Purchase Dish Equipment instead of leasing equipment.

The first Hopper has no receiver/lease fee. Each additional receiver is really an outlet fee - a fee to access programming on additional receivers. Therefore you pay that fee no matter if you own or don't own the additional receivers.

The way to avoid a fee is to use the DISH Anywhere app on a TV where you need an additional receiver. As an example using a Fire Stick you can watch your program on any TV, you can move the stick or have additional sticks for other TV's - BUT you can only stream to one TV at a time.
It works best in a room not used all the time as it is not as convenient as a Joey, but it does work if you do not want to pay the additional receiver fee.
I thought there was a $15 fee for the Hopper?

Just installed Dish at a new home and do not want to lease a Joey from Dish (actually don't want to lease Hopper either). I know I will have to pay a monthly subscription to use services, but is there a way to purchase a Joey 3 (or even Hopper 3) that would make things cheaper for me? Dish tells me they don't sell equipment...only lease it.

I own my vip211k and all of the equipment. I enjoy owning as I do not lease. It just me. There is no financial in owning, but if you own, you are legally able to do your own work and do not have to deal with installers. Otherwise there is little advantage. Like if I want to add a wing dish or switch over to a different dish, I can, since I would just buy a different one. I have done that as I had a wing dish to the 148, and then one to 61.5. Dish Depot carries Dish receivers & dishes. But unless you like to do your own work, you might as well lease. The vip211k is an older receiver. with an OTA tuner, making it dual tuner, and I added an outboard HDD, so I have the DVR function. No fees on that and it works fine for a older single guy. I only pay for programming, but it isn't for everyone. One advantage with leasing, Dish will upgrade your receiver when the time comes.

Reactions: Tampa8
I own my vip211k and all of the equipment. I enjoy owning as I do not lease. It just me. There is no financial in owning, but if you own, you are legally able to do your own work and do not have to deal with installers. Otherwise there is little advantage. Like if I want to add a wing dish or switch over to a different dish, I can, since I would just buy a different one. I have done that as I had a wing dish to the 148, and then one to 61.5. Dish Depot carries Dish receivers & dishes. But unless you like to do your own work, you might as well lease. The vip211k is an older receiver. with an OTA tuner, making it dual tuner, and I added an outboard HDD, so I have the DVR function. No fees on that and it works fine for a older single guy. I only pay for programming, but it isn't for everyone. One advantage with leasing, Dish will upgrade your receiver when the time comes.

Would you like to buy a couple more VIP211K's for backup? One of them is almost brand new. :bluesbros

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here. I don't own a Fire TV, but both of my TV's have Dish Anywhere app installed and operating. Both are Sony TV's, one has a Firestick and the other is an Android TV.
A SmartTV is by most definitions not considered a "connected device," although they function like one, but often SmartTV's with built-in capabilities are not counted along with those little pucks or cubes that must make a physical connection to the TV to be viewed when guaging "connected device" sales, etc. The Firestick is under all definitions a "connected device." I did not know about the Android TV, presuming it is the "connected divice" Android TV product.

I probably should have used a different term that easily includes things like SmartTV's such as just "devices." The problem is that there really is no truly agreed upon definition for "connected devices." Instead there are LOTS of "could mean" definitions. It is just that the Smart TV's have been so bad until recently with Sony having switched to Android TV on its later models, I think, that I just don't think of Smart TV's as anything but dissappointing and never supporting changing API's. Even Smart TV's running Android TV with its obvious advantage won't see the end of true connected devices because often people UPGRADE to faster, better processor, prefer to run video throuhg external processor such as an AVR, etc. (eliminates a host of sins the built-in Smart TV settings or apps alone can't eliminate; I personally can't stand the PQ from my Smart TV's Apps, but find the FireTV via my Qdeo absolutely worth it). Anyway thanks for the info on the Android TV.