Public servants in theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SWAT Team did nothing wrong. The operation was probably done by the book. The problem was the original intel was bad. SWAT Teams only do things one way, hard and fast. That's for officer safety and tactical advantage.

If you want to argue the Commander on the scene shouldn't have sent them in or the town/city should be doing more to make amends, I can't argue that. But to put a rolleyes smiley after your comment insinuating that the SWAT Team were a bunch of goons who enjoyed trashing an innocent woman's apartment is ignorant and offensive.

She has an excellent case for redress.

Let us assume the warrant was for a person, as described. That allows the police to examine any place a person could reasonably be expected to be hiding. People do not fit into those laundry hampers, or drawers, etc. They exceeded their scope.

If the warrant was broader, it could be challenged as overly broad for an objective of finding a person.

If they were searching for drugs or anything they could use to pin it on her as a valid "bust" - it's inadmissible- they exceeded the scope of the warrant.

You do not just air out a space where tear gas has gone off. She will likely need to replace carpet, linens (might wash out), soft goods. At the very least professional cleaners will need to work over painted surfaces, wallpaper, upholstery, etc. Toss those stuffed animals.

True, you "can't sue the king" but I'm pretty sure every jurisdiction allows for suits in this case. Saying you'll "try to get together some money" is not sufficient. And that officer knew it.

I'm no lawyer, and I'm certainly a friend of law enforcement. But this was excessive, assuming it was presented accurately, and she needs to receive a lot of help from the government controlling the SWAT team.

I can't imagine why she hasn't gotten up with a lawyer already. Unless there's something more to the story.

Cooper I agrea the swat did nothing wrong, its how the department has handled or rather not handled resolving this single mother of two's situation inregards to the damage and toxic contamination of everything within the families home. This police department is acting as if it doesnt have to take responsibility for its actions wether justified or a mistake as in this incident. What happens when a law officer and his peers put themselves above the law and accountability and the citizens that they are supposed to protect and served become the victims?

You do not just air out a space where tear gas has gone off. She will likely need to replace carpet, linens (might wash out), soft goods. At the very least professional cleaners will need to work over painted surfaces, wallpaper, upholstery, etc. Toss those stuffed animals.

I used to work at an apartment complex and there was a raid on a unit for what ever reason, tear gas was used. Afterwards when the tennant was in jail I helped to clean up the place and we had to put an industrial fan in the doorway to push fresh air and wear dust masks and goggles to deal with the tear gas. The residue from this stuff gets everywhere as an extremely fine powder and it clings like its been blown in by tornadoe.

I can't imagine why she hasn't gotten up with a lawyer already. Unless there's something more to the story.
Money, how many single mother of two do you know that can aford a lawyer?

Cooper I agrea the swat did nothing wrong, its how the department has handled or rather not handled resolving this single mother of two's situation inregards to the damage and toxic contamination of everything within the families home. This police department is acting as if it doesnt have to take responsibility for its actions wether justified or a mistake as in this incident. What happens when a law officer and his peers put themselves above the law and accountability and the citizens that they are supposed to protect and served become the victims?

I apologize. I agree the "Department" shouldn't have shirked their obligation to make amends. I tend to be a little rabid in defense of the grunt or officer on the street.

I stand behind police and military given what it is they do and what all they go through but when they start acting like their above the law and the average citizen is nothing more than a peasant thats where I have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)