product life span??

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
how long (educated guess please) do you think the 622 will be in service and supported by dish network? 4yrs? 7yrs? etc... I'm trying to figure out that if i invest in a 622 today it will serve me well for years to come and not be forced to upgrade ANY time soon... i know mpeg4 is the future soo how long is this future going to last... thank you all

I'm sure that something bigger and better with new features will be out within a year or two but I would think this receiver will be supported for quite a while. They'll sucker me in though with "The next big thing" I'm sure :D I think there are a few features to be activated on the 622 before it goes anywhere. The nice thing about leasing the hardware is that upgrades are not quite as painful!

Mike

I would suspect the biggest change for the 622 will be a hardrive that will allow up to 100 or more hours of HD.
This brings up another question. the current 622 is supposed to hold 30 hours of HD. When all HD gets to mpeg 4 will the hard drive support 60 hours of hd or stay the same.

:) they will almost always support every receiver they branded. the question should be not if but when the hard drive will quit. the bigest problem i see is is runs so hot!!! your cooking at 100+deg, 24-7!!! it needs 2 big fans! it just seems like such a good receiver other wise. i would like to see a clock and channel display in the future. i leased this VIP622, my first leased receiver with dish. i have been with them for 10+ years.

I do not think anybody will have the receivers that they have today in 5-10 years because Dish and Directv plan on swapping everyone out to MPEG-4 receivers.

Dish will always "support" the box. However, you most likely would not want such a box for too many years because we will always be enticed to upgrade to the latest boxes with the latest features that will make the current boxes seem clunky, at least at the pace technology is changing. And if you still have your really old box, but dish will no longer "support" it, then Dish will replace it at no charge. That has been procedure since day one. Except for the HD module $45 business. But I think they have learned their lesson on that one.

Stargazer said:
I do not think anybody will have the receivers that they have today in 5-10 years because Dish and Directv plan on swapping everyone out to MPEG-4 receivers.
Waky waky the 622/211/411 are MPEG4 receivers so they won't need to be upgraded.:)

No, MPEG-4 is the LAST big thing, as in previous.

I've had hard drive problems with my 721- I'm on my fourth one. But never with my 508 or ViP622. I think certain models have had problems, and it's less of a concern with units with new design HDs.

You'll have a hard time taking my ViP622 from me. It's superb! MUCH better than that slow junk Tivo puts out.

That link certainly does not refute my estimation. There will always be failures, but certain older models, such as the 721, seem to have more frequent failures.

navychop said:
That link certainly does not refute my estimation. There will always be failures, but certain older models, such as the 721, seem to have more frequent failures.

Older models with more hard drive use have more failures....imagine that.

Supported or not - 3 years seems the "effective" life-span for this kind of high-tech gear. Even tho I fully expect my 622 to be working past the 3yr mark (have a 501 that's 6 yrs old, 721 thats 3 yrs old), there will be new technology in about 3 years that I'll just have to have....so that's the life span (sort of like my PCs).

So....I'll move the 622 to my bedroom, the 721 to the upstairs video game room, return the 501 to Dish and lease & install the new BFG5000 receiver in the living room & all will be well for another 3 years.....:rolleyes:

Since Dish now gets most receivers back (since most are leased) if I am not mistaken, then Dish would just simply be reusing the receivers that they have now on the market. This saves quite a bit in itself and if they can do this in addition to allowing the receivers to be able to be upgraded then they should have a fraction of the cost in these receivers and be able to afford more expensive ones or afford a swapout since they will just reuse the receivers anyways when they get churn.

How long is the warranty on a new 622 if you leased it.
I also called the billing center and asked how the warranty works if you are leasing and do not pay the extra 5 bucks a month for a warranty and she said 99 dollars without warranty and 29 with.
My question she would not answer was, ok warranty is out, no monthly extra warranty and 622 goes belly up. I refuse to let them charge 100 bucks to my credit card. Will I be required to mail 622 back and no longer be a customer.?
Hard to be believe the would drop me, a customer of 9 years and no missed payments. Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)