Problems with 625

djmav

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
San Leandro, CA
I have a 625 and everytime i turn it on either tv1 or tv2, I get the message no phone line connected, failure. It says test but it won't allow you to go any further.

Any ideas? Tried boot and I am hold with tech support right now

I'm sorry if this sounds too obvious, but I gotta ask. Is there a working phone-line plugged into the 625? I mean, have you actually tried plugging it in to a phone and physically test it out?

I know a lot of times when I get trouble calls like this they end up being a bad connection with the phone line

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is that you could not bypass that screen at all, no matter what I tried. Power off, reboot it came back up to that same screen.

After spending an hour waiting on tech support, they did something on their end to clear it up.

Just a heads up for people with 625's that this can happen if it is not set up properly by the installers (what the dish csr said).

djmav said:
Just a heads up for people with 625's that this can happen if it is not set up properly by the installers (what the dish csr said).

I disagree... it happens because a phone line is not connected to it. As an installer I'm only required to run that 25 foot cord that comes in the receiver box. I ain't breaking into your NID and running an extra phone line for free.. not with the liability of screwing up your whole telephone system.

bcshields said:
I disagree... it happens because a phone line is not connected to it. As an installer I'm only required to run that 25 foot cord that comes in the receiver box. I ain't breaking into your NID and running an extra phone line for free.. not with the liability of screwing up your whole telephone system.

Ah yes. There's that familiar "I ain't runnin' no phone wire" attitude.

Irregardless of the "I ain't runnin' the phone wire" attitude, it sounds like the phone line was not hooked up and it took a CSR to bypass the phone pop-up screen. Djmav, if I were you, I would keep a close watch on your monthly statements. If the CSR did what I think they did, they probably flagged your receiver as not having an active phone line. And as such, it can and WILL be charged the $4.95 monthly fee.

If you have a phone jack near your television, then hook that 25' of phone line that came with the receiver. Otherwise you are stuck either installing a phonejack or using a set of wireless phonejacks. Those are a tad costly. Last time I checked, most Dish retailers charge between $35 and $40 for them

Once you hook up your phone lines after they were not installs for a while do you have to call them up to get the $4.99 fee cleared off of the account for having them connected or will it automatically be taken off of the bill when the receiver dials out?

The phone fee will automatically be removed once the receiver makes contact with the computer via phone line. Even if you call once the phone is active they can't/won't do anything for you. So if you get hooked with the phone fee you can add a phone line or a wireless phone base and get that removed.

Since I don't have a land line, is there a setting in the receiver to tell it not to display the pop-up screen nagging about the phone connection and I'll just pay the extra fee? This question also applies to the 942.

Since I don't have a land line, is there a setting in the receiver to tell it not to display the pop-up screen nagging about the phone connection and I'll just pay the extra fee? This question also applies to the 942.

The phone line fee applies to 322, 522, 625, & 942.. basically any reciever that connects to 2 TVs.

if you are getting the phone line message on your screen and you do have a phone line connected to the reciever, first thing to do is connect a phone to the same phone line running to the reciever. if you have no dial tone, replace the phone wire or check out the wall jack. If you do hear dial tone, make sure your phone service doesn't have 800 numbers blocked. the reciever dials a 800 to verify connection & to upload PPV purchases. next check the reciever menu options for phone line prefixes. if you have to dial a "9" or "1" first when you make an 800 call, you can set that there. the last thing you can do is pick up another phone on the same number and run a phone connection test in the diagnostics menu.. you should hear a clicking sound on the other phone. that is the modem trying to dial out. if you dont hear any clicking, the modem is probably bad in the reciever. if you have a 625, you are probably a DHA customer. Call in to get a replacement

bcshields- echostar is paying you or your retailer for a standard pro install. You better check with your boss because a standard install includes a standard phone jack installed to dual tuner recievers. just like it includes rg6 cable installed (standard,through 1 wall,no fish) to each reciever.

madisondish said:
bcshields- echostar is paying you or your retailer for a standard pro install. You better check with your boss because a standard install includes a standard phone jack installed to dual tuner recievers. just like it includes rg6 cable installed (standard,through 1 wall,no fish) to each reciever.

IS This True?

I was told by my installer in Jan that the only thing they did on a Dish install was run the included cable to a existing jack.
Installing a New Jack was a extra charge service if I wanted that done.
I went with a set of PhoneX wireless modem jacks for $39 instead.

jtravel,

its not true, dish techs aren't trained to run and install new phone lines. the only thing they have is the roll of 25 feet of phone line included with the reciever. If you need a phone line installed where a reciever is, call your phone company to have it done or the other option is to get the 39.99 wireless phone jack as you did

Damian is correct, the only thing the tech HAS to do is hook up the phone line to an existing jack. During the initial order a customer makes with the Dish, the CSR is supposed to ask if a phone jack is within 25' of a T.V. that is going to be wired to a dual-tuner receiver. If the technician installs the jack, then he is going above and beyond what is expected

when you say "dish tech" i think you are refering to dish network itself right, not local dealers- because the local retailer I worked for understood that it was required from dish

madisondish said:
when you say "dish tech" i think you are refering to dish network itself right, not local dealers- because the local retailer I worked for understood that it was required from dish
That happens a lot - when the retailer can shaft the installer into doing it for free.

installing a new phone line is absolutely not part of a basic pro install. The receiver must be connected to an existing phone jack within 25 ft of the reciever on the same wall. If that is not available, the customer needs to have a phone tech (like the phone company) install a new jack, or purchase wireless phone jack.

You open up a whole new can of worms as an installation company when you start fiddling with customer's phone lines. All kinds of things can be blamed on the installer, whether or not it is actually their fault, such as: alarm system, static on the line, etc.