Puerto Rico "moving" question

prhdwanter

Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Puerto Rico
Hi all, I have read that some people get the HD packages by saying they live in the states. So, if I "move" to the states I should be able to order those higher HD packages right? If I use an address in Oregon will that work or do they use different satellites there which Dish could detect? Does a retailer/installer have to do anything to "activate" my stuff for my fake move or can I just claim that the house already has the dishes installed? Thanks

I dont think u can get all the HD even if u "moved" to states. Remember....HD in PR comes from 110...& some more channels will be uplinked soon from our spots. If u move ur service address to states...IMO..u cant get those spots...plus there r not much HD on 110 anyway. & Dish dont have Eastern arc for us...plus 129 sat also dont reach PR. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong

Puerto Rico will get approximately 30+ HD channels soon, 16 have been already uplinked, but are not available just yet. More to come. So a little patience could be good in this instance. Those HD channels will be coming to sat 110, which have a pretty great signal strength.

The problems with moving are:
1) you will lose PR locals and probably won't be able to get locals at all, since most are in spotbeams. You could subscribe to AAD locals package, but that is really expensive right now. This means no WKAQ, WAPA, WIPR, etc, and also no NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.
2) Most HD (possibly available to us now) is in sat 61.5. So you will need three sats, one for 119, one for 110 and one for 61.5, and this last one needs a six-footer to have a relatively decent signal, with lots of fades and "no signal" periods in some transponders.

I dont think u can get all the HD even if u "moved" to states. Remember....HD in PR comes from 110...& some more channels will be uplinked soon from our spots. If u move ur service address to states...IMO..u cant get those spots...plus there r not much HD on 110 anyway. & Dish dont have Eastern arc for us...plus 129 sat also dont reach PR. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong

Yeah he would get HD from 61.5 if he moves but what donato says is true he will loose his locals and everything else! Rajmarie he will do a virtual move lives in PR but his address is in the states and that why he will loose his locals and can get the 61.5 but that's peanuts now because of the new hd that's coming!:):)

Well I'm part of the group who still has the Full HD Package with a PR address. I'm not saying that he should "move". :D Besides prepare your heart, the cost for a 6 footer is about $500 maybe more plus tax. Also the installation.
I have 2 six footers, but I got them years ago when that was the only way to get Dish in PR, back in 1997 when I got the first one, and the other when they started to use the 110 location. Back them the cost was like $325-$350 because the supplier always bought many of them to get better prices....

Last edited:
Yeah he would get HD from 61.5 if he moves but what donato says is true he will loose his locals and everything else! Rajmarie he will do a virtual move lives in PR but his address is in the states and that why he will loose his locals and can get the 61.5 but that's peanuts now because of the new hd that's coming!:):)

But isnt 61.5 is part of Eastern Arc setup.....& EA is not for PR.

But as mentioned...soon PR will have more HD channels. Not the same count as in states....but much much more then any other provider in PR....& on spots...which mean no loss of signal even in rain

Thank you for your replies. I forgot to mention that I currently have two 4 foot dishes pointed to 110 and 119 and I'm getting a 6 foot dish installed this week which will be pointed at 61.5. So you are saying if I "move" I will lose my Puerto Rico locals...but couldn't I order the HD locals for my new virtual address? Regardless I will still wait a few months since I recently got service here in PR so I will see what HD channels they add.

Thank you for your replies. I forgot to mention that I currently have two 4 foot dishes pointed to 110 and 119 and I'm getting a 6 foot dish installed this week which will be pointed at 61.5. So you are saying if I "move" I will lose my Puerto Rico locals...but couldn't I order the HD locals for my new virtual address? Regardless I will still wait a few months since I recently got service here in PR so I will see what HD channels they add.

If your new address locals are on spotbeams (beaming directly and exclusively over the geographical area they are supposed to serve, which is the way most are configured right now), you won't receive their signal here. Sorry.

But isnt 61.5 is part of Eastern Arc setup.....& EA is not for PR.

But as mentioned...soon PR will have more HD channels. Not the same count as in states....but much much more then any other provider in PR....& on spots...which mean no loss of signal even in rain

Yeah but Rajmarie for Dish he will not be living here in Puerto Rico he will be living in New York!

Look in last week uplink and you will see the First 16 HD we will get!

Look in last week uplink and you will see the First 16 HD we will get!

It is a good start. I only have like 90.:( All the programming I watch is on HD. But again it is a good start, I just hope that the NFL Network HD will be a the second wave of channels. Thursday night Football in HD for my brother, father and a bunch of friends who weren't able to get the Full Hd Package.

I will never understand Dish policies and procedures as I will never understand women. If I want to give or throw away $30 worth of HD channels every month why Dish don't activate the freakin'package? Why? Those who are able to get that package already made a huge investment. I know that the problem started when people/dealer'/installers without experience or knowledge started calling Dish like madmen, asking for the package without the proper equipment, then calling back piss-off asking for refunds. If Dish let certified installers handle this kind of activations there will be no problem. The customer will know in advance the conditions for the activation, and that's it. But that's just me.

I pay Dish almost $130 a month. And I'll continue until there's a better option.

It is a good start. I only have like 90.:( All the programming I watch is on HD. But again it is a good start, I just hope that the NFL Network HD will be a the second wave of channels. Thursday night Football in HD for my brother, father and a bunch of friends who weren't able to get the Full Hd Package.

I will never understand Dish policies and procedures as I will never understand women. If I want to give or throw away $30 worth of HD channels every month why Dish don't activate the freakin'package? Why? Those who are able to get that package already made a huge investment. I know that the problem started when people/dealer'/installers without experience or knowledge started calling Dish like madmen, asking for the package without the proper equipment, then calling back piss-off asking for refunds. If Dish let certified installers handle this kind of activations there will be no problem. The customer will know in advance the conditions for the activation, and that's it. But that's just me.

I pay Dish almost $130 a month. And I'll continue until there's a better option.

Yeah TomP I want real bad NFL Network!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts