Question about wiring.

fayrich

Old Fart
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2004
CLEVELAND, OHIO AREA
I am presently a Time Warner customer considering dumping them and signing up for a 3 service bundle from Windstream. My question is this-----I would want one HD receiver and one HD DVR. Presently the cable service enters the house on a single wire. I use a splitter before the first box to send first generation signal to 2 boxes. No problem with the quality. Will Dish allow this type of install or will they insist on 2 separate feeds from the dish to the boxes? Reason being that I have the wiring all pulled as needed, and it would not be an easy matter to repull new. I already know that making a run from box #1 to box #2 will not deliver HD to box #2. So this is definitely not an option. Just plain tired of 3 or 4 increases from TW in the past year for the same level of service. Oh, also would like to know if a telephone connection is required. Thanks for any help or advice that anyone can give.

Dish requires a cable run to each reciever the tech that comes out would have to run a dedicated line to each reciever and tv. How many HD TVs do u have and how many TVs are u wanting hooked up I am a tech

Also a telephone line is not required but by having either a telephone or high speed internet u can access dish in demand u can pay ur bill online as well as access many features that u cannot access with out having a connection

I am wanting to hook up to 2 HD sets. One with a HD receiver and the other with an HD DVR. Also, the present feed coming into the house that would take care of one box is RG6 cable that is not continuous, but 2 cables joined with a union. Will this work ok? Works fine with the TW cable. Will just have to figure the best way to enter the house for the run to the second box. Also, what about a telephone line connection?

Well What u will need is a 211 and a 612 reciever the 211 is a HD no dvr and the 612 is a hddvr but the will need a straight line with no breaks going to each reviever for u to recieve optimal performance. As far as the phone line it allows u to access dish on demand. And other online features but is not required. In some cases like mine we get bonuses on how many we actually have connected. But again its not required. Dish used to charge 5 dollars a month if u didn't have it connected but they don't anymore

I have a similar set up. A 722 in the living room and a 211 in the computer room. The cable that comes from the dish is a single cable with 2 separate wires. Somewhat akin to the old 300 ohm antenna cable. Once inside the house the wires are split and feed each receiver. The 722's TV2 output feeds back into the incoming cable via a DPD2 connector and then must be split again under the floor to feed TV2 in the downstairs family room..

Yes but u can't use a splutter before it hits that reciever or it will not work

This was how the installer wired it when I got my 722 at least 6 years ago. And it's always worked.. The cable runs to the DPD2 in. The DPD2 out goes to the Dish "splitter" which feeds the 2 sat inputs. The TV2 output from the 722 feeds back into the DPD2 UHF side.

Don't know what that last post is supposed to be, but one more question----ok, I get that having 2 boxes requires a seperate dedicated lead-in unbroken from the lnb's. But in my case I would never have both boxes on at the same time. So even though I would have a single lead-in split off before the 2 boxes, only one would be using the signal at any given time. Would this make any difference for me? As stated in my original post, having to run a new second lead-in cable poses a problem for me. No basement and an unmovable entertainment credenza that is impossible to get behind. Weighs a ton and on carpet. Thanks to all who have responded.

The installer will probably arrive with a VIP612 (HD DVR) and a VIP211 and a dish antenna. Let him run the cables as he needs. Yes, one coax has to go all the way from the last switch (usually inside the dish antenna LNB assembly) to each receiver. No splitters. Dwarren is confusing the issue and others were trying to correctly identify what he has. Hint: no splitters!

I'm a little concerned about your immobilized credenza. You want your Dish DVR HD receiver to get good ventilation. If you box it in, it will fry.

Thanks TheKrell. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and allow a second penetration into the house near the 2nd set involved. No problem with ventilation for the box. This is an open tv stand with plenty of air flow, and will be using the non-DVR box there. Perhaps my calling it a credenza was inaccurate.

OK; one more thing to think about. If you ask for a 3-TV setup (2 fed by the DVR and the 3rd off a 211) then Dish will set you up with a 622/722/722k instead of a 612, at no additional cost. If you ever want a Sling Adapter, you want the 722 or 722k. If you want OTA tuners, you need the MT2 module for a 722k. (One ATSC OTA tuner is built in on the 211/211k/222/612/622/722 receivers.) Decisions decisions.

dwarren2 said:
This was how the installer wired it when I got my 722 at least 6 years ago. And it's always worked.. The cable runs to the DPD2 in. The DPD2 out goes to the Dish "splitter" which feeds the 2 sat inputs. The TV2 output from the 722 feeds back into the DPD2 UHF side.

Its not a splitter, its a seperator. Completely different piece of equipment.

TheKrell said:
OK; one more thing to think about. If you ask for a 3-TV setup (2 fed by the DVR and the 3rd off a 211) then Dish will set you up with a 622/722/722k instead of a 612, at no additional cost. If you ever want a Sling Adapter, you want the 722 or 722k. If you want OTA tuners, you need the MT2 module for a 722k. (One ATSC OTA tuner is built in on the 211/211k/222/612/622/722 receivers.) Decisions decisions.

And then the installer will be supper happy doina a 2 room and gettibg credit for 3.

Personally I would go with a 722K in single mode and a 211K in the second room because the 722K is a much better receiver than a 612 and it will cost you the same as the 612 because the receiver with the most expensive fee on your account is free. Meaning you don't have to pay any receiver fees for the 722K and Just $7 dollars a month with the 211K.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)