Problems with PS3 and Linksys routers.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I have a problem where with some games I can not get updates because I get signed out of the PS network. After doing some searching I found others with the same problem. Anyone have a solution?

I had the same problems with my Linksys. My PS3 and Wii would constantly get booted off when in wireless mode. I got rid of it and got a Netgear. Rock solid now. No issues.

I was wondering about that myself. I have a three-year-old Linksys router and am constantly gettting booted off the network, first using the wireless and then a wired connection. For the most part, I've been able to download games and demos and updates with only occasional interruptions, but I often have to re-sign in once or twice before I even can access the store. Two weeks ago, however, I had re-connect over a dozen times to get a relatively small LBP update to complete download. First time that has ever happened.

I had the same problems with my Linksys. My PS3 and Wii would constantly get booted off when in wireless mode. I got rid of it and got a Netgear. Rock solid now. No issues.

Do you have to replace the lynksys adapters if you get a Netgear router? If so it would be to expensive for me to switch at this time. BTW I read where if you disable the media center it helps with the lyinksys problem. I did it and it does help but I still get booted once and a while.

I has this problem when I was using the Verizon (Actiontec) wireless router which was on the other side of the house. I turned off the Actiontec wireless capabilities and slaved a Linksys Wireless-G off of the ActionTec. Although it works much, much better, occasionally I will get booted off the PlayStation Network during the middle of a game and the only think that seems to work is to reboot the ActionTec router. According to this thread the Actiontec router has a "puny NAT Table" which can creates problems with bittorrent and online gaming. On a side note, I have never had a problem with another PS3 "hardwired" Linksys router or my 3rd (new 40GB model) PS3s getting bounced using wireless.

You may want to check for firmware upgrades to the Linksys routers. I've seen some that wouldn't even let any wireless computers attach unless they were Windows machines. A firmware update fixed this problem.

You may want to check for firmware upgrades to the Linksys routers. I've seen some that wouldn't even let any wireless computers attach unless they were Windows machines. A firmware update fixed this problem.

I have it hardwired to the router. I'm not sure how to install firmware. I know it isn't simply pointing and clicking.

I have a problem where with some games I can not get updates because I get signed out of the PS network. After doing some searching I found others with the same problem. Anyone have a solution?

Make sure to turn off ssid broadcast. This signal with the ps3/linksys tends to cause it to try and renogatiate its connection. And of course change your ssid to something unique instead of LINKSYS.

I have it hardwired to the router. I'm not sure how to install firmware. I know it isn't simply pointing and clicking.

Go to the Linksys web site, click on downloads(Top of screen), pick your router, download your firmware.

Now go to your router and click on firmware upgrade, select file you downloaded and you are done.

Funny thing is that when I was writing this I realized I need to upgrade my firmware.

Here is a pic of my upgrade page.

Attachments

• router.JPG
    router.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 274
So should I hard wire the ps3 or update the firmware? I have a linksys, I play ncaa football and I do drop games. That really makes you mad, and than have to start another win streak.

I thought I saw some improvement after I hardwired my PS3 to my Linksys router, but I defintely think a firmware upgrade is in order, even if it doesn't fix the problem either.

I did a firmware update, the date of the update was 3-08. I will see if it helps. keep you posted

Don't forget to turn off the SSID broadcast. This is a widespread problem with the PS3 particularly with Linksys, even with the latest software.

So I finally got around to the firmware update on my Linksys WRT54G, and also changed the channel to one currently not being used in my neighborhood. I'm happy to report that I didn't get a "disconnected from the network" message once during two solid hours of playing LBP. I didn't turn off SSID broadcasting, as I wasn't sure how that would affect my wireless devices' ability to find the router, but if I encounter any disconnects again, I'll try that next.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Go to the Linksys web site, click on downloads(Top of screen), pick your router, download your firmware.

Now go to your router and click on firmware upgrade, select file you downloaded and you are done.

Funny thing is that when I was writing this I realized I need to upgrade my firmware.

Here is a pic of my upgrade page.

Hey guys, when you say...."Go to your router to click on the firmware upgrade" how do you go to your router?

Thanks !!!!! J

My win streak is 15:). I updated the firmware of my router (wrt54gv4). I disable media service on the ps3. I also turned off the ssid on the router. I didnt hardware the ps3. I searched and found that hard wire helps if you have slow download speeds from the playstaion network. It takes me about 1 hr for 1 g file. just make sure you have a good single from your router. I have 80-100 all the time.

Typically you use your web browser to go to cPanel

Default password is "admin." Don't type anything under User Name. If you go to Linksys Web site and you follow their otherwise good instructions on how to reset your router to its factory defaults, use the address tnsprin provided rather than the one the instructions give as the default address (which they list as 192.168.1.245).

I'm not entirely sure this was necessary, but in order to access via the Web browser the router's settings, they instruct you to set up a static IP address, which I did, following their instructions.

After almost a week, so far so good on not getting bumped from the PSN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)