Problems Setting Up Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

84mustang

Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Texas
Hello, I have a satelite setup in a workshop. It has been working great for a couple of years and for an unknown reason it stopped working. I have replaced the receiver, then thinking the LNB mah have been hit by lightening I replaced it...

I now have it setup with a new receiver (different model than before) a new LNB and I have added a power inserter. I am not sure if I needed the power inserter but once i added it, half of the channels started working.

Here is the current equipment I am using:
Receiver Model: D12-700
Slimline Dish Setup using a single cable LNB Phase III Triple LNB 20LNB r1-03
DIRECTV PI21R1-03 Power Inserter

Is this receiver compatable with this dish? Do I need to use the power inserter? Everything I have read indicated I should not need this, but I am able to receive half of my channels.

Thank you for any response.

:welcome to Satelliteguys 84mustang!

That lnb is for a Phase III dish and doesn't need a power inserter. It's possible you damaged the receiver and/or lnb by using the power inserter. Try removing it and see if it works. You don't need the Slimline dish, either. Are you sure the lnb has only one output? It should have four.

Sorry, the LNB does have 4 outputs, I am only using 1 of the 4 outputs. Does it matter which output I use? I was having problems finding any signal without the power inserter.

Assuming they are all working, they are all the same. Have you tried the other outputs?

The phase III lnb does not use a power insterter. You may have fried it when you connected it to the power inserter. Remove the power inserter and check to see if it works. If it doesn't then the lnb is probably fried and will have to be replaced.

Unless you're wanting certain channels that are on 119 all U need is a 18" dish with a single output LNB.

The 21v from the power inserter is very unlikely to have fried the LNB. The receiver provides 13v to the LNb when it wants an odd-numbered transponder and 18v when it wants an even one.
Two possibilities. First, you have a cable/connector issue that is creating too much voltage drop. Using the PI is generating enough voltage to overcome the voltage drop - that means you are probably seeing the odd numbered transponders all the time.
Second, the receiver is faulty and is not generating the necessary switching voltages. Most likely this would result in getting only the evens (since the 21v would have the same effect as 18v).
But to my mind the cable/connector issue is the most likely.

The 21v from the power inserter is very unlikely to have fried the LNB. The receiver provides 13v to the LNb when it wants an odd-numbered transponder and 18v when it wants an even one.
Two possibilities. First, you have a cable/connector issue that is creating too much voltage drop. Using the PI is generating enough voltage to overcome the voltage drop - that means you are probably seeing the odd numbered transponders all the time.
Second, the receiver is faulty and is not generating the necessary switching voltages. Most likely this would result in getting only the evens (since the 21v would have the same effect as 18v).
But to my mind the cable/connector issue is the most likely.

This was my first thought.

Thank you for all the feedback. I will try disconnecting the power inserter and check to see if that works. If I was checking the line from the receiver to the dish using a volt meter, should it register anything?

Thank you for all the feedback. I will try disconnecting the power inserter and check to see if that works. If I was checking the line from the receiver to the dish using a volt meter, should it register anything?

Depends on which end you're checking at.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Check the voltage at the cable where it connects to the lnb. It should read 13 or 18 volts. The voltage will depend on what transponder the receiver is on. 13 volts on a odd transponder, 18 volts on a even transponder. If you have someone change the channel several times, (example, start at channel 238 then change to 241-242-244-245-246) while you check voltage at the lnb connection and the voltage changes back and forth from 13 to 18 volts, then the lnb is probably bad. If the voltage stays at 13 or 18 volts and does not change as the channels are changed, the recover is bad.

Last edited:
You damaged it the power inserter puts out 21v it's meat to work whith swim not slime line

You damaged it the power inserter puts out 21v it's meat to work whith swim not slime line

You obviously did not read the thread. The power inserter putting out 21v will NOT damage a regular LNB. The LNB is quite used to getting 18v when an even numbered transponder is selected and 21v won't harm it.

It's designed for 13/18 switching, 21 is not much more than 18 and depending on the length of the line the full 21 usually don't make it all the way there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)