Questions about 721 unit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mlinuxg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
I'm looking at buying a new receiver to replace my 5000 which is starting to act up and I'm looking at getting a 721. I would prefer an HD PVR but the 921 is ridiculously overpriced.

Does the 721 have an off air tuner built in like the 5000?

Will the 721 work with a Dish500 dish and the LNBs that come with the Dish500 dish?

Since the 721 has a harddrive in it and I'm assuming a fan I'm concerned about the unit being loud. If you own a 721 do you hear the harddrive or fan?

Will the 721 work with the DP+44 switch that is coming sometime within the next decade :)

I'm assuming that I should be able to install the receiver on my own. My thinking is that I just need to unplug the old 5000 and plug in the 721. I hope that it isn't anymore complicated than that.

Thanks in advance for your replies on this.

Mike

mlinuxg said:
Does the 721 have an off air tuner built in like the 5000?
No.
mlinuxg said:
Will the 721 work with a Dish500 dish and the LNBs that come with the Dish500 dish?
Yes.
mlinuxg said:
Since the 721 has a harddrive in it and I'm assuming a fan I'm concerned about the unit being loud. If you own a 721 do you hear the harddrive or fan?
No, I can't hear it at all. I used to have a 7100, and could hear the fan/drive. the 721 is silent.
mlinuxg said:
Will the 721 work with the DP+44 switch that is coming sometime within the next decade :)
Should. I have mine on a DP34 switch and it works great.

mlinuxg said:
I'm assuming that I should be able to install the receiver on my own. My thinking is that I just need to unplug the old 5000 and plug in the 721. I hope that it isn't anymore complicated than that.
the 721 is a DUAL TUNER box, so you need 2 satellite feeds to it or it won't work at all. Aside from that, yes, it's very easy.

you may need different lnb's since you need to cable runs. check with dish they may provide them for you if needed.

LER said:
No.

Yes.

No, I can't hear it at all. I used to have a 7100, and could hear the fan/drive. the 721 is silent.

Should. I have mine on a DP34 switch and it works great.

the 721 is a DUAL TUNER box, so you need 2 satellite feeds to it or it won't work at all. Aside from that, yes, it's very easy.

I currently have just one line coming from my dish. Do I really need to run another line to get the 721 to work? Can it work off of one line?

mlinuxg said:
I currently have just one line coming from my dish. Do I really need to run another line to get the 721 to work? Can it work off of one line?
YES, you *MUST* have BOTH tuners connected to the satellite.

It will *NOT* work with only one input connected.

Sorry for the bad news.

LER

mlinuxg said:
No, it must have two feeds and today that means two lines and they have to be the same exact switch setup.

If you're coming from a Dish 5000, you have legacy LNBs. To use any of the "DP" switches you'll need to replace your legacy LNB with a DP LNB. However, the 721 is suppose to work with legacy LNBs. You just have to have two lines.

LER said:
YES, you *MUST* have BOTH tuners connected to the satellite.

It will *NOT* work with only one input connected.

Sorry for the bad news.

LER

Thanks LER, looks like I will have to go with a 510.

Mike

mlinuxg said:

Yes yoiu really do need another line for the 721 to work. Additionally both lines need to be connected to identical switch configurations ie. both lines to SW21 switches connected to 110 and 119.

Ddavis said:
. However, the 721 is suppose to work with legacy LNBs. You just have to have two lines.
It does work with Legacy LNBF's, but works BETTER with DishPro stuff.

My 721 originally was on a SW64 and Legacy stuff. It had issues where pieces of the switch would croak, and we replaced it like 4 times in 3 years. DNSC (Dish Network Service Corp) finally replaced all the LNBF's and Switches with DishPro stuff, and it's been MUCH better since.

LER said:
It does work with Legacy LNBF's, but works BETTER with DishPro stuff.

My 721 originally was on a SW64 and Legacy stuff. It had issues where pieces of the switch would croak, and we replaced it like 4 times in 3 years. DNSC (Dish Network Service Corp) finally replaced all the LNBF's and Switches with DishPro stuff, and it's been MUCH better since.
I replaced a Dish 5000 and 1000 using legacy LNBs with a PVR 721 and two Dish 301's a couple of months ago. My contact at the corporate office switched me to a DP Quad LNB. So, I never had the 721 on legacy stuff. I just wanted to mention the possibility because so many others have claimed it works fine.

mlinuxg said:
Does the 510 model work well with a Dish500 dish and the original LNBs?
I assume yes, but don't have personal experience with the 510. I have 2 501's and my 721 (total of 4 tuners).

Sorry I can't be more helpful with the 510.

The 721 does in fact have an off-air tuner like the 5000 - before I got my local channels from dish, I had it connected to my antenna. BUT you can't use any DVR functions with the off-air tuner.

Oh, and by the way, I have it connected up to a legacy system (SW64 and 3 satellites) - it works, but I occasionally get errors about checking the switch, which always checks fine.

pacman said:
The 721 does in fact have an off-air tuner like the 5000 - before I got my local channels from dish, I had it connected to my antenna. BUT you can't use any DVR functions with the off-air tuner.
No, it does NOT have an off air tuner. If the unit is off, it will pass through the cable/antenna, but it does NOT integrate them with the receiver.

Oops!! My bad. I deleted the incorrect post...sorry about that, I was sure that it worked before I got the locals...time for a drink or two...

pacman said:
Oops!! My bad. I deleted the incorrect post...sorry about that, I was sure that it worked before I got the locals...time for a drink or two...

Don't worry about it pacman you ought to see some of my posts!
:D Have a good one

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)