Question re: Limited OTA success and the HR10-250 (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jabd

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 2, 2004
17
0
Pittsburgh, PA
I have tried three different HD OTA receivers had mixed results. I have tried a Samsung SIR-TS160, a standalone Samsung HD box, and the tuner built in to my Sony 42A10.

In my frustration, I even signed up for a promotion with Adelphia to get my local HD and compare their service to D*. I realized quickly that the Adelphia DVR leaves alot to be desired. I would rather stay with D* and I am a huge fan of Tivo.

I would like to test a HR10-250 to see if I can get a reliable signal but don't want to get into a new commitment with D* in order to test it.

So my question is, if I buy a HR10-250 on Ebay, do I have to activate the box with D* in order to test the OTA tuner?

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
803
0
Vallejo, CA
The receiver will work fine without being connected to a satellite or without D* service. BUT it WILL NOT record unless you're with D* and pay their DVR fee.


jabd said:
I have tried three different HD OTA receivers had mixed results. I have tried a Samsung SIR-TS160, a standalone Samsung HD box, and the tuner built in to my Sony 42A10.

In my frustration, I even signed up for a promotion with Adelphia to get my local HD and compare their service to D*. I realized quickly that the Adelphia DVR leaves alot to be desired. I would rather stay with D* and I am a huge fan of Tivo.

I would like to test a HR10-250 to see if I can get a reliable signal but don't want to get into a new commitment with D* in order to test it.

So my question is, if I buy a HR10-250 on Ebay, do I have to activate the box with D* in order to test the OTA tuner?

Thanks in advance.
 

jabd

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 2, 2004
17
0
Pittsburgh, PA
raymo721 said:
Being an old Army Commo troop. Your reciever is only as good as your antenna.--Ray


I have used the same antenna in the same position for each receiver. My new Sony TV had the best performance. I don't know enough about it to explain why. The other two were made by the same mfg. Perhaps Samsung and Sony have different designs??
 

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
2,656
0
DONORA PA
Fgsilva said:
The receiver will work fine without being connected to a satellite or without D* service. BUT it WILL NOT record unless you're with D* and pay their DVR fee.

i could be wrong, but i think you are mistaken.

yes the ota portion will work with the sat coax unscrewed. but the unit has to be activated first. other than that it is a brick. there are numerous posts on this site about this subject. this aint voom.
 

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
803
0
Vallejo, CA
you may be right. I could see OTA while I waited for D* installation and my hd tivo wasn't connected to the sat; but the unit had indeed been previously activated.

On a related note: I have an indoor amplified radio shack antenna that I split between the HD TIvo and an 811. I'm getting great reception with the HD tivo for the OTA (signals in the 80s for most channels) but only 50s for the 811!

dragon002 said:
i could be wrong, but i think you are mistaken.

yes the ota portion will work with the sat coax unscrewed. but the unit has to be activated first. other than that it is a brick. there are numerous posts on this site about this subject. this aint voom.
 

Ricknau

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 12, 2004
125
0
Jabd,

What do you mean by "limited success" and "mixed results"?

jabd said:
I have used the same antenna in the same position for each receiver.

But if it's a crappy antenna...

Don't those receivers have an OTA signal strength meter? That's where you have to start. If the siganl is weak (and I'll bet it is) then you need a better antenna and/or amplifier.

BTW, I can't swear to it, but I beleive my box had OTA coming in before the installer called in to activate it.
 
Last edited:

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
63,501
4,000
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
As for any OTA antenna .....

The HIGHER the better ....

If you have an antenna on the roof, it will do much better than indoors.

Unless you are very close to your towers.

I would love to have a tower system for my OTA , but cannot afford the cost.

So mine is strapped to the end of the house on a pipe with a rotor approx 30 ft up.

If I recall correctly, If you have a D* receiver (newer ones) you have to have a dish attacthed and pointed in order to get the set up to continue, in order to get to the OTA antenna section, unfortunatly...
With the older receivers it was not nessasary to have a signal.
Also, if the receiver has already been activated, at some time, the OTA will work fine without you re-activating it.

Jimbo
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,235
13,942
Cheshire CT
Jimbos said:
As for any OTA antenna .....

The HIGHER the better ....

If you have an antenna on the roof, it will do much better than indoors.

Unless you are very close to your towers.

I would love to have a tower system for my OTA , but cannot afford the cost.

So mine is strapped to the end of the house on a pipe with a rotor approx 30 ft up.

If I recall correctly, If you have a D* receiver (newer ones) you have to have a dish attacthed and pointed in order to get the set up to continue, in order to get to the OTA antenna section, unfortunatly...
With the older receivers it was not nessasary to have a signal.
Also, if the receiver has already been activated, at some time, the OTA will work fine without you re-activating it.

Jimbo


Outside is better than inside, but higher is not always better than lower, almost always better, but not always.
 

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
63,501
4,000
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
raoul5788 said:
Outside is better than inside, but higher is not always better than lower, almost always better, but not always.

Well, My thinking was that if you are trying to get HD from an OTA antenna you are generally looking for a UHF signal to be picked up from the antenna, and seeing the towers are usually a distance (as in miles) away, the higher the antenna the easier it is to clear trees and other obsticles that could cause issues.

I personally will stick to my post

Jimbo
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,235
13,942
Cheshire CT
Jimbos said:
Well, My thinking was that if you are trying to get HD from an OTA antenna you are generally looking for a UHF signal to be picked up from the antenna, and seeing the towers are usually a distance (as in miles) away, the higher the antenna the easier it is to clear trees and other obsticles that could cause issues.

I personally will stick to my post

Jimbo

That is absolutely (almost) always true. Sometimes the signals are stronger at a lower altitude (but not normaly).
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top