Putting old rev HD back into Dishplayer 7200?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

video62

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
I have a Dishplayer 7200 hard drive that has not been in action for about a year. I'd like to put it back into the Dishplayer and grab some of the stuff off of it, but I don't want the DP to get all freaked out about how old the software is.

Does it sound like a good plan to simply disconnect the satellite cable while I am running this drive? I would think the DP software would startup and complain about no signal, but still let me play shows that were stored on the drive.

Background: A while back I added a removable drive bay to my Dishplayer... the original goal was to take the HD out and put it into another PC and run DishRip program to grab the stored programs off of the HD onto the PC then, in turn, burn SVCD copies of programs that I wanted to keep a backup copy.

Well, messing with making discs got to be a chore that way and I just shelved the idea but now I've got a Panasonic DVD Recorder and I've been burning DVD-Rs as personal backups of Dishplayer-stored shows with great success.

Thanks!

As long as the CLIENT software isn't too old you won't have a problem. Every so often when dish changes the RECEIVER software it no longer with work with older CLIENT software. The receiver software is stored on NRAM and the CLIENT software is stored on the hard drive.

I would do what you posted, that is, leave the satellite in cable disconnected and connect power and see if you can play back your recordings. You will know right away if the receiver and client software don't get along with each other.

How do you like your Panasonic DVD recorder? I have been looking at them (the DMR-E50 or the DMR-E80H with the 80 GB hard drive) but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Bill R said:
How do you like your Panasonic DVD recorder? I have been looking at them (the DMR-E50 or the DMR-E80H with the 80 GB hard drive) but I haven't taken the plunge yet.
So far I'm happy with my DMR-E80H, aka the 'E80'. Been getting a lot of good E80 info at this forum... there are comparisons/discussions about other models and brands there too.

The cheat sheet topic was/is very helpful, as is this very wordy 'review' (but lotsa pix) at another site. The E80 manual is OK as a reference, but isn't particularly well written - the above links are quite helpful to getting started.

Maybe I should have got the E100... it has faster burner, firewire input, larger HD and memory-stick reader. Don't really need any of those but a 4X burn would be nice. My E80 burns a 2-hour SP recorded program at 1X in 50 minutes using the 'high speed dub'. On the E100 the same burn takes about 15 minutes!

Video62, thanks. That is why I have been holding off. There seems to be a new model every month that has more features and burns the DVDs faster. Media prices as still too high but they have been dropping quite a bit recently .

If you have any problems getting your old drive to work post the problem you are having on this forum and we might be able to offer some suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)