PSIP and PBS - email I sent to Dish

well, the guy called back and said that they didnt have the channels mapped in my dma and that it should come on once I get the updates. well I ran checkswitch and it didnt work, and I also changed the update time and had the receivers update and it still didnt work.

"once I get the updates" = "once they get the channels mapped and spool the updates to you"

Is your DMA perchance one of the newer ones?

If you were in same DMA as me you might see something different ;) if you wait till tomorrow or force a guide update.

I think they still have something screwed up. unfortunately I will be away for a week.... so that means they have a week to get it right.

Another possible reason why Dish doesn't use PSIP data is that it still isn't very reliable in some markets, such as the one I'm in. My DLP has had a few issues with bad PSIP data causing the ATSC tuner to either drop the channel or even lock up. I've also had nothing but problems with the integrated TV Guide On Screen that may be related to PSIP data issues as well.
With their own guide data, Dish only has to account for one source of data, a source they control. If they were to roll PSIP support into their guide system, they would have to integrate data from hundreds, if not thousands of data sources and hope that each one has properly implemented PSIP. If even a small percentage of local broadcasters hasn't, think of the support calls that would generate. Though a bit dated, I found this article to have an interesting take on the situation: http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA240775.html?industryid=43677

Keep in mind, there are a LOT of smaller markets that are just starting the transition to ATSC. These small market TV stations most often lack the money and technical expertise to properly implement PSIP right out of the gate. My hope is that as things improve with PSIP, Dish would at least make the use of PSIP data an option alongside their own guide data. But, until the technology matures, I'm concerned that with PSIP, we'd just be exchanging one problem for another; incomplete guide data vs. unstable and incomplete guide data.

griz_fan said:
Another possible reason why Dish doesn't use PSIP data is that it still isn't very reliable in some markets, such as the one I'm in. My DLP has had a few issues with bad PSIP data causing the ATSC tuner to either drop the channel or even lock up. I've also had nothing but problems with the integrated TV Guide On Screen that may be related to PSIP data issues as well.
With their own guide data, Dish only has to account for one source of data, a source they control. If they were to roll PSIP support into their guide system, they would have to integrate data from hundreds, if not thousands of data sources and hope that each one has properly implemented PSIP. If even a small percentage of local broadcasters hasn't, think of the support calls that would generate. Though a bit dated, I found this article to have an interesting take on the situation: http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA240775.html?industryid=43677

Keep in mind, there are a LOT of smaller markets that are just starting the transition to ATSC. These small market TV stations most often lack the money and technical expertise to properly implement PSIP right out of the gate. My hope is that as things improve with PSIP, Dish would at least make the use of PSIP data an option alongside their own guide data. But, until the technology matures, I'm concerned that with PSIP, we'd just be exchanging one problem for another; incomplete guide data vs. unstable and incomplete guide data.

What you say is certainly feasible. So why then doesn't Dish just allow whatever EPG system they are using to be accessible by all their customers regardless of whether they sub to LiLs or not?

another issue with PSIP is with the DVR's and name base recording. Since the PSIP data likely isn't the same as Dish uses, then Name Base Recording will not work reliably with it.

still no local ota guide info. the guy called today and tolfd me that it should have been on tuesday... but it isnt. supposed to call me back.

SKrueger said:
So what cable company carries the sub-channels for a digital OTA channel and shows it in their guide.

Our service (Insight) does. Not only that but they take some of the more popular digital subchannels (like the Weather Tracker service and a PBS subchannel) and provide them on both the analog and digital tier. They also plan to do that with the CW "network" beginning next month.

waltinvt said:
What you say is certainly feasible. So why then doesn't Dish just allow whatever EPG system they are using to be accessible by all their customers regardless of whether they sub to LiLs or not?
That's a lot harder to come up with a technical excuse, IMHO. Probably a chance to make a few extra bucks. But... I'm willing to bet that the majority of subscribers with an HD receiver also have an SD receiver, too. So a lot of people would probably still want to keep the Dish local service for the non-HD receiver(s) in their house.
Still, I imagine Dish has more up-front costs invested in an HD customer than a regular customer, so squeezing an extra $60/year from HD customers would help recoup their investment quicker so Dish can start realizing a proffit sooner.

I have no problem with paying them $60/yr for locals & guide data. I use OTA HD and the SD locals depending on what I'm recording and how many things at once.

BUT I REALLY WANT DATA FOR PBS HD! Not to mention a few stations like my NBC that has WB on substation -2. I hope from what I read here that E* is 'testing' this concept of providing this data that they are being compensated for at $5/mo by many HD subs.

Originally Posted by waltinvt

griz_fan said:
That's a lot harder to come up with a technical excuse, IMHO. Probably a chance to make a few extra bucks. But... I'm willing to bet that the majority of subscribers with an HD receiver also have an SD receiver, too. So a lot of people would probably still want to keep the Dish local service for the non-HD receiver(s) in their house.
Still, I imagine Dish has more up-front costs invested in an HD customer than a regular customer, so squeezing an extra $60/year from HD customers would help recoup their investment quicker so Dish can start realizing a proffit sooner.

Part of my irritation is I would be willing to pay for the LiLs just to be able to get an EPG for my OTA if they'd let me but I (as were many others) was forced to choose between distants & LiLs last year, so we have NO option for getting OTA EPG without the additional of giving up distants we've had for years. In light of Dish's current distants problem though, it's probably a moot point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)