Pulled the Plug

It would probably devalue their programming and couldn't get as much out of retrans fees.
The Pres of HBO recently intimated that it is as real possibility. There is a link floating around here somewhere.

Can you see if you can find anything?(doesn't have to be the one here, just something from him. That I can read?)

$200 for how many months of usefulness and with what limitations? If they support VOD and/or content download that's a different story.

I have three used Tivo's w/lifetime. A Series 2 activated in 2003 (paid $50), a Tivo HD (paid $200) activated in 2010 and a Premiere (paid $150) activated in 2011. Chances are they'll last quite some time. And what do you mean by limitations? If it's used for ota recording, there are no copy restrictions. And everything after the Series 2 have Netflix, Hulu +, MLB.TV, Youtube with a few other minor apps and allow you to download Amazon rentals and purchases. It's not a Roku player or Apple TV, but it is a damn fine dvr. I currently have four Tivo's, 3 for Comcast and 1 for OTA broadcasts, and they are very dependable. You can even offload and watch recordings on a pc using Tivo Desktop software.

Reactions: Mr Tony
And everything after the Series 2 have Netflix, Hulu +, MLB.TV, Youtube with a few other minor apps and allow you to download Amazon rentals and purchases.
The cheap ones seem to be the Series 2 and earlier. We know that most don't leave the TiVo fold by choice.

Congratulations HDRoberts! One wonders what your wife will expect/want out of TV... My wife drives me crazy with a stupid Dr Phil show on the Oprah Winfrey Network. Gag.

The good thing is she does not even have pay tv. Just a DVD player and her collection of the X-Files and Columbo. Though I've well worked her into Star Trek and Doctor Who

Reactions: TheKrell
looked into this a little more. we already have free cable in our area. it is really cruddy, but as such, we have a few tivos with lifetime connected to it for the kids. HD is on the main tvs (722 + 211k).

we have twc for internet. looked at their package that includes "preferred tv"- this has more channels than top120. it includes many HD channels with use of a set-top box. they confirmed our tivos will work, but we need the cards (as expected).

The bundle package is $20 more than we currently pay for internet alone. they offer the sports pass, which includes redzone, for $9 more. as much as it sounds like a terrible idea, this is the route we will most likely go.

$80/mo for satellite seems excessive considering the amount of channels we watch. that is about as much as we will pay for internet + tv.....

looked into this a little more. we already have free cable in our area. it is really cruddy, but as such, we have a few tivos with lifetime connected to it for the kids. HD is on the main tvs (722 + 211k).

we have twc for internet. looked at their package that includes "preferred tv"- this has more channels than top120. it includes many HD channels with use of a set-top box. they confirmed our tivos will work, but we need the cards (as expected).

The bundle package is $20 more than we currently pay for internet alone. they offer the sports pass, which includes redzone, for $9 more. as much as it sounds like a terrible idea, this is the route we will most likely go.

$80/mo for satellite seems excessive considering the amount of channels we watch. that is about as much as we will pay for internet + tv.....

If you have your own equipment, satellite providers can't compete with the bundled pricing from the cabelcos. I'm saving around $50 per month with a Comcast Triple Play (and getting a lot more than when I had AT200 w/BB@H) compared to having Dish for TV, an ISP for internet and a VOIP provider for phone. Comcast actually gives me $5 credit for my two cable cards (my plan already includes a HD STB at no extra charge). The extra fees for satellite/cable company equipment really adds up. And with the satellite providers not offering anything like cable cards or credit/no extra fee for owned equipment, it's an expense you can't avoid with them.

Reactions: stardust3
And with the satellite providers not offering anything like cable cards or credit/no extra fee for owned equipment, it's an expense you can't avoid with them.
If the gov't (FCC) didn't have the rule in place for cable companies, then cable companies wouldn't be offering cheap cable card options either. Make the playing field the same for cable and satellite, either force them all to provide the option, or none at all.

Yeah after my contract with Dish is up I'm trying cable, they offer HBO free for the 2 yr contract. I love the Hooper system but the bugs are getting way out of hand and there no fixes in sight.

If the gov't (FCC) didn't have the rule in place for cable companies, then cable companies wouldn't be offering cheap cable card options either.
And so what? As long as you can get equipment deals from cablecos, why not take advantage of them? The satellite providers should be more competitive and offer some kind of deal. While it is within their rights, Dish is being an ass by charging people the same fee (with a different name of course) for owned equipment as they do for leased equipment.
Make the playing field the same for cable and satellite, either force them all to provide the option, or none at all.
I know you don't work for a satellite provider, so why do you want to get rid of one of the few pro-consumer rules that cable customers have? Dish/DirecTV could actually not be asses about it and not charge an access fee for customer owned equipment. Nobody is forcing them to charge these fees.

Reactions: dishrich
If you have your own equipment, satellite providers can't compete with the bundled pricing from the cabelcos. I'm saving around $50 per month with a Comcast Triple Play (and getting a lot more than when I had AT200 w/BB@H) compared to having Dish for TV, an ISP for internet and a VOIP provider for phone. Comcast actually gives me $5 credit for my two cable cards (my plan already includes a HD STB at no extra charge). The extra fees for satellite/cable company equipment really adds up. And with the satellite providers not offering anything like cable cards or credit/no extra fee for owned equipment, it's an expense you can't avoid with them.

yep. after dropping sprint and saving $150/mo, we started looking at other stuff. we have always owned and supported our own equipment, and dish offers no incentive for this.

And so what? As long as you can get equipment deals from cablecos, why not take advantage of them? The satellite providers should be more competitive and offer some kind of deal. While it is within their rights, Dish is being an ass by charging people the same fee (with a different name of course) for owned equipment as they do for leased equipment.

Agreed!

While we like dish, their price has really gone up in the past few years. TWC has made major improvements in their HD and the TivoHD is a nice box. we may regret it, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not begrudging anyone wanting to take advantage of the situation, nor am I advocating taking away the option. I was just pointing out how the antiquated law has created an imbalance in that arena, and that if the law wasn't there, you can bet there wouldn't be a low-fee option. I would love to be able to use a Tivo or an HDHomerun with my satellite service with lower fees.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm not begrudging anyone wanting to take advantage of the situation, nor am I advocating taking away the option. I was just pointing out how the antiquated law has created an imbalance in that arena, and that if the law wasn't there, you can bet there wouldn't be a low-fee option.

I totally agree with you that if it wasn't for the law, then the option wouldn't exist. But as far as there being an imbalance, well that's because the satellite providers choose to make it so. In Great Britain Windows Media Center works with satellite. There is no reason Dish/DirecTV couldn't do the same thing here with WMC/Tivo.

I just don't watch TV much anymore nothing is interesting to me, And if I do find a show that interest me, I'll rather wait and watch it on Netflix or Amazon, even on Hulu with those commercials, but it isn't nearly as bad than watching there over the top commercials on TV on the networks, If it's movies than I just find it through torrents, Though I don't do that very often

Then there's also Youtube where I could watch a few shows and movies. Cable and Satellite to me is so yesterday, Yet here I am because no one but me want their TV shows taken away, even if I tried to explain how it save some money, then maybe return back in the future.

I totally agree with you that if it wasn't for the law, then the option wouldn't exist. But as far as there being an imbalance, well that's because the satellite providers choose to make it so. In Great Britain Windows Media Center works with satellite. There is no reason Dish/DirecTV couldn't do the same thing here with WMC/Tivo.
They can thank the EU's version of the Supreme Court for that. They have had a hard on for like the past decade going after Microsoft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)