Problems Recording from 921

DougClarke

Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Vashon, WA
I have been trying to transfer an HBO program (not HDTV) from my PVR to either a VCR or a DVD Burner. The VCR only has RCA-plug inputs, and when I output the 921 via the RCA plugs the picture is washed out--as if looking at it through a thick fog. (To double check, I then connected the 921 directly to the TV using RCA plugs and had the same problem.) Then I tried connecting to my Sony DVD burner using an S-video cable, and I could only get a black and white picture! I hook up my 921 to my TV with component video cables and have no problem. Sadly, neither my VCR or DVD burner will accept these cables.

Dish Network tech support was not able to help me. The best they could come up with was to offer me a replacement PVR. However, I have many programs recorded on the 921 that I would not wish to lose, so that is not a very atractive option.

Any ideas?

I have had the Black and White "washed out" S/D bug on my 921 since jump.

Once it cured itself during an overnight reboot. It has happened twice in the last week and a "power cord" (turn unit off, pull plug, count to ten, get severe leg and/or back cramp from reaching behind stationary 500 pound A/V rack, replug unit, take Aspirin, Curse Charley Ergen) reboot fixed it.

Several people have reported this "bug." Some had offers to swap the unit from Dish. I refuse to start the "RA Shuffle" with this box. It's a "bug" and they need to fix it. In one particular instance, my R/F going to two TV's was color and the third Black and White (no it wasn't the wiring). It's the S/D output out of the box, it's the S/D signal generated by this "thing."

I spent two full days this weekend correcting the "Professional Installation" done by Dish Installers. I patched seven holes in my house, reran every single cable, grounded the system, and didn't so much as touch the 921, and guess what? Black and White S/D on Reboot. Never knew watching TV could be this much fun.

I have noticed that the component and S-Video (and presumably other "SD") outputs have different color balances. Specifically it seems like the component outputs are over-driven compared to my other sources. The S-video output matches pretty closely what the built in cable TV tuner in my TV was producing. The component output is much brighter and more saturated (note, this is not a good thing, even though it might sound like it). My solution is to just recalibrate the component input on my TV to match, but I suppose Dish could fix that with software if they so chose.

I wouldn't expect tech support to know anything about such issues. Without knowing the internal design of the 921, as well as parts of the software, you can only guess at what's actually going on. I also doubt that a new 921 would change that issue.

As for the "black&white only" problem, that sounds like there might be a lose connection in the s-video cable or connector. S-Video cables carry 2 signals, the Y and the C (which is a combination of the Cb and Cr found in component). The Y signal is the luminance, or black/white signal, and the C is (you guessed it) the color information. If there was some problem with the C signal then you'd end up with exactly what you described. This *might* be defective hardware (connector, especially), so a replacement *might* fix it.
On the other hand, since other people have reported the problem appearing with the L211 software, or go away with a reboot, I'd have to also suspect software. If some piece of software is mis-programing a video chip such that the C signal is "lost" to the great bit-bucket in the sky, then you would also get that effect. It's a somewhat sad statement that it's even possible to have such a bug, as properly designed software would (as a side effect) ensure that either all the signal gets there, or none of it does (in case of a logic or hardware error). Partial failures tend to indicate that there are more failure points than there should be. (It can also indicate that the software realized a specific error had occurred, and tried to give as good of result as possible, but I somehow doubt that's the case).

-- Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)