Problems with Doom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Acerone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Long Island
I couldn't get Doom to play. I got a CD message on the player and that's it. The player also locked up on me 3 times with the Doom DVD.

Worked fine on mine. Except that I didn't like the movie at all - wasted $30! :)

teamerickson said:
I had the player lock up once while playing Phantom. I was pausing, scanning back and forth and I guess the player didn't like it.
Happened to me once as well. I think this wasn't a problem with the disc, but a bug in the firmware. Glad the firmware is upgradable. ;)

Acerone, try cleaning the disc with a soft cloth and some water.
If this doesn't help take it back to the store for an exchange. Sounds like a defective disc.

Lockups,freezes,audio dropouts It started out fine but the last couple of days it has been a pain in the &*^It might be going back because I am tired of it and I am not the only one that is having these problems.

No problems here. I love being an early adopter! Minor glitches don't bother me at all. A very small price to pay for the privilege of enjoying the best Picture Quality available todate!

Ilya said:
No problems here. I love being an early adopter! Minor glitches don't bother me at all. A very small price to pay for the privilege of enjoying the best Picture Quality available todate!

You sound like a Toshiba salesman. LOL. Ill wait until they work the bugs out of this thing. SOunds like it doesnt have enough horsepower under the hood to navigate through an HD movie without locking up.

No problems here. Mine has been 100% perfect if you dont count the beer run (slow boot time).

Here's my caveat. I definately like the HD quality and sound. This DVD player overall is not a good appliance. I am ok with it since it was only $500 but I have to say its definately not the best entertainment device I have seen. I would definately seek other ones out when available and compare. Toshiba might have a hard time getting me to consider buying another device or theirs. Aside from that, HD movies look great.

I also refuse to watch Doom HD or not. I still have to catch up on Daily Show and Colbert Report. Dont have 2 hours to waste on that movie.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
You sound like a Toshiba salesman. LOL. Ill wait until they work the bugs out of this thing. SOunds like it doesnt have enough horsepower under the hood to navigate through an HD movie without locking up.
I think it may more on the software side then the hardware side. Figuring out the new technology.

No problems with mine either, and a lot of the problems I read about is user errors, like if they pause the movie, change inputs on the TV it loses the HDMI handshake and locks up, or the 'my sound is not any better and then find they are using coaxial/optical, etc, etc.

I find my player very frustrating to use. Long delays turning on, opening the drawer (I mean really what does it take to do this?), loading the disc, etc. This coupled with lockups makes it very hard to use. I keep trying for upgrades to the firmware, but it appears there are not updates yet (I hook up the internet so the player can see if there are updates). Yes you should be able to do trick plays and not have it lock up...

If it was not for the spectacular picture quality I would consider it a waste of money. I would not consider another toshiba product at this time just for the design of the remote control... This is not 1970! No frame forward and advance? All the keys in strait lines, you have to count rows in the dark to figure out the keys?

I keep regularly checking, hoping that one day there will be a firmware update that will at least take the delays out of the unit. I knew there would be trouble when I bought it, and I will probably buy a Blu-Ray player when it first comes out next month and suffer a new set of bugs.

Well at least they have the ability to update, compared to my first $1200 DVD player...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)