Puzzled: HDMI worse than Component?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blocker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
I compared HDMI and component connections from vip 211 to my LG lcd tv. It's so obvious that component connections provide richer gray/black levels and more vibrant colors. Does this occur to other people at all?

When I tried to calibrate the tv with DVE using a Toshiba upconverting DVD player, the blacker-than-black (BTB) was only visible via component connections. No maater what I do, BTB couldn't be seen via HDMI.

Some people told me that maybe the source (dvd player) clips the content when using HDMI, but if so vip 211 would be doing the same. I don't think this is the case. Instead, I belive the problem is either with the tv, or it's an endemic problem with HDMI.

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate your sharing of experience and such.

HDMI blows. I have the same issues with my plasma. I can calibrate the grayscale with component and am not able to with HDMI. plus component appears to have more depth in the picture and richer color.

Everyone's eyes are different but this is what I see so I use component.

I'm so glad that I'm not alone! Now I feel assured, and will stick to component.

Thanks guys!

I switched back and forth between HDMI and component on my Panasonic 42" plasma last night during the NCAA final four basketball games. The component quality was clearly better. The color was deeper and more natural. I hadn't noticed such a stark difference before.

I can definately see a difference between the dvi and the component connection on my Toshiba rear projection 57" hdtv. The dvi looks better to me than the component. The colors look sharper to me with the dvi and I see practically no artifacts with the dvi . Maybe it depends on the tv you are using in regards to what looks better.

Yes some TVs look worse on HDMI/DVi have seen this on several brands. Its hit or miss, you just need to try both and decide.

My 2 Plasmas and 1 LCD look excellent using HDMI w/ the H20 and my upconverted LG DVD player. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)