Question about OTA aspect ratio.

DirtyMack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
I'm thinking about buying an indoor antenna, and cancelling the locals package. What i want to know is, will the broadcasts coming from the OTA antenna be in 16:9 (like the HD channels), or will i have to use the 811's stretch feature? In other words, will the screen size reconfigure itself whenever programs jump from HD to SD?
Thanks!

Yes and no.

If your local is broadcasting in HD, you need your aspect ratio mode to "Normal".

This will allow the 16:9 format, commercials will go back to 4:3 including having side bars.

Anything not filmed in HD will be 4:3 and you will need to use your stretch modes.

I have found that the 811 seems to remember what modes you want on what channels.

The only one I play around with is my locals, simply because some are HD and some are not.

I don't ever want bars on my TV except during commercials, I can live with them then.

peid said:
I don't ever want bars on my TV except during commercials, I can live with them then.

Honest question, why?
Personally, I can't stand the look of stretched video. It just doesn't look natural.
I see people all the time stretching out video to fill the entire screen.
I was talking to a woman who's family just purchased a large, wide-screen set.
She was complaining that she was feeling sick when she watched it. I told her to try turning off the stretching feature and she stopped having the motion sickness. But her husband insisted on having it turned on for some reason. I never understood why.

Can you explain why?

Big Bob said:
Honest question, why?
Personally, I can't stand the look of stretched video. It just doesn't look natural.

I agree with you ... but many differ ... I always figured it was often done to avoid burn in on those sets sensitive to it... but I've met lots who simply prefer the look of stretched SD...

Big Bob said:
Honest question, why?
I never understood why.
Can you explain why?
Because my plasma display asked very nicely if I would do it. How could I refuse her a partial stretch? I mean, after all, she's been quite nice to me so far. What's fair is fair.
:heart :love :yes :smug :rolleyes:

Not that you puriest will agree, but here is my opinion. Please no attacks. Your eyes will adjust to the stretched look in a short time and it looks better than the bars on the side.

jerryez said:
Not that you puriest will agree, but here is my opinion. Please no attacks. Your eyes will adjust to the stretched look in a short time and it looks better than the bars on the side.

Nicely said.

To be quite honest, after viewing the TV in stretched mode and going back to bars on the sides, the people look sick! They look to thin! :D

Plus it makes me feel better and relate more to my own weight problem! :D

It drives me crazy having those bars on the sides, and I don't want burn in either.

I agree about the black bars on the side for 4:3 broadcasts,they make
the picture look squeezed on a 16:9 rptv.My Panasonic 47" has an aspect
called Just that does a great job of stretching the picture without making
it look stretched.Plus if you have a 16:9 TV why waste a third of your picture
on black bars.The woman who got motion sickness from the stretched picture
must have a severe middle ear problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)