Protecting hopper from surges, power outages

do they make surge protectors for dryers?

They make whole-house surge protectors. From Leviton:
Types of surge protective devices at three levels within the home to effectively protect your electronic devices from the ruining effects of voltage surges. Type 1 devices are installed at the utility meter, Type 2 devices are mounted to the load side of the main service panel and Type 3 devices are typically plugged into electronic equipment within the home.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=61379

Reactions: MikeD-C05
A single outlet surge protector (plugs into your outlet and your appliance plugs into it) is all you need to protect a washer or a dryer. Though the repairman said my dryer didn't need the surge protector. But new washers are almost all computerized now, with mother boards that controls everything.

Yes, 120 volt. I've seen surge protectors marketed specifically for washers/dryers and refrigerators. Nice features, but really low joule counts. I've read recommendations of 600 or 900 joules. I prefer over a thousand.

I have not seen a 220 volt 60 cycle surge protector for dryers.

Yes, 120 volt. I've seen surge protectors marketed specifically for washers/dryers and refrigerators. Nice features, but really low joule counts. I've read recommendations of 600 or 900 joules. I prefer over a thousand.

I have not seen a 220 volt 60 cycle surge protector for dryers.

i just bought a dryer, i dont remember seeing any that were not 220 was why i was wondering
most are 30 amps, a few 20

If you're just worried about power spikes (that and brownouts are responsible for most PWBA failures) just get one for your main fusebox. It goes in a spot just like a double circuit breaker. The only wiring needed is to place the ground wire from the protector to the fusebox ground strip... easy for many people. This will do a far better job of protecting your appliances (and everything else in your house) from spikes than the ones at the appliance since it is closer to the incoming power and distance is important even at the speed of light (electricity in this case).

Reactions: niceguypmp3
I have that (whole home at breaker box) too. It is my understanding that they really don't work very well. Hard for me to trust something for the job that's smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)