Prodelin 1.2M VSAT offset dish Series 1134

adrian

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Can someone please give me the length of the feed rods for the above dish.The dish was given to me with incorrect feed rods.

That is going to be hard. Off set feed dishes rarely give a focal point dimension. Sometime the feed support struts were different lengths depending on the type of feed horn.
Unless you can find an exact duplicate to measure or I hope find an engineering drawing you might have to measure a similar size dish and start from there.

Thanks Todd.
Perhaps if i give all the measurements an Engineer out there may be able to calculate the lenth of the bottom feed rod.The hight of the dish is 49.60" with a diameter of 47.63"Prodelin gave me the ABCD as,33.72,36.97,51.54 and 48.28 inches.The distance from bottom of feedhorn neck is 37.56" to the centre of the dish.Being an Internet broadband dish the face of the feed is normally in the region of 5".I want to use a normal KU feed with a face of about 2 " for TV satellite reception.Will the smaller feed make much difference to the above measurements.?I will be using a standard feed holder and if i can get the angle degrees of the bottom feed rod,sloping up, it will assist in the length of the two side rods.Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

1.2 Channel master

:hatsoff: Hi Guys,
I,m new here .... and have the same problem like you.... Bought this dish but the owner said the pipes were distroyed ...its a 1.2m channel master.I would love to use it to get G11 for Directway Internet.I can buy
the 1/2 od metal conduit in my paiz ....
So would apreciate any help with the measurement of the pipes and the distance from to of dish to lnb.
In previous thread there is some measurements but i can't understand them,are they inches and centimeters?

Thanks in Advance
eliang

You have no realistic chance of using that 1.2 meter for Hughes Net (formaly DirecWay), using a home made feed arm. The feed arm for a two-way internet dish is not a round tube. It is a rectanguler tube with a bend at the end and very precise engineering to postion the Feed horn and attached rx and tx equipment.
By law you need a certified technician to alighn the dish, and the time and expense it will take to goof around with a home made device would be better off spent just buying a used, complete 1.2 meter dish.
There are aways old dishes just sitting around. Post an ad in a local paper. I bet there is more than one tech who knows if a dish you can buy.
You can try using our On Line Directory, or give me your zip and I can check my off line database.

Last edited:
help forums

Hi Todd,
I appreciate the input,but in life sometimes its good to try and build things,
see i build dishes out of fiberglass and alluminuim foil and make them work like factory,when someone say you can't that's just what i need to hear to do better ...
All i need is the measurement for the feed legs bro if anyone can afford me the time to get me them,thats what make life work, some advice and some help,and some measurement.....

thanks in advance
eliang:hungry:

Prodelin Dish

Eliang you are dead right,build it yourself.The experience i have gained always hold oneself in good stead for future projects.Writing from South Africa i wanted to watch satellite channels on my dish and eventually got some good advice from a member of another forum.I will keep it short,although it took hours to get a perfect picture.
1.I made my own feed holder.
2.Side legs are 1200mm or 47.24 inches.
3.Bottom leg from front of dish to feed holder 1040mm or 40.94 inches.
4.The end of the bottom leg which fits on to the bottom of the dish can be any length for adjusting purposes.
5.The bend of the bottom leg i made 36 degrees.
6.Measurements are to the end of the throat of my LNBF,.3dB
Note.I noted a variance of side legs whereby they fit on to a cross bar which are attached to the back of the dish mount.I mention this should you be offered some side legs.
I hope the above is of some help to you.Good luck.

Eliang,

The difference here is you are broadcasting to a satellite. That is far different than a receive only system. There are plenty of in-tact dishes out there that you can use. Anytime a commercial VSAT system is removed from the service the dish is left behind.

The feed boom is different from a receive system to a VSAT system. You can try yourself, but remember that when you fire that system up, you will be broadcasting a signal that can screw up the network. That is why it is a FCC law that only certified installers align a VSAT dish.

The feed horn must also be matched to your dish. You cannot simply take the feed horn and ODU from a .72 meter dish and move it to a 1.2 meter dish. They are not the same.

Please keep in mind that when you are screwing around trying to tweak your system you maybe affecting other users. Go ahead and play around with TVRO systems, but do not tinker with dishes that broadcast.

If you really want to tinker. Make a C-band dish out of a fence coated with steel panels. Funny looking, but it worked. The fence was 25 feet wide and very slightly curved. You change c-band satellites by moving the feed horn to different points along the fence. Focal point was around 25 feet. That was in 1983. My first home built dish. I understand the fun in tinkering, but back then I was not affecting others. You might.

Tinkering

Hi Todd Humphery,
In 1983 i was 18 yrs old,in 82 when i was 17yrs old i made my first cband dish out of mahogany wood 10ft and aluminuim screen wire everything was wide open then had an old DX reciever that i kept polished for it brown wood tone.
The Dway lnb is off a 1.1m dway commercial system because the dish just warp up due to the heat, its kinda old. See i,m in a caribbean country i know about tx/rx dishes this one pass the test.
The feed legs from the 1.1m only the center one will work see because its the aluminuim odu i can also use the old white odu which gives a better signal strenght with a 6000 modem. I have tinkered with the small starband dish just change the lnbs it work better than the dway dish out here....Anyway guys we learn by trying things its all about the measurements and degrees... my grandad told me before he passed to not make the mistakes kill you learn from the first trial.....
Thanks everyone, everyday is a new journey to greener pastures...

Thanks a whole bunch
eliang:up

Thanks very much

Hi adrian,
Thats what its all about bro growing with the time,see adrian i,m the only guy that repair laptop computer hardware in this little country,why because i went to devry but when i finish there i didn't stop learning life is about continued growing ....
I also make my own feed holder,a 4in piece of aluminuim angle
1in x 21/4in then i bend the corners out 45deg drill a hold and attach it to the side legs with 1/4 in bolts mine you the sidelegs have a 1/4in nut with(factory) washer welded into the end neetly done....ive made my own mold for 1.8m channel master and it works like factory,i stop now because fiberglass have gone up in price and its cheaper to buy the dishes now...
Anyway bro thanks a lot for the info,i apreciate the help...

Thanks
eliang:hungry:

You guys just cannot see the difference between a receive only system and a transmit and receive system. This has nothing to do with your ability to chop glass. The FCC was very reluctant to allow technicians with only one day training to install transmitting systems. The FCC is closely monitoring the issue of improperly aligned VSAT systems. If a problem develops and it is determined to be a result of improperly installed VSAT systems, the FCC may require a far more stringent certification and licensing path for this industry. Every time a VSAT system is improperly aligned, it has the potential to interfere with other satellites, and the users who use them.

Making a home made feed horn boom and tinkering around with the focal length creates all sorts of side lobe issues. You may very well find a focal length that gives you maximum signal strength, and cross pol, but creates undesirable side lobes on the transmit side. These side lobes will affect other people.

For the record, in 1983 I was 21 and was working for a company that manufactured 10' and 12' fiberglass dishes. I chopped at least 100 dishes before I moved to installation later that year. Working with that company I helped engineer two more dishes with lower F/D ratios for maximum TI suppression (We had a lot in the South Seattle area).

I have been a field technician in the TVRO business for over 25 years. I started working with Hughes products back in the DirecPC days where you installed an ISA card the size of a Buick in the PC. I am HughesNet certified, WildBlue certified, Starband certified, Galileo certified, IDirect trained and I installed hundreds of DX systems in Seattle, WA for residential and SMATV systems (Nice stuff, way ahead of their times)

This is not about knowledge or skills. This issue is about doing the right thing. Tinkering around with a transmit system whereas you may be interfering with other users is wrong. Get the right equipment and pay a certified installer to align the dish. If you cannot find an installer, then at least learn the proper method of cross pol alignment.

...I want to use a normal KU feed with a face of about 2 " for TV satellite reception.
I will be using a standard feed holder and ...
It's pretty clear the OP isn't planning to transmit.

Without reading all the particulars of the thread, I think this has been covered, but it's still worth mentioning...
You can find the focal point of your offset dish by hand-holding the LNB .
Set the mounts elevation and general direction toward any circular DBS satellite.
Connect a circular LNB to a power source (receiver) and a $10 sat meter.
Hold the LNB (put it on a yard stick if you like) at the approximate focal point, and move it around .
After all, you know roughly where the LNB needs to be.
You're just not sure to the tune of maybe plus/minus 6 inches.
How hard is that to track down? (in a 1 foot sphere)
Any calculations you do beforehand will get you closer for a starting point.

If rocket science was this easy, we'd be walking on the planets by now...:cool:

geez, my 600th post! I gotta get a life.

It is true the original poster did not say he was doing two-way. However, he did support the idea of Eliang making his own feed boom. Because the original poster participated in the threads direction, I did not feel that the thread was being hijacked.

There is a growing problem with HughsNet customer using home made devices and off the shelf tripods for HugheNet systems. There is a potential for things to get real nasty if Hughes and the FCC decide they need to clamped down on system installation and activations.

Todd -

I re-read the thread and caught the comment about actually using a dish for transmitting.
We'll be taking Eliang and his co-conspirators out back for a good beating tonight. :eek:
In that particular case, experimenting is not the way to go.

Using any of the dishes mentioned for receiving is good sport, however.
And I'm all for experimenting in that regard. :)
(see my post above)

Tinkering

Hi Anole,
The word is RETROFIT bro maybe you work for the FCC but if you had a 1.0m directway business setup the dish warp up u still have the boomfeed and the 2 little feed support,then 1.2m but no feedleg or anything to go on the 1.2m wouldn't you retrofit the 1.0m boomfeed to work on the 1.2m... the brew thats cooking doesn't smell right here to me
bro maybe i can be offthe wall but which wall,let me hear it.....//

eliang

I'm done.

... Every time a VSAT system is improperly aligned, it has the potential to interfere with other satellites, and the users who use them.
....This issue is about doing the right thing.
Tinkering around with a transmit system whereas you may be interfering with other users is wrong.
There is nothing more I can add to that. :(

Apology

Hi Anole,
Thanks for bursting my bubble....i truly apologize///////
Went out and bought a use 1.0m now i see the difference,the 1.0m for directway is shallow and round and the channel master is deep and egg
shaped....cuddoze guys.....

thanks
eliang:up