Question for Southwest Michigan Customers

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Anyone know why Dish does not carry WXSP and D* does? I don't normally care about UPN but once in a while (like when the wings are on) I wish dish had it. Granted I get it OTA, but still, it's included in locals with D*.

I contacted WXSP ---- no response. I contacted Dish and they are just being their clueless selves. I noticed on the DishChannelChart site that it is listed as uplinked to 148.

it could be like it is here in the springs... E* doesnt have upn 57 but d* does for us its cauzed upn 57 is a low powered station and where E*s anttennas are it doesnt pick the station up..

WXSP is a low powered station. Only broadcasts at 9.42 KW (5000 KW is the max)

Dish had a rule that they wouldnt carry LP stations. The FCC rule says LP can't ask for must carry. DirectTv usually does carry them. Dish has the right to not carry them.

If its owned by a big player (in this case WOOD), some stations say "well, you dont get our ABC unless you carry the UPN that we own". That's how some LP's get on there. Also, if Dish cant get a good signal to the POP, they wont carry it.

Speaking of LP stations, just don't bring up WBQC to TNGTony :D

Well hey, thanks for the info. I figurd they were low power, but of course no one wants to answer the question. I am kinda surprised that WOOD has not tried the tactic you mentioned since they control NBC and 1 of the ABC's in this DMA.

It depends on how many stations they own.

Pappas did that with Dish when 3 of their stations were on the wings. They wouldn't allow Dish to have any more of their stations until those 3 were moved off the wings. Unfortunately for Dish, Pappas owned alot of the "big 4" stations. If WOOD owns a lot of ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX, they could have used that. If they own a bunch of lower powered stations, they don't have much of a leg to stand on.

The only reason I can think is the signal isnt good enough. I know both the UPN and PAX are on 148..must be testing until they know the signal is good.

I live in SW Michigan and I get UPN (channel 30). It is part of the South Bend local package. As for GR/Kal locals, not sure why you are not getting that channel. In South Bend, UPN is affiliated with WSBT (CBS) and they were forced to carry their sister station.

I believe Berg has already answered why they won't carry WXSP (upn). I am tempted to "move" to south bend. Question though, do you get michigan sports or indiana?

riski said:
I live in SW Michigan and I get UPN (channel 30). It is part of the South Bend local package. As for GR/Kal locals, not sure why you are not getting that channel. In South Bend, UPN is affiliated with WSBT (CBS) and they were forced to carry their sister station.

riski

you might be in a different DMA.....Satinkzo is the Grand Rapids DMA...you sound like you're in the South Bend

I'm in the DUluth, MN DMA and we don't have UPN or WB...WB is cable only and UPN is a digital subchannel on the NBC station.....and doesnt qualify for must carry :(

Claude Greiner said:
Solution is to move to Detroit and get the Detroit Locals Package.

I thought about that, but never asked anyone... What is the black out situation there with the Lions and Wings? *(you do live in Detroit I presume due to the dish store mailing address) Over he in Kalamazoo, I get Chicago and Detroit sports, I don't wanna lose some stuff to black outs in Detroit.

Dang, if I read the spot beam info correctly, Detroit is on 110 TP10 Sb 10. It doesn't appear to have coverage on my part of the state. I am on 119 Tp 5 sp 9 and Tp7 sb 11. I could get Chicago or Indianapolis though and lost my detroit sports. Oh well, Just continue to use my ota antenna for the few that Dish doesn't carry.

easiest way to see if a spot beam is covering your area, is go into the insdtall menu (6-1-1) and change the stuff. check Dish 110 and in the transponder screen select "10" and see what you get for signal. If you're in the area, it would register a signal :)

Chicago big 4 are on CONUS, so it doesnt matter where you are, and some are on 61.5. Its the few that are on spot

Yeah, I am in the St Joseph and am in the South Bend DMA. because I am in Michigan, I do get the Detroit FSN and I do have the Super Dish. There are maps of each DMA out there somewhere on the net...I just don't know where.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts