Proposal for how to ground dish and cables...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... I would ask those with experience to critique what I am proposing to do to ground my satellite dish and rg6 cables (I am doing my own self install)... What I propose to do is the following... In the attic, just inside the place where I poke a hole in the house to bring in the four video cables from the triple lnb/5x4 multiswitch, I intend to mount a quad ground block. Those four video cables from the multi-switch outputs will attach to 4 high bandwidth barrels that are part of that ground block. Then four other video cables will attach to the other side of those barrels and will go on to where I will have receivers in various rooms. I will then run a #10 wire from the base of the satellite mast (outside) to this ground block (just on the inside, in the attic). I will then run another #10 wire from that ground block, through the attic and down into the garage where I can bond it to the service ground where it comes into the house.

Does this sound ok or is it flawed?? If so, how?? Also, if you ground the shields as I have described above at or near the place where those cables enter the house from the outside, and if you also ground the shields a second time at the receiver inputs which I am assuming are also grounded through the ground of the receiver chassis, does this cause issues with ground loops??? I am an EE and work with signal conditioning systems all the time where we endeavor to only ground shields at one end, at one place, to avoid ground loops... But it appears from everything I have read that because of NEC codes and safety concerns, grounding at the house point of entry is a must... Are the receiver ends also grounded as I am assuming??? I am not buying receivers until I get everything else bought and figured out, thus my ignorance of how the receivers are configured though I did read recently that they ARE grounded, at least the newer ones are.... So any comments about ground loops and whether or not they are a problem in these satellite setups??

One last quick question, why don't they allow the shields of the four multi-switch outputs to be connected to a ground lug right there rather than forcing one to install these grounding blocks some distance away, the latter of which forces a barrel connection in the middle of the video feed, something that I would assume can only cause signal loss and problems. Grounding right at the start of those video cables would remove the need for that extra barrel connection... My guess is the answer is NEC code rules about grounding right at the penetration point but perhaps someone can clarify??...

thanks for the help... diitto...

Although alot of free installs are garbage why do people try to self install? Why not let the professionals do it? If you don't like a free installer hire someone to install it.

I do a lot of high end professional installs.

The NEC (2002) requires that all grounding blocks and all grounding conductors be placed outside of the structure.

On my own personal install, I have all of the grounding blocks inside of a durable weatherproof box. The grounding conductor discretely runs to the survice entrance ground and is bonded to it there. The dish is grounded at one of the bolts on the mounting foot.

an answer to why I choose to do a self install...

deezoneezo... You answered your own question with your words, "Although alot of free installs are garbage"... Nothing more I need to add... diitto

Let me also say as an self installer that the installer's knowledge when it comes to debugging a system is very lacking.

I work in the electronics field for over 30 years now and had a BUD before the little dish and I won't let an installer near my equipment.

I find that they don't follow the NEC standard when I have to go over to a friend's house and "fix" a bad install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)