question comments about the sling

Camdog916

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
So I get an e-mail from sling saying that are giving me a $50 rebate if I buy a new box. I'm thinking that's pretty good. So I sign up and the final price for the solo is $130 and HD is $250. I was thinking wow that's a little pricey so I look around the net and go on Amazon and what so you know. They have the solo and HD for the same price. So Sling really giving me a deal? NO! It would be better if they can give that $50 reabate and put it towards buying on Amazon or somewhere else.

Then I read all over the forums that the soon to be released Itouch app won't support my Sling AV. So this this how they get you huh? Of course I am not a happy camper. I really want to use the Itouch app when it comes out so do I suck it up and buy the solo? Do you think someone else will create an app that will support the older slingbox's?

My other issue is I am a dish network customer and I know Sling is coming out with a reciever that will have the sling software inside the Dish reciever. (God knows when that is coming out). Do you think that the itouch app will support the new reciever? Or do I just suck it up and get the solo?
And last thing. What is the difference between the solo and pro HD? I have an HD reciever. Does that make a difference?

Thanks everyone.

Then I read all over the forums that the soon to be released Itouch app won't support my Sling AV. So this this how they get you huh? Of course I am not a happy camper.
You have to draw the line somewhere; Apple does it all the time. You can't ask that every new Mac run the copy of Oregon Trail that you bought for your Apple ][. When you do make everything fully backwards-compatible, you wind up with a real trainwreck. Now is an excellent time for Sling to draw a line; sorry you're one of the old customers getting hurt.
My other issue is I am a dish network customer and I know Sling is coming out with a reciever that will have the sling software inside the Dish reciever.
Yes, they're going to play together quite nicely, when the 922 is released...hopefully by Christmas. :rolleyes:
What is the difference between the solo and pro HD? I have an HD reciever. Does that make a difference?
This really breaks it down: Sling Media - Selecting the Right Slingbox is Easy

If you're not streaming High-Def (pushing 720p/1080i to your remote client), and if you don't need a built-in ATSC/ClearQAM tuner (as long as you're on Dish, you don't), the PRO-HD may be a waste of money. If you think that spending $500+ on a Dish ViP-922 is in your near future, the PRO-HD is definitely a waste of money.

What Dish box do you have now?

If you're not streaming High-Def (pushing 720p/1080i to your remote client), and if you don't need a built-in ATSC/ClearQAM tuner (as long as you're on Dish, you don't), the PRO-HD may be a waste of money. If you think that spending $500+ on a Dish ViP-922 is in your near future, the PRO-HD is definitely a waste of money.

ARE THEY FREAKING NUTS? $500!!!!!! There is no way I will pay $500 for a receiver I can't keep and especially if it's from Dish Network. They are so far behind in HD channels and if I thought about switching over Direct I would kick myself. :eek: I have been a Dish customer for 3 years and have had issues with my current receiver and I have had to pay $50.00 every time they come out. You might ask why I stay with them? Well I LOVE the DVR and they way it works. I have a couple of friends that have Direct and they can't stand the way it misses DVR recordings and they are jelous of my 30 skip button. :D I know that's a lame reason to stay but their prices are cheaper too.

What Dish box do you have now?[/quote]

I have a 622 which I just went on Dish's website to find and I see they don't carry it anymore. :mad:

I have a sling question also.

I'm looking to get a Slingbox SOLO and hook it to my 722. I also plan on hooking up the 722 with SlingGuide because I was impressed with the searching ability.

The problem is I can't install the slingplayer s/w on my work computer (you know to use at break time ;) ). I've seen some talk of a portable app, but doesn't seem like there is anything stable. I also read about Sling having a beta web based slingplayer. For that option, do I have all the same functionality as the slingplayer s/w you would install on the PC?

If you already have a dual-TV DVR, the SOLO is probably fine, as long as you're willing to settle for 480i streaming.

I have been dealing with it on the Sling AV I think I will be okay with it. I can't log on to Sling from my work anyways (because I can't get around their firewall) and that is the only real place I want to watch anyways.

Has anyone come up with a solution to get it to work at places of employment?

You have to draw the line somewhere; Apple does it all the time.

BS. There was no reason for them to arbitrarily draw the line at this point. Especially the way they did it - letting everyone know right before the iphone app was getting ready to be released. This was a crap way to treat their older customers. Especially since the recent betas have worked just fine on the older boxes. If there was a technical reason, then OK but apparently there isn't. And even if there was, I'd be angry about the way they handled it.

BS. There was no reason for them to arbitrarily draw the line at this point. Especially the way they did it - letting everyone know right before the iphone app was getting ready to be released. This was a crap way to treat their older customers. Especially since the recent betas have worked just fine on the older boxes. If there was a technical reason, then OK but apparently there isn't. And even if there was, I'd be angry about the way they handled it.

With AT&T's new Terms of Service, I wonder if Sling foreknew what they were going to say and so they are trying to limit the bandwidth that would be used? Who knows, but it looks like AT&T isn't going to let SlingPlayer work over their networks, limiting it to Wifi.

Either way, it feels like it should work over wifi with whatever Sling product.

AT&T Repents

This just in from AT&T:

"The language added on March 30 to AT&T's wireless data service Terms and Conditions was done in error. It was brought to our attention and we have since removed it. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

This just in from Sling:

"We are still owned by EchoStar, so screw you who own the classic SlingBox. Go buy a new one if you want to sling to your iPhone."

I have a sling question also.

I'm looking to get a Slingbox SOLO and hook it to my 722. I also plan on hooking up the 722 with SlingGuide because I was impressed with the searching ability.

The problem is I can't install the slingplayer s/w on my work computer (you know to use at break time ;) ). I've seen some talk of a portable app, but doesn't seem like there is anything stable. I also read about Sling having a beta web based slingplayer. For that option, do I have all the same functionality as the slingplayer s/w you would install on the PC?

Sling does have a web app that I have used, it does require a web browser plug in though.

Sling - Watch full episodes, movies, and clips of your favorite TV and online shows

It does give you full control of your DVR like the slingplayer software does.

So which Slingbox should I buy so that I won't end up with the classic Slingbox?

I have an iphone and I wan't to buy a Slingbox. Which one should I buy? I don't want to end up with a Slingbox that won't be able to work with my iphone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts