Question for those who had their 721 replaced and were given a monthly credit

makman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hi,

When dish replaced my two 721s for 722s (at their insistence) about three years ago, they promised me no additional fees ever. I have this in writing. I had been getting a monthly $12 credit since then. I also have a receiver fee of $17. However on my last bill that was generated, that monthly credit has dropped off. I have been told by someone in the DIRT team that the credit should have stopped over a year ago. I know others received the same type of credit. Are you still getting yours?

Mitch

I'm guessing you have in writing no additional fees ever, unless something - like unless you upgrade to another receiver etc...? I am not in your situation so can't answer your question. I would think emailing or faxing them the proof you have would help get the credit back.

Sounds like a legal case to me for breach of contract. But this would have to be settled in small claims court. Knowing Charlie and his stubborn ways , you would be dead long before he would ever settle it. :fencing:

Dead or gone to the competition.;)

Since this came to the forum, I feel that I did not explain the situation clearly enough in the PMs. Lets go "hypothetical".

Originally, there was a customer who had two 721s. Due to the product no longer being supported, DISH offered them a replacement. The receivers they had were purchased and therefore owned by them. Since we were not supporting the receivers any longer, and they had spent the money on them, we gave them a "trade". At the time, I believe the offer was for a 510 receiver as a direct swap (at least that is what I show).

Also, at the time of this swap, additional receivers were $5 a month on the monthly statement and DVRs had a $6 per receiver DVR attachment. For the receiver that was the direct swap, the monthly statement would have shown $5 for the receiver, and $6 for the DVR fee per receiver. To counteract that $6 (X2=$12 in your situation) the customer (as part of a "sorry" for the hassle) was given a $12 a month credit. Therefore the customer was only paying the $5 like they would have paid had the receivers not been swapped.

Instead of the 510 receivers, the customer chose two 722s, and a tech came out and installed them. Not only did they receive a huge upgrade at the time (larger capacity for recording, HD, and a DUO receiver), but the "waiver" on the DVR fee that was then added to the account. At the time, the waiver was basically a credit offsetting the charge for DVR service ($12 charge = $12 credit=$0).

Fast forward to the point where the charge was permanently waived with a code instead of manual credits by an agent (meaning DVR Fee showing as $0 for account level, and therefore did not need a credit to "offset" it). The credits continued 16 months after the charge disappeared, however, due to the fact that the pricing change was unforeseen at the time they were applied (basically maxing out the length of time the credits could be applied manually). So the bill was DVR Fee $0, credit $12, and that continued from that time until the credits expired.

During this time, as well, the receiver fees went up from $5 to $17 for a DUO DVR, but still no DVR fee being added as was promised during the 'swap'.

According to the email you sent me, the receiver fees themselves were never mentioned in the offer for the swap, nor was programming. In fact, to hold to the letter of that email, it was specifically detailed that the DVR fee would be waived, indefinitely. It has been waived, and there was a credit mistakenly applied on top of not being charged.

Had the swap never happened, and the 721s still been supported, a customer would be paying an additional $5 a month ($10 for a receiver fee after the first). I can downgrade you to VIP612s (that you would own) to put you back to what fees would have been had the discontinued support for 721s never happened.

I hope this helps.

**EDITED**

Last edited:
Couple of clarifications.

First, I paid $300 to get the 722s instead of the receivers offered. So I paid for my huge upgrade.

Second, the email I forwarded clearly states the following:

DISH CEO Office:"We will not charge you the DVR fee for either receiver nor will you see any other charges you haven’t currently being paying besides the HD package." (my italics)

Me: "Just to confirm, these fee waivers are perpetual, with no termination date, correct?"

DISH CEO Office:"That’s correct, no termination."

I believe the $17 fee without an offsetting credit breaks that promise.

Mitch

If Dish raised the additional receiver fee why should you get a credit?

The way I read your "e-mail" it says the DVR fee is waived. I'll play devils advocate and the "nor will you see any other charges you haven’t currently being paying besides the HD package" is true. You were paying an additional fee of $5 (as noted in post 1). The fact Dish changed the rates of additional receivers still keeps the "nor will you see any other charges you haven’t currently being paying besides the HD package" thing in tact. You paid an additional receiver fee with a 721 and now a 722. If its $5, $10, $17 or $40 a month its still a fee you paid before the swap

your $12 credit should really be $6 now. Dish use to charge per DVR of $6. Now its one $6 charge. So you should get a $6 credit for the DVR fee

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)