Punch.....Counterpunch

pulltab

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2004
San Diego
With the announcement of D* bringing on the new HD channels, I wonder how Charlie and the folks will react....

D* still has to add about 80 or so HD channels to make it to the magic "100" target by the end of the year......of course we will all be watching how E* "reciprocates"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Check our team summit coverage. The answers are there.

Dish is no laying down and letting DirecTV walk all over them, they are just keeping quiet with their plans and are not advertising them publiclly like DirecTV is doing.

I really DO hope that DirecTV has 100 HD channels by the end of the year because Dish will need to strike back, and of course this means MORE HD FOR ALL OF US! :)

Yes, this is good news for us E* subscribers...there are some great channels being added. I don't expect Dish to remain silent for long--competition for subs is fierce. I hope we get these channels (and more!) sooner rather than later...

If im correct D is adding RSN's and calling that the additional 100 hd channels right? if so then thats going to appeal to really only most of its customers and those who are sports junkies but not people like myself who want something actually worth watching like anything thats not sports.

I don't like hearing that some of the new HD channels will be D* exclusives.
I believe the D* is claiming that the new channels will debut exclusively on D* but not that they will remain exclusive to D*.

As far as I know only a couple have been named exclusive and I doubt itll be too long of a time. I imagine by the end of the year D* will have a few HD channels that E* does not once their capacity is full. By the time the new sats are up in early 2008, E* will prob have rights to the channels.

As stated in the yesterdays pissing match, once E* subs start getting down about D* having a slight lead, we'll have more capacity again and then it wont matter.

I believe the D* is claiming that the new channels will debut exclusively on D* but not that they will remain exclusive to D*.

Unless D* has some kind of exclusivity contract with the programming provider, D* should not be allowed to advertise this. Who's to say that E* couldn't add them before D* and automatically render D*'s advertising false (which is illegal). If an exclusivity contract is in place, it's likely for a minimum of a year (from launch) which would mean that E* couldn't entertain the idea of adding it until the contract with D* expires.

Of course, once E* decides they would like to add an HD channel, if there is an SD counterpart, it's likely that E* will wait until the SD channel contract gets negotiated and the new contract will be created for carrying both the SD and HD versions. From what I've seen, E* always waits until the SD channel is renegotiated to include the HD version.

yet another false advertising alarm:haha
I would imagine that they are in fact "contracted" to debut the channel. Don't get your panties in a bunch worrying about D*s advertising. I am a D* fanboy yet I have no doubt whatsoever that the newly signed HD channels that D* will get up in the fall will only be a good sign for the E* boys too. You sound like my 6 year old..."But Billy said..........."can't everyone just be happy that the HD season is coming? I didn't get all crazy when E* got their Voom, I was like cool, good for them! I just don't get it....

Yes, this is good news for us E* subscribers...there are some great channels being added. I don't expect Dish to remain silent for long--competition for subs is fierce. I hope we get these channels (and more!) sooner rather than later...

The problem is E* is staying silent. I don't think existing customers care much about the advertising, they'll wait and see what really happens. But, I think E* is losing potential new subscribers by remaining silent. I mean if you were regular Joe on street and knew (or cared) little or nothing about satellite service in general, who would you go with? The one that's heavily advertising HD and promising 100 channels by year's end or the one that's remaining quiet on the subject.

Unless D* has some kind of exclusivity contract with the programming provider, D* should not be allowed to advertise this. Who's to say that E* couldn't add them before D* and automatically render D*'s advertising false (which is illegal). If an exclusivity contract is in place, it's likely for a minimum of a year (from launch) which would mean that E* couldn't entertain the idea of adding it until the contract with D* expires.

Of course, once E* decides they would like to add an HD channel, if there is an SD counterpart, it's likely that E* will wait until the SD channel contract gets negotiated and the new contract will be created for carrying both the SD and HD versions. From what I've seen, E* always waits until the SD channel is renegotiated to include the HD version.
History Channel HD is supposed to debut on D* http://www.tvpredictions.com/history050707.htm
The article also says " No word on whether any other cable or satellite provider will carry the high-def History Channel at launch."
From another article: http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvlist050807.htm
"Here's a list of the HD networks that DIRECTV has revealed thus far that it plans to add this year or early next:

A&E HD
The History Channel HD
National Geographic HD
Bravo HD
MHD
The Tennis Channel HD
Weather Channel HD
Chiller HD
Sleuth HD
ESPNews HD
Toon Disney HD
Disney Channel HD
ABC Family HD
Sci-Fi Channel HD
CNN HD
Food Network HD
HGTV HD
Cartoon Network HD
Speed HD
FX HD
TBS HD
USA Network HD
The NFL Network HD
Starz HD (possibly four channels)
Cinemax HD"

Notice that most of these channels don't exist yet. It will be hard to reach 100 channels exclusive or otherwise if they are not broadcasting by 12/31/07.
BTW these only add up to 28 new channels.

SCott was told by the Hist Channel guys that it would debut on D* but be on E* shortly after. Chiller will be exclusive to D* in the beginning also. Dunno if E* has plans to add it.

History Channel HD is supposed to debut on D* http://www.tvpredictions.com/history050707.htm
The article also says " No word on whether any other cable or satellite provider will carry the high-def History Channel at launch."
From another article: http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvlist050807.htm
"Here's a list of the HD networks that DIRECTV has revealed thus far that it plans to add this year or early next:

A&E HD
The History Channel HD
National Geographic HD
Bravo HD
MHD
The Tennis Channel HD
Weather Channel HD
Chiller HD
Sleuth HD
ESPNews HD
Toon Disney HD
Disney Channel HD
ABC Family HD
Sci-Fi Channel HD
CNN HD
Food Network HD
HGTV HD
Cartoon Network HD
Speed HD
FX HD
TBS HD
USA Network HD
The NFL Network HD
Starz HD (possibly four channels)
Cinemax HD"

Notice that most of these channels don't exist yet. It will be hard to reach 100 channels exclusive or otherwise if they are not broadcasting by 12/31/07.
BTW these only add up to 28 new channels.

Great,

That means Dish will need to add a bunch of HD channels as well, but I can't help but notice that 7 Channels on that List are ALREADY available on Dish Network.

Already on Dish

Cinemax HD
Starz HD
A&E HD
Food HD
HGTV HD
NFL Network HD
National Geopgraphic HD

I really don't understand why DirecTV is rushing Weather Channel HD, because even though they will be broadcasting an HD signal, NO content will be in HD for at least 6 months AFTER they go live with an HD signal.

John

yet another false advertising alarm:haha
I would imagine that they are in fact "contracted" to debut the channel. Don't get your panties in a bunch worrying about D*s advertising. I am a D* fanboy yet I have no doubt whatsoever that the newly signed HD channels that D* will get up in the fall will only be a good sign for the E* boys too. You sound like my 6 year old..."But Billy said..........."can't everyone just be happy that the HD season is coming? I didn't get all crazy when E* got their Voom, I was like cool, good for them! I just don't get it....

AMEN

Why cant we all get along.

Look Van ya dont like sports and thats ok. I can respect that. So you chose the provider that works best for you. Ease up on the judgement of others.

Be strong E* peeps its only a matter of time until E* has the same channels as D* and vice versa (except Voom we dont want em! :p :p )

Seriously, though in the next couple years both D* and E* will be going through changes in trying to deliver all the HD they can.

Im sure E* is negotiating with RSN's and the same channels D* has. Hold on for a while. You will see both E* and D* will deliver.

"...I really don't understand why DirecTV is rushing Weather Channel HD, because even though they will be broadcasting an HD signal, NO content will be in HD for at least 6 months AFTER they go live with an HD signal...."

I thought that was shot down and they are in fact going to be real HD from day one, at least in part? Haven't they been shooting in HD for some time now?

AMEN

Why cant we all get along.

Look Van ya dont like sports and thats ok. I can respect that. So you chose the provider that works best for you. Ease up on the judgement of others.

Be strong E* peeps its only a matter of time until E* has the same channels as D* and vice versa (except Voom we dont want em! :p :p )

Seriously, though in the next couple years both D* and E* will be going through changes in trying to deliver all the HD they can.

Im sure E* is negotiating with RSN's and the same channels D* has. Hold on for a while. You will see both E* and D* will deliver.

At least as Satellite people we can all agree that whether your a D* guys or a E* guy we both will still have more HD then Crapcast.

Corey

It's not that we can't get along. I couldn't care less what D* does. I just don't like ANY company that uses false advertising. Just bad business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)