Program archiving: offload files from USB drive to my terabyte server?

Beer Kahuna

Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I think it's great we're going to have the ability to archive shows to a USB 2.0 drive. It's also fabulous that we'll be able to play back video on other 622's/942's on the same account. Here's the $64,000 question for me:

Once the show is archived on the USB drive, I'm assuming in a digitally encrypted state so it can only be viewed on an authorized box, will I be able to move the file to another long-term storage drive? I only ask because I'm building a 2 terabyte server and I'd love to archive the shows there and then move them back to the USB drive and then view them on my 622's/942. Naturally, I also assume a 942 won't be able to play mpeg4 content.

Last edited:
well now, unless they insist on reformatting that usb drive with some propriatary file system such that it can't be used for anything else, you would pretty much be able to do anything you like with the physical files, including making copies of them on any available media. As long as the content of that file can only be played back on devices you own it really doesn't matter. You could burn the file to a dvdrom and send a copy to every person in the USA, the only ones that can do anything useful with it are those who live in your house.

Last edited:
Even if they use some weird-o disk layout, it'd be near trivial to come up with a "disk image" reader/writer that could dump the USB to a fie on a standard file system, and then put it back later.

Not real convienent, but it'd work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)