Question about locking channels and guide

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Purely for the sake of cleaning up the guide. I understand I can lock channels and then hide locked, but is there an easy way to see all channels again? Or would you have to unlock them all or... what?

and when you lock channels do you then have to set a password? (Like... is this parental locks?)

If I just want to clean up the guide, would I be better off just creating a favorite list? (don't have any set up right now)

And if I create a favorite list can you easily add a channel if you forgot one? Or do you have to start over?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm at work and while I've been a dish sub for probably 10 years, I don't think I've ever done all this stuff.

Purely for the sake of cleaning up the guide. I understand I can lock channels and then hide locked, but is there an easy way to see all channels again? Or would you have to unlock them all or... what?

An easy way ? You can unlock them all at once by going back into the menu and choosing "Unlock system" or something like that.

and when you lock channels do you then have to set a password? (Like... is this parental locks?)

Yes. You use a PIN. This same PIN is used throughout the system.

If I just want to clean up the guide, would I be better off just creating a favorite list? (don't have any set up right now)

Probably would be easier.

And if I create a favorite list can you easily add a channel if you forgot one? Or do you have to start over?

Yes, you can "edit" your favorite list(s). No need to start over.

thanks, hall.

That started out as one question, evolved into several, and since I'm at work I couldn't just look at it. I appreciate you taking the time to step through it.

I like the lock out feature over the favorites when new channels are added. With the Locks, it will show as soon as it is made active but if you are in a favorite listing, you wouldn't see it until you go to All Channel or All Sub guides.

I make extreme use of locks. I've locked out all channels except about 60. This has the net effect of giving me the same guides for All Chan and All Sub, but I cant stand wading through hundreds of channels. If you do decide to start locking channels out, I suggest you do it in batches of 50 or so and then save changes. The first time or two that I locked out a few hundred, it was too much for the system, and I ended up losing the lockouts, and had to start over. Do it in small batches, and you wont have that problem.

I just hate having to set a password... hehehhe.... I usually set them... then a year later need to change something and can't remember what it is.

One advantage I love about doing locks is that locked channels do not come up as results in searches. I have every single channel that I don't receive (and PPV) locked out on my system so when I search for a comedy movie on Friday night, I'm only presented with movies that I will actually be able to watch. Downside is that I regularly miss things on free preview, because I never see the channel. Also, any time you have any locks set on a DVR receiver, you will need to enter your password to either delete, or un-protect a protected DVR event (I suppose for some, this could be an advantage).

One advantage I love about doing locks is that locked channels do not come up as results in searches.
I'll have to re-check what channels I have locked, but I believe we've seen "problems" related to this, including you (from another thread). I'm positive that I get results from channels I don't subscribe to and have locked out. I have all the Latino channels locked out, for example, but I'll get search results from 8xx channels. Those channels are red in the results too.

I had a run in with locks. I had recorded some 94xx channels back when that's only where they were. I then switched to the map-down low numbers. So I locked out most of the 94xx channels along with the PPV, shopping, and sports, etc. When I then looked at the recordings list (perhaps on an EHD) anytime I got to those old recordings I had to enter the password, just to see what it was because it locked out the descriptions. I would still like to lock out the duplicates but if I go back to old recording it is too much work. (Why do blacked-out duplicate channels appear in searches and timers?)
-Ken

I'll have to re-check what channels I have locked, but I believe we've seen "problems" related to this, including you (from another thread). I'm positive that I get results from channels I don't subscribe to and have locked out. I have all the Latino channels locked out, for example, but I'll get search results from 8xx channels. Those channels are red in the results too.
I'm pretty certain you don't get results from channels you have locked out and set to hide locked channels. Do you have locked channels set to "Hide Locked' (Hide/Show Locked - option 8)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)