QPSK receivers will go dark Feb. 10

The thing is whenever dish tries to retire older equipment there is a percentage of customers who ignore all efforts.

Some of them are just happy with what they got and don't want to be bothered, others have a grey market system and can't have a tech come out for an upgrade.

The proper way to do it is just to start taking away channels such as the HBO package, sports etc, so there is not an influx of people calling all on the same day.

The thing is whenever dish tries to retire older equipment there is a percentage of customers who ignore all efforts.

Some of them are just happy with what they got and don't want to be bothered, others have a grey market system and can't have a tech come out for an upgrade.

The proper way to do it is just to start taking away channels such as the HBO package, sports etc, so there is not an influx of people calling all on the same day.
I am reminded of the old 2 party telephone service in Los Angeles. When it was going away 1/2 of the those subs needed to have their telephones rewired. This was done without cost to the customer. Some customers held out until they were told that their service would stop. We had one customer who didn't care. We had many trips out to the house to ask for entry to rewire. They were all denied. Finally, I was sent out to disconnect their service drop to temporarily stop their service. The next day a trouble report came in for no dial tone. I went out to the house, opened the phone, rewired it, went up the telephone pole and hooked the service drop back up. Customer was happy to get dial tone back. That was that last party line in LA....

I am reminded of the old 2 party telephone service in Los Angeles. When it was going away 1/2 of the those subs needed to have their telephones rewired. This was done without cost to the customer. Some customers held out until they were told that their service would stop. We had one customer who didn't care. We had many trips out to the house to ask for entry to rewire. They were all denied. Finally, I was sent out to disconnect their service drop to temporarily stop their service. The next day a trouble report came in for no dial tone. I went out to the house, opened the phone, rewired it, went up the telephone pole and hooked the service drop back up. Customer was happy to get dial tone back. That was that last party line in LA....

Was that a simple reverse ring and tip?

Reactions: navychop
Was that a simple reverse ring and tip?
Yes, it was.... for the uninitiated :), ringing current went from one of the two wires to ground for 1st party and from the other wire to ground for the 2nd party. That way your phone only rang when someone was calling you. The other phone on the 2 party line didn't ring.

But if you picked up your phone, you heard everything.
Kind of like the 46-49 MHz cordless phones back in the 80's and 90's. You could get a lot of good entertainment on a scanner back in those days. Also, back in the day, the 800 MHz AMPS cellular phones back before everything went digital.

Yes, it was.... for the uninitiated :), ringing current went from one of the two wires to ground for 1st party and from the other wire to ground for the 2nd party. That way your phone only rang when someone was calling you. The other phone on the 2 party line didn't ring.

Couldn't you just go on the pole or central office and reverse the ring and tip from there?

I remember the screw terminal setting on some of the older style phones.

Couldn't you just go on the pole or central office and reverse the ring and tip from there?

I remember the screw terminal setting on some of the older style phones.
The tip side phones were wired differently than the ring side phones. It was the ringers that were wired differently. And no, you never, ever, wired anything backward. Ring, Red, Ridge, Right was the credo, always.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)