Question regarding Installation of DISH 500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

antonikarl

Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
New York
Hi everyone! I would like to upgrade to DISH 500 and keep my current DISH 300 so I can receive programming from the 61.5 satellite location. However, it was my father who originally installed my current Dish Network system about 6 years ago and he had to put the cable through numerous walls in our house. Therefore, I was concerned that the installer will not be able to hook up the DISH 500 to the receiver if he requires access to the cable running indoors since my father would most likely not be home during the time the installer would come and my father is the only one that knows where exactly the cable is. After reading some of the installation guides on dishnetwork.com, I realized that the switch can be installed outdoors. Therefore, the only solution that I can think of is if it is possible for the installer to disconnect the cable from the DISH 300 and reconnect it to the switch instead and connect 2 new cables to each dish. Does anyone know if this is possible or if the installer will require access to the indoor cable? Currently the cable comes out from the inside through a hole drilled in the basement and it goes up the side of the chimney to where our dish is located. I only have one receiver and I think it's a JVC 3000 but I'm not 100% sure.

You bet - in fact that's almost certainly what he will do - if the old cable is up to spec (RG-6 2150MHz or better). You should tell the installer what your current setup is so he can bring the right hardware. It's probably "Legacy" and NOT "DishPro" being 6 years old.

You should be able to get a free upgrade to a DISH 500 from DISH. Give them a call 800-333-3474 they will install the equipment you need Legacy or Dish Pro.

Thanks for you response Simple Simon but how do I find out if my old cable is up to spec? I know the cable is an RG-6 but I do not know how many Mhz? Wat kind of cable was typically sent with a DISH 300 in 1997 and 1998? Also, what is the difference between Legacy and Dish Pro?

rk69rn said:
If it's rg6 you should be fine.
That depends.

If we're talking Legacy gear, you're right.

If we're talking DishPro, it must be at least RG-6 rated to at least 2150MHz.

Cable from the late 1990's may not be rated - but also might still work with DishPro. Also, I don't know if your JVC is DishPro-compatible. If it's not, you'd need a DP-Legacy converter in addition to making sure all the gear is DP.

Look for the DishPro logo on the LNBs tos ee what you got - but I'll bet on Legacy. If so, just make sure your new gear is Legacy, and life is good.

The technical differences between the 2 have to do with how they send the signals down the cable, and how the switches & LNBFs are controlled. Only important thing is that they can NOT be mixed within the same system.

Thanks again Simple Simon! I'm going to call Dish Network to schedule the free installation as soon as I can. If I call on monday, do you think they will be able to come as early as tuesday or wednesday? I'm going on vacation for about two or three weeks starting wednesday or thursday and I'd like to get the installation over with before I go so I don't have to worry about it when I get back. Also, will this installation be a standard installation or will I have to pay the installer anything?

antonikarl said:
Thanks again Simple Simon! I'm going to call Dish Network to schedule the free installation as soon as I can. If I call on monday, do you think they will be able to come as early as tuesday or wednesday? I'm going on vacation for about two or three weeks starting wednesday or thursday and I'd like to get the installation over with before I go so I don't have to worry about it when I get back. Also, will this installation be a standard installation or will I have to pay the installer anything?
Highly unlikely you can get an install in a day or two. It takes E* that long just to figure out how to dial a phone.

I don't know what upgrade deal you're getting, so can't say for sure, but it sounds like you'll be OK with a 'standard' install, as long as they know you're ending up with a 3-satellite setup from the beginning.

Existing single legacy receiver and Dish 300 = add Legacy Dish 500 with Twin LNBF + SW21, and re-aim the Dish 300 to 61.5. No big deal. In fact, it's the same setup I've got except I run 2 SW-21's and have a feed for the 2nd tuner in my 921.

It varies by region. If you were dealing directly with a retailer getting receivers and such, it could be a different story - like within 48 hours. In your case, I'd schedule it for the earliest day you know you're back in town.

Thanks for all the help Simple Simon! I couldn't schedule the installation yet becuase my parents weren't too thrilled with having two dishes on our roof. The only reason I wanted to keep my DISH 300 was because I thought that the 61.5 satellite was the only one that contained the channels that are showing Euro Cup games on PPV, but I found out that a bunch of channels on the 110 sattelite were showing it as well so I'll just replace the 300 with the 500. Is it the same deal with this setup as well? Can I use my current cable to connect directly to the DISH 500?

Thanks for the quick response Simple Simon, but remember the problem in my first post? The installer won't be able to have access to the cable since it is wired through so many walls inside. Wouldn't the installer need access to the cable in order to upgrade it like your saying? Is he required to upgrade it in order for it to work properly?

Sorry - sometimes I lose track. When I have doubts about existing in-wall cabling, I simply don't use it. I punch fresh holes through the wall. No doubts, guaranteed to work. The old cabling can then be used to distribute the V output of the satellite receiver through the house if desired.

If the system is DishPro, the cable MUST be RG-6 (or better) swept to 2150MHz (or better).

I don't really have any doubts about my existing cable. However, I rather not have to punch any more holes through the walls unless it is absolutely neccessary to do so. I just wanted to know if my existing cable (definitely an RG6) would be compatible with the DISH 500.

I've determined already that my system is legacy, but I'll have the installer check out the cable when he comes. I'll tell you what he says. Thanks again for all your help.

I scheduled the DISH 500 installation for Tuesday June 15th, but I checked my cable to make sure that it was indeed an RG-6. There are 2 cables. One of them (marked RG59) leads to my rooftop antenna for my local channels. The other one that leads to the dish is marked "Series 6." I am assuming that this means that it is an RG6. Am I correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)