Question about service technician fees

Depends. If the muffler is old and things have rusted, yeah, you should have to pay for that. But if the car only has 10,000 miles on it and the muffler fell off because of poor build quality or flawed design, then no, you shouldn't have to pay. The repair tech who fixes the muffler in this second situation still gets paid - just not by you, but by the manufacturer.

How long since a Dish tech last worked on the dish? Does this dish have recurring alignment problems? If it's been working forever and just now developed a problem after years of use you'll probably have to pay. Or disconnect, and move on to a different service. If you're pretty sure it's an alignment problem, no harm in trying to learn how to align it yourself. If you fail, things are no worse than they were before (hopefully!) and then you can decide to pay someone to come out and fix it.

See post #18. In this instance you chose to lease, not purchase said "vehicle".

Both services now offer up everything under the sun for free, give free service calls, etc.

This is the biggest problem in the indusrty, you get everything up front for free, which in turn the customer thinks everything else is free. As far as the lease or own, some or most homeowner laws state that once something is installed or attached to your physical property, it becomes the property of the homeowner. I landscaped a yard for a man one time, then after the job was done, he refused to pay. I could not go back and digup the plants, because they have become part of the property, a lean had to be taken out on the home for any restution to take place. Also because someone sells of installs E* for you does not mean they work directly for Dish, and they are not going to d anything for free after warrenty has expired.

In that regard I do agree, it's total BS. Seems to me that if you elect to have DHPP, then you shouldn't have to pay anything. $29...even when you have DHPP seems like a slap in the face.

that may be BUT: the details of what is covered by the DHPP IS spelled out on the contract that the customer should be reading at the time of install. I know many customers dont bother to read this thing before signing it - but thats thier choice.

I for one always at least skim a damn contract BEFORE I sign it. Thats my choice.

Key word...LEASE. Whenever you LEASE a car, are you not responsible for any sort of maintenance? ;)
LEASE (as in from a car dealer), yes. RENT (as in from Avis, Hertz, etc.), no. And even in a lease, you are expected to pay for routine maintenance, not every problem that may come along. If the engine stops running and needs replacement for no fault of yours, you aren't going to be paying for that.

Leases are generally fairly formal things. Rental agreements, not so much. It's hard to say what the Dish agreement is exactly - it has elements of both lease and rental. For example, you are leasing/renting the 722, but your obligation is to continue buying a separate programming package, nothing about the 722. That's quite a different concept than a car lease example.

It doesn't really matter if Dish is leasing or renting. You have an agreement, whatever it is. You also have the option to get out of that agreement by paying an early termination fee. That may be the better choice if you think Dish is trying to nickel and dime you to death. Just cancel, and leave. Dish may decide to offer you a better deal if you threaten to leave, or they may not. But you have the option.

LEASE (as in from a car dealer), yes. RENT (as in from Avis, Hertz, etc.), no. And even in a lease, you are expected to pay for routine maintenance, not every problem that may come along. If the engine stops running and needs replacement for no fault of yours, you aren't going to be paying for that.

Leases are generally fairly formal things. Rental agreements, not so much. It's hard to say what the Dish agreement is exactly - it has elements of both lease and rental. For example, you are leasing/renting the 722, but your obligation is to continue buying a separate programming package, nothing about the 722. That's quite a different concept than a car lease example.

It doesn't really matter if Dish is leasing or renting. You have an agreement, whatever it is. You also have the option to get out of that agreement by paying an early termination fee. That may be the better choice if you think Dish is trying to nickel and dime you to death. Just cancel, and leave. Dish may decide to offer you a better deal if you threaten to leave, or they may not. But you have the option.

Continuing this analogy, if your engine quits working...beyond a certain warranty date...then yes, you ARE going to pay for it. The same thing applies with Dish's lease (and yes...it is a lease....read the paperwork). DNS guarantees everything for the 1st 90 days. Some retailers and RSPs may elect to go further. It really all depends.

And yes, if you decide to go below the minimum required programming package, you will pay a penalty. Does not the same thing apply to fuel (yeah...things are stretching...but it's the best analogy I can come up with). Would you not agree the 722 is the Cadillac or Corvette? And if so, is it not required to purchase premium fuel? ;)

I think our car analogy has run out of gas (har! har!)

It all boils down to what the customer is willing to pay. You know in advance, so people can't complaint about that. But if over time you find that you are not getting what you feel your money is worth, you as the customer can decide to leave. If I had to frequently have my dish realigned at $100 a pop, not because of anything I'd caused myself, then I personally wouldn't stay around very long. The rare realignment I'd be willing to pay for (or do it myself), but not if that became a routine ongoing cost. But that's me, others may choose differently.

This line of discussion really p*sses me off. If you have an electrician fix your wiring in your house, does he work for free? If you're renting a car, who pays for the gas? Jeez... some people need to grow up.

This is the biggest problem in the indusrty, you get everything up front for free, which in turn the customer thinks everything else is free. As far as the lease or own, some or most homeowner laws state that once something is installed or attached to your physical property, it becomes the property of the homeowner.

THANK you. Also let me point something else out... if you have DHPP and are willing to do the work yourself, DISH can and will send you replacement LNBFs, switches, seperators, ect. for free (providing you're speaking to an agent who is aware of that). Even if you don't have DHPP, $49/$99 is a *lot* cheaper than what it would cost to buy the replacement parts and do the work yourself.

To the best of my knowledge, Dish is the only one that requires a two year commitment before they even allow you to pay hundreds up front for a DVR, then pay monthly to use it, then pay additional monthly fess for maintenance, and still charge you when they come out to maintain things. And if you are tired of it all, they charge you to return the DVR.

I don't think anyone is saying that the people doing the work - the field techs - should not be paid. Of course they should. But there comes a point for some customers where they decide what it costs to maintain/use Dish is just not worth it. Whether that cost comes from programming, tech visits, additional monthly fees, commitment costs, or whatever. The overall cost of ownership (although you don't actually own anything) becomes the deciding factor. If the design of the system is such that frequent and expensive tech visits are the norm, that's a strike against the system from the customers viewpoint. And customers view the techs as part of the system, no matter how independent the techs think themselves to be.

Really, should there be such a thing as "routine maintenance" for a Dish setup? "Routine" as in the customer should expect to have to pay for it on a regular basis? For you techs out there, please tell us customers what these things are. Certainly, if the customer buggers up something then repair is required at their expense, but this is not routine.

I think the difference between a car lease and Dish Network is this:
With a car, I am required to pay for gas and maintenance even during the initial warranty period. However, I am not locked into any particular service provider, and all parts of the car are largely available to me to observe or modify as I see fit. I only need to restore the car back to its original condition when I return it.

That means that, if I get, say, a Toyota, I don't have to get it serviced at a Toyota dealership. There isn't a Toyota gas station which is the only place that has a key to my gas tank door. Since I'm not paying Toyota for a service, Toyota is not required to make sure that I am able to receive its service.

On the other hand, with Dish equipment, I am locked into a single service provider. I receive programming from Dish Network, so I expect Dish Network to make sure that I am able to receive the programming I pay for. I don't believe this means that the tech works for free. All it means is that my monthly fees cover any necessary maintenance or repairs that are required for me to keep receiving the programming I am obliged to pay for, and that I can't purchase from anywhere else.

In short - if I can only purchase the service for a device from one company, and the company provides the device, then I expect the company to take of the device, especially if the service cost is on the same order of magnitude as the device cost. Examples would be a satellite receiver, or a cell phone locked to a particular carrier.

If the device does not come bundled with a service, then I'm on my own with the device (such as a car, a home telephone, a computer, or an unlocked cell phone that doesn't come with a service plan)

Just my $0.02... here's hoping I can just keep getting my programming, and my principles about this aren't tested :)

Well

I have had a tech out twice due to a few times I've noticed HD and SD and even local channels lose signal but not completely, more like pixelation and drop outs but never to the point where its searching for signal. It can be on a clear day.They charged me the first time, the tech came in, asked what was wrong. I told him that not a lot really just occasional slight signal loss random channels whether it be hd or sd but I can go days and not do it. Then I can record something on dvr and see it and I showed him the recording loss there. All he did he pulled the tv out , checked cables in the back, got remote, check switch, etc then gave me his card and told me if it did it anymore to call him????

So a couple of weeks later, I'm noticing it again, Dish sends someone out, only this time, its free! The guy changed something on the Dish, came in looked at signal and said on a certain transponder its still really low, he seemed stumped but whatever he did, didn't work. I have 2 622's and they both do it. This is since I have upgraded to HD in january. Three years prior No problems with Dish whatsoever except for a couple of bad receivers they replaced for me, I had to just pay for shipping. So I call tech support one more time, the guy is like "look, it could be a lot of different things, I can send a tech out but he may or may not be able to figure out what the problem is. He said it could be something as simple as a dirty dish. I mean, there is no debris on my dish, I wiped it off anyway, but to be clear this doesn't happen often at all. It is especially noticeable on the HD channels. He told me they were known for that because of the bandwidth they use. Oh well, I said I guess don't send a tech out and I will just deal with it. He said OK. Wow. I'm seriously considering leaving Dish even though I have Windstream internet and Dish bundled. I don't know what else to do. This is not my field of expertise.

It ain't my dish though, it's theirs. And I pay them a monthly fee for what should be uninterrupted service. I don't understand why they require an additional fee for what should be routine maintenence. If my DSL breaks there isn't a fee to fix the wires outside.

That's a common refrain.Newsflash..The fees you pay are for PROGRAMMING!!!...If you chose to not participate in a warranty you made the choice ot pay for service that requirs a technician ( who must GASP!!!! be paid) to do the work..
If you lease a car, do you not have to pay for gas , oil changes and other routine maintenence? And if the vehicle is out of warranty other repairs as well?..As for your DSL/phone service, normally the user is responsible for the wiring from the pole/pedastal to the jacks. Unless you pay a fee for service of home wiring.
In your world, how do you think service people are compensated for their work?

I just ask the customer what they do for a living. I then ask them if they do it for free.
I have one.....On numerous ocasiuons a customer tels me that in aditon to the instal they'd like additional wrok performed not on the work order...I tell them that the work they wish to be done is chargable to them on site. It gets thick...
Customer tells me "Well they( I love they) told me the install was free."..
Then I explain what is included in a free basic install. Show them what it reads on the back of the Service Agreement. Some still won't get it.
So I ask them this: Do you work for a living....Yes.....Ok, suppose I am your boss. You are paid hourly or on commission. I come to your work station and ask you to work two hours over tonight..But I am not going to pay you. Would you do it?
That usually solves the issue.

I do work for free when the service (bug spraying) people have paid me for doesn't work.

I don't own any of the Dish equipment. I lease the 622, so it is technically theirs, I just have the pleasure of using it. So when the service doesn't work, the money I pay them monthly should cover anything that goes wrong with my system, from replacing broken receivers, to sending someone out to mess with the dish.
Wrong and wrong...First, the pest control you performed was subbstandard..If we do substandard work on a satellite system, we do service it free of charge.
the monthly fee covers PROGRAMMING only....That is spelled out in the service agreement when you signed off on the origianl install. The best policy is to do your homewowrk and read what you are about to sign before signing. Ignoance is no excuse.
Again ,if you lease a car, do you expect the lessor to pay for your gas and routine mantenence?

Here's what gets me, You pay the 5.99 monthly fee for protection, and if you need a service call, they still charge you!
I have an objection ot the truck roll fee..If a customer is paying for the warranty ,the $29 truck roll fee is over the top..Should be free.
BUT..Big BUT......If a customer chooses to not get the warranty, tough.,. They must pay up....

I think the difference between a car lease and Dish Network is this:
With a car, I am required to pay for gas and maintenance even during the initial warranty period. However, I am not locked into any particular service provider, and all parts of the car are largely available to me to observe or modify as I see fit. I only need to restore the car back to its original condition when I return it.

That means that, if I get, say, a Toyota, I don't have to get it serviced at a Toyota dealership. There isn't a Toyota gas station which is the only place that has a key to my gas tank door. Since I'm not paying Toyota for a service, Toyota is not required to make sure that I am able to receive its service.

On the other hand, with Dish equipment, I am locked into a single service provider. I receive programming from Dish Network, so I expect Dish Network to make sure that I am able to receive the programming I pay for. I don't believe this means that the tech works for free. All it means is that my monthly fees cover any necessary maintenance or repairs that are required for me to keep receiving the programming I am obliged to pay for, and that I can't purchase from anywhere else.

In short - if I can only purchase the service for a device from one company, and the company provides the device, then I expect the company to take of the device, especially if the service cost is on the same order of magnitude as the device cost. Examples would be a satellite receiver, or a cell phone locked to a particular carrier.

If the device does not come bundled with a service, then I'm on my own with the device (such as a car, a home telephone, a computer, or an unlocked cell phone that doesn't come with a service plan)

Just my $0.02... here's hoping I can just keep getting my programming, and my principles about this aren't tested :)
Yes..But the argument that the programming costs cover maintenence is false. And that is spellled out in the Service Agreement. Fees for programming are fo that purpose only..
The premise that the tech needs to be paid is spot on...But the money has to come from somewhere. Since the customers are paying the provider for programming only, any charge for agreed maintenence /repair of out of warranty service are proper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)