Question about wiring 2 dvrs to same tvs

bagsy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Charleston, WV
Is it possible to use 2 dual tuner dvrs and also be able to watch either one of them on both tvs? If so, how would this be wired? Would it be easier to place both receivers in one room or place one at each tv? My tvs aren't brand new, so I'm not sure how many/what type of inputs they have. Also, does E* charge a lease fee AND an additional dvr fee for the 2nd receiver? If so, I would be paying an additional $11/mo. for the 2nd dvr?

Your hooking up a total of two (2) TV correct?

If so, just place each reciever next to each television.

Get yourself 2-2way splitters and combine the signals at the TV coaxial input behind each TV.

Goto Ch 3 for DVR @ TV, Ch 73(or 60) for DVR @ other TV.

You'll incur @5 automatic for additional reciever, $10 if not plugged into phone line.

DVR Advantage includes 1 DVR access fee, otherwise additional like you said. If you get AEP - America's Everything Package, all DVR fees waived.

Yes, I am planning on 2 total dual tuner receivers for 2 tvs. Would I need to use 2 different remotes at each tv? Would that be easier rather than programming the inputs on one remote (if even possible with 2 satellite receivers)?

Whether I do this or not will all depend on MLB EI. I don't want to switch from E*, but I may if they don't get EI. If they do continue to carry EI, I am thinking of getting the 2nd receiver. There are many times --- especially spring and new fall tv season --- where there are 2 tv shows and a baseball game on that I want to watch. It would be nice to be able to watch/record all of them

A couple of assumptions here: first, with two dual-tuner DVRs, and only two TVs, they will both run in single mode; second, you're not talking about HD DVRs.

In that case you can put them both in the same room where the "primary" TV is, if that TV or sound system or whatever has multiple inputs. The two "TV1" remotes then stay in that room. Both TV2 remotes go to the other room. Use a splitter to combine the TV2 outputs to the other room. All four remotes of course need to be different addresses, and the TV2 channel needs to be different for each receiver.

Use a phone line splitter and a short cable to connect both DVRs to the phone line to avoid the "because we can" fee.

If your TV is so old it doesn't have any kind of video inputs, use another splitter to combine TV1 from both receivers. One of them on channel 3 and the other on channel 4. If doing this in fact causes them to interfere with each other (unwatchable signal from both) then in that case then I concur with what rcdallas said.

And yes it will cost you $11 bucks for the luxury of having that 2nd DVR, $16 if it's not connected to a phone line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)