Purchased a home, one cable jack, 4 satellites coming...what do I do?

blane

Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I must preface this by stating I am fairly unfamiliar with dish television and need any assistance you guys could give. I recently purchased a new home and gain possession on Monday. In the meantime, I ordered dish network including 4 receivers, two being DVRs. It was made evident to me yesterday that the only cable receptacle in the entire house is in the great room. Due to my work schedule, I doubt I will have time to run new lines before the installer arrives Thursday. What will the do? Do they run new lines or will they just leave the receivers and tell me to do the rest?? Thanks and I apologize for my unfamiliarity with the dish subject.

They should run all the lines for you but it seems from what you said they will have to bring them up through the floor from the basement if you have one or crawl space. The recievers will take one line each unless they are dual tuners then will need two lines. There should not be a problem for them to run everything required for your install.

It's the installer's job to run all the wire.

It's YOUR job to make sure that he doesn't screw it up.

Main info you need is that satellite is NOT cable - EVERY location that gets a box will need at least one dedicated coax feed cable. No "sharing" allowed. That means holes through the wall and/or wall fishes - which you would have to pay extra for.

That being said, depending on your setup, the other end of said cables might go directly to the dish, or to a switch somewhere distant from the dish itself.

Why did you request four receivers. The dealer should have suggested 2 522 twin receivers. You would save $10/month if you hook up each receiver to a phone line.

fred

Fredinva said:
Why did you request four receivers. The dealer should have suggested 2 522 twin receivers. You would save $10/month if you hook up each receiver to a phone line.

fred
Two 522's is NOT an option. Maximum is one 522 on DHA for some stupid E* reason.

But note that he did NOT specify how many boxes he's getting ARE dual-tuner.

And diffently make sure that they do not screw anything up. Also tell them how you want the dish mounted. If you ordered it directly from Dish, and it's a Superdish, they are supposed to pole mount it, although some will try to mount it on your roof. Roof mounting is OK, but that is up to you, not them.

Costs

bcope9 said:
And diffently make sure that they do not screw anything up. Also tell them how you want the dish mounted. If you ordered it directly from Dish, and it's a Superdish, they are supposed to pole mount it, although some will try to mount it on your roof. Roof mounting is OK, but that is up to you, not them.
<p>
We charge extra to pole mount superdishes ($75.00 min), I have never mounted a super dish to a house & won't accept any responsibilty for what happens if the Customer requests a house mount. Could You see what might happen to a trailer with 2X2 studs with one of those monsters on it with a heavy wind? Plus the fact that Dish only pays a mere $15 extra for superdish, I avoid installing them altoghther if I can.

KyInstaller said:
<p>
We charge extra to pole mount superdishes ($75.00 min), I have never mounted a super dish to a house & won't accept any responsibilty for what happens if the Customer requests a house mount. Could You see what might happen to a trailer with 2X2 studs with one of those monsters on it with a heavy wind? Plus the fact that Dish only pays a mere $15 extra for superdish, I avoid installing them altoghther if I can.
Except for trailers, I prefer a wall mount. I always use a tri-mast.

Note that I'm referring to DirecWay installs here. Same size dish, but heavier arm due to the transmitter. IMO, all SuperDish wall/roof installs should be done with a tri-mast.

SimpleSimon said:
Except for trailers, I prefer a wall mount. I always use a tri-mast.

Note that I'm referring to DirecWay installs here. Same size dish, but heavier arm due to the transmitter. IMO, all SuperDish wall/roof installs should be done with a tri-mast.

Agreed. Using the additional support rods for the SuperDISH helps in stabilizing them on the surface of the installation. Our company does roof SuperDISH installs at where the trusses and the corners of the roof are. We avoid pole mounts and weak-roof mounts as both can sway from high winds. Best places to mount so far are on decks. Wood holds the dish steady a lot better than concrete and dirt. ;)

I would like to thank you guys for all the responses. This site has assisted me tremendously!! My knowledge about dish network has expanded 10-fold over the past couple of days and it is due to you guys!! Thanks and hopefully I will be able to assist a customer in my shoes someday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)