Question about install

DR2242

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
Michigan
Hello! I have a question that hopefully someone here will be able to help me out with. I have a new service installation set for Friday with 1 Hopper 3 and 3 Joey 3. My question is this: Will the installer install my own outdoor antenna that I purchased for the local channels? Right now, DISH is in a contract dispute with my local Fox channel and have been since April. I would prefer just getting an antenna installed that way I can just remove the local channel charge of $12 per month. I just wasn't sure with it being a new install for TV if they would also install an antenna for me. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get it installed and then have someone come back a second time to install the antenna.

Also, do you think I will notice a picture quality difference compared to the DIRECTV I have now? I've seen some say it's quite a noticeable difference while others say it's about the same. DIRECTV is just having too many bugs going on right now, particularly with pixelation.

I appreciate any info on this!

Reactions: pattykay
Depends who you ordered it from.

I suggest you cancel your order and look up a local retailer. Explain the situation with the antenna and they will likely install it for free just to have your business.

If you ordered through Dish directly, or on the internet it will be either a Dish Installer or a sub contractor. They will do exactly what is on the work order. Nothing more!

A matter, i was a National Sales partner for Dish for several years. We learned through experience to promise nothing extra above and beyond the standard install because they won’t do it.

If you want a mirror, an additional Tv or anything additional it needs to be on the work order and paid for before the installer shows up.

Some techs won’t even let you modify the order once they arrive at your home. They make you cancel the whole order, and schedule another tech to come back out.

Bottom line, cancel your order and go through a local dealer. The local dealers are will go above and beyond to get a sale. They will take care of you.

Either that, or call Dish and order an antenna through them. But still chances are it will be on the order and the tech will find an excuse not to put it in, saying they where out stock or it was not on the work order.

Been there, done that. These techs do not like installing antennas.

Reactions: JSheridan

I suggest you cancel your order and look up a local retailer. Explain the situation with the antenna and they will likely install it for free just to have your business.

If you ordered through Dish directly, or on the internet it will be either a Dish Installer or a sub contractor. They will do exactly what is on the work order. Nothing more!

A matter, i was a National Sales partner for Dish for several years. We learned through experience to promise nothing extra above and beyond the standard install because they won’t do it.

If you want a mirror, an additional Tv or anything additional it needs to be on the work order and paid for before the installer shows up.

Some techs won’t even let you modify the order once they arrive at your home. They make you cancel the whole order, and schedule another tech to come back out.

Bottom line, cancel your order and go through a local dealer. The local dealers are will go above and beyond to get a sale. They will take care of you.

Either that, or call Dish and order an antenna through them. But still chances are it will be on the order and the tech will find an excuse not to put it in, saying they where out stock or it was not on the work order.

Thanks for the information! I'm sure the antenna is something I can install myself, I just didn't have enough coaxial cabling. I'm still debating whether to keep the order in general since I have the NFL Sunday Ticket for this season. I'm just annoyed by DIRECTV's pixelation going on. I've had three service calls and they've told me it's a known issue. I call in and they don't have a clue, so who knows. My patience is starting to run out. I don't need the antenna with DIRECTV as they have all of my locals. May not be worth all the headache and just have to hope DIRECTV fixes the issues they've got going on. I've got to decide by Friday, either way. By what you said, getting the DISH/sub contractor to install it doesn't seem likely and if they did, who knows how much they would charge.

Thanks for the information! I'm sure the antenna is something I can install myself, I just didn't have enough coaxial cabling. I'm still debating whether to keep the order in general since I have the NFL Sunday Ticket for this season. I'm just annoyed by DIRECTV's pixelation going on. I've had three service calls and they've told me it's a known issue. I call in and they don't have a clue, so who knows. My patience is starting to run out. I don't need the antenna with DIRECTV as they have all of my locals. May not be worth all the headache and just have to hope DIRECTV fixes the issues they've got going on. I've got to decide by Friday, either way. By what you said, getting the DISH/sub contractor to install it doesn't seem likely and if they did, who knows how much they would charge.

I think it’s $99 for the antenna install and that may include the antenna.

There is no known pixillation issue on Directv Something is going on with Your install or equipment and the tech they send out doesn’t want to take the time to fix it.

The way you fix the issue your having is by starting to replace all the wiring and the LNB. If that does not work, then you replace the receivers.

Reminds me of a lady about 15 years ago who had Directv and was missing blocks of channels.

Turned out there was a transmitter near her home causing interference on the satellite frequencies causing transponder 19 not to come in.

She cancelled Directv and called me to install Dish.

I swap out the Directv dish and think I’m done in 10 minutes...

Same issue with dish on transponder 19.

So I had to move the Dish to the opposite side of the house where a brick wall was blocking the interference.

Any normal tech would have swapped the dish and got out of her house fast enough and not bothering checking all the channels.

She would have had the same problem with Dish if anyone else has installed her.

Unless the issue is related to software, there are very few “known” issues that would cause pixilation in the picture.

The only pixilation I have ever seen is a second or 2 after changing the channel. I even see that on cable.

I think it’s $99 for the antenna install and that may include the antenna.

There is no known pixillation issue on Directv Something is going on with Your install or equipment and the tech they send out doesn’t want to take the time to fix it.

The way you fix the issue your having is by starting to replace all the wiring and the LNB. If that does not work, then you replace the receivers.

Reminds me of a lady about 15 years ago who had Directv and was missing blocks of channels.

Turned out there was a transmitter near her home causing interference on the satellite frequencies causing transponder 19 not to come in.

She cancelled Directv and called me to install Dish.

I swap out the Directv dish and think I’m done in 10 minutes...

Same issue with dish on transponder 19.

So I had to move the Dish to the opposite side of the house where a brick wall was blocking the interference.

Any normal tech would have swapped the dish and got out of her house fast enough and not bothering checking all the channels.

She would have had the same problem with Dish if anyone else has installed her.

Unless the issue is related to software, there are very few “known” issues that would cause pixilation in the picture.

The only pixilation I have ever seen is a second or 2 after changing the channel. I even see that on cable.
One thing I will say, the technician I've had come here a few times now, I'm impressed with. He did my original install and I know he's been with the company for at least 10 years. He's very well respected, I know a guy who worked for DIRECTV as far as a technician and he told me that this guy I've had was his go-to guy for any issues. He did my install and then has been here at least 2 times since and he has replaced the LNB and the cabling from the satellite to inside the home. It's got a clear line of sight according to him. I see others experiencing the same issue dating back to 2017. I saw 17 or 18 pages on the AT&T/DIRECTV forum with people having the same issue. I've got a brand new satellite dish, brand new LNB, brand new cabling, brand new receivers (they aren't reconditioned). I also got a different technician in one of the service calls and he came in and said "Sorry, this is a known issue and there's literally nothing I can do right now, we aren't even supposed to be getting sent out for these service calls" - I'm afraid it's not going to go away anytime soon, which has me considering DISH.

Reactions: charlesrshell

That is all well and good if there are any local retailers in your area. There aren't even any shops near me that would install an antenna, and no Dish retailers other than Century Link who sub their Dish work out to random contractors. My install was done by a Dish employee. He did a great job and made sure I didn't want to add anything onto the order. He offered to install an OTA antenna, but it was UHF only, and we have one VHF channel now and more coming with the re-pack, so it wasn't really worth it. Also, he said he wouldn't have installed it on top of my chimney, where it would need to go to get clear air.

I ended up going ahead with the DISH installation. I asked the technician about the antenna and he just told me how to hook it up. You could tell he wasn't a fan of installing them. He said he's been getting so many service calls with customers wanting an antenna installed. I'm going to attempt to install the antenna myself and see how it goes. He installed a Hopper 3 and 3 Joey 3.0's. So far, so good. It's nice to have TV that actually works properly again!

I've either got something wrong or DISH is highly lacking in picture quality compared to DIRECTV. Most channels just seem to be lacking detail and seem grainy with a lot of artifacts in the background. Watching football on my local channels has been terrible with constant distortion of the picture throughout the game. Most of the problems I have seen have been on all of the local channels, but even the national channels don't look the greatest. Over the phone they said my signals were fine and such. No errors of any kind can be seen from the diagnostic page. When my installer installed it last week, he used my DIRECTV pole and included some little extra thing to the pole. He also used my existing cabling that I used with DIRECTV. I've got it set on the 4K/1080 option but have also tried 720P, which hasn't made a difference. It's doing it on all 4 TV's. I have a technician set to come out today but man, something just doesn't seem right. Seems to be lacking punch and I don't recall having this issue before. As noted above, I have the Hopper 3/Joey 3.0 setup. I am hoping there is something wrong and they find it, otherwise, I don't even know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts