwwly swing your AZ to the west.

What are you using to peak the dish in with?

I am using an outdated Channel Master sat finder. I suspect that the problem is indeed that I have aimed the dish in the wrong location. Just to rule out this possibility, I am not using a switch. Could this be the problem?

I never EVER use a switch when aiming. And my meter doesn't work too well with the DP+ lnbs. I usually use a DP Dual on the 119 side of the dish to aim things. With a D1000, I'll then peak on the 129. Not quite kosher according to DNS. But seeing as how the 129 is a pretty weak and lame bird, it just seems best to max out that satellite.

Matter of fact, here's link at flea-bay of the type of meter I use. Totally perfect for a D1000 aiming since it does 2 birds at the same time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACUTRAC-22-PRO-...ryZ32843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
I had not intended on ever using a switch for this install. I was under the impression that a switch was not required when using a DPP LNB with dual tuner recievers and serperators. Have you done installations the way I am describing here? I am getting mixed opinions from Dish Network Tech. Support concerning the use of a switch for this type of install. Some say it is required and others say it is not.

I have also had trouble with my meter using DPP LNBs. I like the idea of using a DP LNB to aim the dish. Could this also be done using a DP single on the 119 side? I have looked at that meter you are using several times and been tempted to buy it. Thnx for the advice and the link.

Yep! Any non DPP lnb should work fine. I just use a DP since it's the pretty much the newest thing in my "gift" stock (ya know...lnb's left over from a previous install when I show up to a new install)

Thanks for all the help. I will not be able to return to the customer's home until Saturday. The suspense is going to drive me nuts!!! :eek:

Meters wont read the signal strength correctly on DPP lnbs so use a regular dp dual or legacy dual if you can. The dual normaly should go into the 129 slot, for the purpose of tuning you will want to tune off the 119 port with the dual to peak, then put the dual into the 129 to see how your signal is and make minor adjustments to bring it up minimizing signal loss on the 119 ( the 110 is garaunteed as long as you have a clear line of site ). Basicly the settings arent going to be much diferent from a dish 500 ( atleast where Im at, D500 elev 32 and skew 119, D1000 elev 31 and skew 121 ) .

two meters

Yea, tuning with two meters is the best way to peak both LNBs.
I got the idea several years ago and built my own (for personal use).

I use two regular meters and an SW21 as a power splitter to feed both meters and LNBs.
The common output goes to the receiver.
Pull the smart card from the receiver so it doesn't 'hunt'.
Doesn't matter that the LNBs are DP.

In a test one time, I was trying to aim at two birds with lots of skew.
They didn't peak at the same place in the sky according to my meters.
Dialed in/out a little skew, and got 'em both to peak together.
Don't know if I had a bad skew calculation, reading, or non-plumb pole, but my meters found it instantly.
. :)

Last edited:
Heres whats bothering me you said that its showing up 110/x/119 thats not right sounds like a bad DPPT even if your dish is not aimed right there will either be a x or 129 in the 3rd slot just because the jumper running from the DPDual is going to the input on the DPPT that automaticly puts it in the 3rd slot. Swap out the LNBF also what zip is this in??

Actually I have had the exact same thing, as described as the OP stated. Total headspace on my part :D . It seems to happen with a D1000 only. In the case of a D500 I doubt the circumstances would be the same.

I was able to get out to the customers home today. I used a DP Twin to aim the dish and lowered my elevation to 34 degrees. All three signals came right in. It took less than 5 minutes to complete the process after spending a good hour trying to do it the other day. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Larsh74,

I having exactly same problem, and so far I have not make any progress.
Are you replace DPP with DP twin and aiming to 119 sat?
What is elevation before and after?

i keep hearing people saying that the Channel Master meter doesnt work with the DPP twin and I totally disagree... I use a dual Channel Master everyday and it works just fine... you just need to connect it to the receiver so it is getting enough power. Problem solved... at least in my experience

When I put up my own 1000 last fall, I just used one of those cheap satellite finders you can find on eBay for a few bucks. With the 129 LNB disconnected, I simply used the supplied 110/119 DPP twin to peak on 119, and I still have receiver signal readings in the 80s on 129, 95-100 on 110, and 105-115 on 119.

its just a power issue, if you get the DPP Twin the power it needs, no problem...
i don't even try it off the meter itself anymore anyway just cause it drains my meter down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)