PVC Transverse Primestar Mounts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MTHans

Original poster
May 15, 2004
An alternative method of resurrecting an old Primestar antenna sans pole and mount. Also requires no drilling thru roof or fascia. Constructed of 1" Schedule 40 PVC pipe filled with sand. Antenna attached to PVC with metal pipe hangers and completely adjustable for skew. 4-point attachment, very low profile provides very little wind loading and outstanding signal quality. Check out a variety of pics...
http://community.webshots.com/user/cactusantfarm

Cj

Attachments

• Cactus's Ant Farm 015.jpg
    Cactus's Ant Farm 015.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 239
Most may think we're crazy, but to me this is just about the coolest thing I've seen. When mounting a dish upside down the way these are, would you use the same elevation? For instance would 41 or say 45 still be set at 41 or 45?

dcbag said:
Most may think we're crazy, but to me this is just about the coolest thing I've seen. When mounting a dish upside down the way these are, would you use the same elevation? For instance would 41 or say 45 still be set at 41 or 45?

The angle of the elevation would be 90 minus x minus y, measured with the upward tilt of the lnb arm; x being the elevation angle specified for the particular place in the footprint and y being the angle of "built-in" lnb arm offset for the particular dish (which is 21-23 degrees depending on the manufacturers design).

Yeah, this is a great idea. Redesigning and manuafacturing a mount and elevation protractor would lead to a low profile installation for a more descrete installation. Using a correctly designed mount, it could be used for a SuperDish, a Dish500 or a Phase III DirecTV dish.

The idea is not new, since the worlds largest radio telescope at Aricebo in Puerto Rico uses a similar technique. It just hasn't perviously been applied to an offset dbs dish.

So if this works the way it seems, one could avoid problems with trees or a hillside with this type mounting, or am I thinking back-wards? But you have totally loss me on the math for the elevation. I am currently using a prime-star dish for Directv's 101. Would like to try this approach for that.

dcbag said:
So if this works the way it seems, one could avoid problems with trees or a hillside with this type mounting, or am I thinking back-wards? But you have totally loss me on the math for the elevation. I am currently using a prime-star dish for Directv's 101. Would like to try this approach for that.

Bore sight remains the same. The math explantion lost me too.

This must be the coolest thing I have seen on satelliteguys.us AMAZING engineering!

LOL, yeah i wouldnt want to go shovel the 2 feet of snow off every week. Also ice would build up on that too. Other thing, if you cant figure out 90-x, dont try to set this up. duh. x is the 41 or 45, so 90-x would be 49 or 45.

Thanks for the comments guys. It means something coming from this forum! As for problems with snow, that would definately be a drawback I'm afraid. Though I live at 4800' elevation, I can count the times snow has lasted past 10AM over the last 20 years on one finger. They do shed rainwater well, and of course there is little if any rain fade with an antenna this size. Boresighting is actually easier than a standard mount. I don't own a satfinder, but I can adjust my Lensatic Compass and set it atop the lnbf for azimuth, then just raise or lower the elevation till I find the signal. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I had 3 Primestars tweaked in less than 15 minutes. I think a setup like this would be cool to toss in an RV. I've noticed a renewed interest in the older, larger antennas, and thought it would be an alternative for people having to pay postage on heavy mounts and outriggers etc., without sacrificing stability. I also think the PVC could be filled with cement or even H2O. And, well, er, I am an engineer...on the Union Pacific RR. If this project had involved serious mathmatics, it wouldn't have happened, fer sure. Anyway, they do work, and work great, and if I could do it, anybody on this forum could probably do it better. Thanx guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)