Program guide problem

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Well... this one is long and involved... but I figure I'll post the info out there in case someone else has this situation. My dish was factory installed about 3 weeks ago.... one dish 500. I ordered my local NY channels. There were some channels avail to me that would come up and say "this channel requires another dish which Dish Network will supply for free"... so, why not... I scheduled the install. They came out last Friday and installed the other dish. Now there are two dishes on my roof. Just now I tried to use the channel guide (oh, by the way, I have a 522) and it only went out 2 days! I know I've gone out 6 and 7 days before... but now it wasn't working... I unplugged my 522 and let it re-acquire the sats and it said it was downloading the channel guide... took like 1 min for the channel guide... but still it only went out 2 days. I called Dish tech support.. they had me do a bunch of tests on the unit... and they concluded that when the 2nd dish was added, the guy must have knocked the other dish out slightly... he said they would send someone out on Wed (today is Monday night) to fix the problem... which I thought was ok. Then he said he put in for an "interruption of service" credit for me for the inconvenience... $10... but I thought it was a nice guesture. Anywho.... just thought I'd pass the info on.

I don't see how the dish not being peaked would cause the program guide to mess up. As you long as you have a signal and can see all of the channels, the 522 should be able to download the full program guide.

The tech said my system can no longer see sat 110.... which is where the system gets the channel guide...

The 7 (9) day guide comesfrom 110 transponder 29. What is your signal strength on 29?

I'm at work now... I'll check these channels out and report as soon as I get home.

When I tune in 102... it goes to 101 by itself.

When I tune to 105 - It goes to 105 and it looks fine.

OK, a zero on 110 - 29 explanes why no extended guide. now we need to find out why.
On a dish 500 its hard to lose 110 and not also lose 119
can you check strength on the following?
119 transponders 11 & 12
and
110 also 11 & 12
Are you able to get the channels that are on 61.5? (the newly added dish)

Yes... I can get the new channels on the new dish...

119 11 is 117
119 12 is 118

110 11 is 117
110 12 is 117

Also... I have two receivers... a 522 and a 301... I can get the new channels on the 522 but cannot on the 301. They didn't work on the 522 either, at first... tech support walked me through a whole bunch of stuff and they got it working... somehow...

One other note: When I'm looking at the signal strength... on some transponders... it goes from like 117 to zero for a few seconds... then back to 117... then a few seconds later... back to zero.... like its in and out... I don't know.

The tech will be here tomorrow.... I hope they can figure it out.

yes those signal drops are pertinent. Ive actually heard of bad LNB's causing this... but thats pretty much on the FSS birds (105 predominately). You may have a bad lnb or a bad switch... or something... seems fishy. have you run a switch check on the 301. menu 6-1-1-1 check swithck, test. it may still be picking up the dish 500 and not the extra dish (which would cause the problem)

The dish guy will be out today from noon - 5PM... I'll know more then...

But I can tell you that the Dish tech had me run a switch test... it brought up a screen that had the two sat results listed side by side... I read the results of each sat and the transponder... each one had three listings... one was 119, one was 61.5 and the other was an "X". The tech on the phone said this is what is causing the problem... no 110 listed.

All this started when the other dish and switch was installed... must be one of those things....

Oh yeah... and there was a red box under each sat that read something like "signal error"... or something like that.

ShadowEKU said:
yes those signal drops are pertinent. Ive actually heard of bad LNB's causing this... but thats pretty much on the FSS birds (105 predominately). You may have a bad lnb or a bad switch... or something... seems fishy. have you run a switch check on the 301. menu 6-1-1-1 check swithck, test. it may still be picking up the dish 500 and not the extra dish (which would cause the problem)
I had technicians out several times and they have replaced every piece of equipment (including cables) trying to get rid of the signal drops on the point dish screen (among other problems). The only thing they haven't replaced is the reflector dish and mounting hardware. I'm on my fifth 522 and every one of them has had the signal drop problem on the point dish screen. One of the technicians wasn't happy when Dish made him re-string new cables in an attempt to fix the problem. He said he took my old 522 back to his shop and it did the same thing there.

The signal drops on the point dish screen seem to be a problem with the 522 itself. From my experience it looks like a flaw on almost all of them. Dish will tell you that it is an installation problem and keep sending out technicians but it won't do any good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)